Mice In The Grain Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's weird; we're having a mouse issue around my place (dirty housemates aren't helping) but they haven't gone near my grain cupboard. It's an old wardrobe on the veranda with an occy-strap keeping the doors shut, grain in tubs/wheelie bins inside. But as much as I examine the cupboard daily, no droppings, no piss. No mice. Maybe the festy piles of garbage in my housos rooms' are more attractive!

I also note that all of a sudden the rollers on my mill have rust on them. Could mice have urinated on the mill, causing rust to quickly appear? Looks like I'll have to get a wire brush to the rollers and run some old grain through the mill to clean it up. Anyone else got any suggestions for cleaning the mill?

Yeah mate that mouse funk will feck your mill quick smart. One thing worse is bat shit on your car paint. Solution to the mill is just brew a VB clone, it'll be true to style.

I do that all the time but the cats seem to have worked out that rats and mice are tasty treats.

Really? Your cats must be hungry, really hungry. It has been my experience that cats will eat mice until they are big enough to explode and then eat some more. However in contrast to that cats will kill rats because cats are nasty feckers who like to torture and kill shit and rats put up a good fight but cats won't generally eat much of a rat carcase, just a chew here and there.

I have had a few rats in the shed, but they haven't got the grain (it's in locked gal toolboxes, since the 2 year old son discovered how yummy caramalt is)
They ate holes in 30 odd PET tallies, my keglube, all my vinyl hoses, & my refract case before a rat trap got them.

Back