Mice In The Grain Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingy

Reaction score
Maryland, Newcastle,New South Wales, Australia, Ea
3 months ago i moved houses and after i finally settling in i thought itd be great to start brewing again. Only to find 3 out of 5 containers of grain have had mice eat there way through the plastic lid and fall into the grain. Not happy as 1 container was had nearly a full sack of grain in there.

Not sure what im going to do now,might have to get some stainless steel containers :lol: That will bling the shed up haha

Ah well probably only lost about $150 worth of grain :(

3 months ago i moved houses and after i finally settling in i thought itd be great to start brewing again. Only to find 3 out of 5 containers of grain have had mice eat there way through the plastic lid and fall into the grain. Not happy as 1 container was had nearly a full sack of grain in there.

Not sure what im going to do now,might have to get some stainless steel containers :lol: That will bling the shed up haha

Ah well probably only lost about $150 worth of grain :(

What sort of containers were they mate? I was thinking about buying a few of them snap lock, el cheapo storage containers from crazy clarks or etc, the big 30L odd types to store grain in. But there has been the odd mouse turning up as of lately, so might have to get some barrels. Ideas Ideas..

What sort of containers were they mate? I was thinking about buying a few of them snap lock, el cheapo storage containers from crazy clarks or etc, the big 30L odd types to store grain in. But there has been the odd mouse turning up as of lately, so might have to get some barrels. Ideas Ideas..

Yea there the snap lock sort where the handles hold the lid on, 3 for 20 bux from super cheap auto. At my old place never had a problem. But this new house the mice have had a field day in the shed.

Kingy,
If you can get your hands on a couple of 44G drums with the removable clamped type lids they are perfect for keeping vermin away, this is what I use, there is a guy in brisbane who sells them for $12.50 ea. They previously held apple juice in plastic bladders so they are perfect.

cheers

Browndog

I'm pretty sure they can squeeze past though containers where the handles are used to hold the lid down. Generally you end up with a pretty large area that does not have any clamping force on it and those mice are damn persistant.

Something that clamps around the lid's entire edge is ideal.

Cheers SJ

Kingy you need one of these they also double as a brew assistant This one keeps my grain in perfect condition with out having to lock it away.

View attachment 28618 Cheers :icon_cheers:

ive also heard of mice chewing thru plastic to get to the grain!

Kingy you need one of these they also double as a brew assistant This one keeps my grain in perfect condition with out having to lock it away.

Thats a great looking cat mate, got some real character about it...
Even looks like the one in my pic.. lol

but then youre gonna need one of these; cat_muncher.jpg

Attachments

• cat_muncher.jpg
    cat_muncher.jpg
    205.7 KB
what a beautiful cat.... I love cats. Can we start up a cat thread!

try one of these.........................................for the grain not the cat

B005-Galv-Dustbin.jpg

plastic bin inside metal bin

what a beautiful cat.... I love cats. Can we start up a cat thread!
She is a Maine Coon Katie very affectionate, follows you around much like a dog, runs up your back and lays around your neck when she gets tired and needs a lift, mean as hell on mice, rats, and rabbits. A real farm girl.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic:

Holy hell Stagga what is that, we have some weird wildlife in tassie but haven't come across anything like that

:eek:

Staggalee that is horrible!

Dr S no children or animals obviously!

Cats but no kids. Ratsak, like all poisons or chemicals is safely stored in the shed where the cats arent allowed to be.

I store my chook pellets in a metal bin to stop the mice getting that. About the only thing they cant chew their way through...... a bit exy if you have 1 bin per bag of grain though! Ratsak is much cheaper. :ph34r:

And my yard is now dog proof - after 60ish AGs i have managed to spread the hops from the kettle out to every corner on my yard. I dare the bastards to shit on my lawn.....

Back