Mice In The Grain Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And my yard is now dog proof - after 60ish AGs i have managed to spread the hops from the kettle out to every corner on my yard. I dare the bastards to shit on my lawn.....

oh you do, do you? :lol:

124669668_5bec064b77_o.jpg

stagga.

I use an old deep freezer that dosn't ...

7 or 8 sacks of grain + all the assorted specialitys in smaller bags ...
cheers

Staggalee that is horrible!

Thats Stagga's cat. That and his little fat dog with no legs he calls them Ren and Stimpy :lol: ;)
Cheers
Steve

I've had a few mice in my shed lately, i trap them and just when i think i've got them all, i see another couple.

You'd think seeing their buddies with thier necks snapped would deter them but they just climb over the top and finish off the cheese!

They are adaptive, tricky little bastards, if they didn't eat my grain i'd admire them.

I've had a few mice in my shed lately, i trap them and just when i think i've got them all, i see another couple.

You'd think seeing their buddies with thier necks snapped would deter them but they just climb over the top and finish off the cheese!

They are adaptive, tricky little bastards, if they didn't eat my grain i'd admire them.

You should use the enviromental traps, about $10 from produce stores.
I got 12 mice in the one trap in the bird aviary, once they go in, they can`t get out.

stagga.

You should use the enviromental traps, about $10 from produce stores.
I got 12 mice in the one trap in the bird aviary, once they go in, they can`t get out.

stagga.

enviromental traps? and what then.....relocate the mice a few houses up so they just come back again?

i used one of those plastic enviro traps once...woke up to a mouse doing 360 donughts on my kitchen floor cause it was still very well alive...then had to pick the bugga up, plastic bag it and throw it in the bin, still alive. i prefer mine dead.

Found this little fella and his missus chewing on some grain I left out by accident. Im glad it was only 250g and not 25kg!!! Caught them both in the bucket and paper trap

P3280072.JPG

Why dont you use large old fashioned rubbish bins bins from bunnings to put your sacks in? Nothing will get in there.

Good timing for the thread revive,

I've got a large old freezer that I'm having difficulties getting a compressor fan for, so not being used for it's intended purpose yet as I'm worried how much power it would suck. It's become the grain storage chest. I leave the drain hole open so it can breath and not mold up; this reminds me to put some flywire over it.

QldKev

We've recently had an infestation of mice in the shed where I store grain/brew. I use large plastic boxes with clip on lids for my grain. I had one with a big crack in the lid some time ago and I decided I'd better tape it up. I'm glad I did so because I found mouse dropping and dried urine all over the box lids. Also droppings in my urn and even between the rollers of my mill! They must have somehow climbed up onto the mill/hopper! Fortunately no mice in the grain. I think I've got them all now but I'll be keeping traps out.

I still need to have a good clean of the whole brewery. I also note that all of a sudden the rollers on my mill have rust on them. Could mice have urinated on the mill, causing rust to quickly appear? Looks like I'll have to get a wire brush to the rollers and run some old grain through the mill to clean it up. Anyone else got any suggestions for cleaning the mill?

I'm pretty lucky, my cat is an excellent mouser (usually gets a mouse each day), and haven't had any problems even with a mouse population boom. If I get mice in the garage I'll leave the cat in there for a night or two.

Why dont you use large old fashioned rubbish bins bins from bunnings to put your sacks in? Nothing will get in there.

I use these and had no problems, just left a little bag of grain out by accident and then noticed poo and grain everywhere. Im glad I knabbed them just as they moved in. Also scattering some cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil. Apparently the scent is too strong and rodents hate it so it has the same effect as snake poo.

BlueBarrels.jpg

I use these and had no problems, just left a little bag of grain out by accident and then noticed poo and grain everywhere. Im glad I knabbed them just as they moved in. Also scattering some cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil. Apparently the scent is too strong and rodents hate it so it has the same effect as snake poo.

Where did you get those ? Cheers

Ive had rats eat holes though the sides of similar plastic containers. How they knew there was malt in them I dont know.

They were stored in a shed and had sat in the one place for several months as I had forgotten about them

They ate "pin holes" big enough to pull the grains out individually on th efar side of the barrell. The only reason i noticed was the pile of "hulls" behind the barrell.

I suggest moving your barrels every now and then if you have some time off brewing.

tnd

cheers

Darren

One of the best ways to get rodents in your grain is to dump your spent malt outside in the garden/compost and breed up the population.

We've recently had an infestation of mice in the shed where I store grain/brew. I use large plastic boxes with clip on lids for my grain. I had one with a big crack in the lid some time ago and I decided I'd better tape it up. I'm glad I did so because I found mouse dropping and dried urine all over the box lids. Also droppings in my urn and even between the rollers of my mill! They must have somehow climbed up onto the mill/hopper! Fortunately no mice in the grain. I think I've got them all now but I'll be keeping traps out.

I still need to have a good clean of the whole brewery. I also note that all of a sudden the rollers on my mill have rust on them. Could mice have urinated on the mill, causing rust to quickly appear? Looks like I'll have to get a wire brush to the rollers and run some old grain through the mill to clean it up. Anyone else got any suggestions for cleaning the mill?

I would think mice wee would be good to rust them, wet and acid.

To clean I would just run a kilo of grain through, that should clean it up.

QldKev

One of the best ways to get rodents in your grain is to dump your spent malt outside in the garden/compost and breed up the population.

I bait behind the compost, they can come and eat what they like... Bait usually goes within the week and i remain vermin free.. Mostly

I do that all the time but the cats seem to have worked out that rats and mice are tasty treats.

I live upstairs. And the downstairs is much more attractive to the mice.

I reckon about the only advantage to my brewing would be that.

Back