Merri Mashers Specialty IPA Comp - June 14, 2015

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bronson said:
Gents,
I had look at the entry via comp master and I can't see a minimum entry volume. Is it only 750ml or 2 x 375mm or minus 500mm. Thanks
I couldn't see it either, there is a competition instructions option under 'this competition' at the top. "500ml min, 750ml preferred."

bronson said:
Gents,
I had look at the entry via comp master and I can't see a minimum entry volume. Is it only 750ml or 2 x 375mm or minus 500mm. Thanks
Oops sorry, it's on the "comp instructions" page on compmaster, but not on the main page...seems it got lost somewhere in one of the updates. It's back on both now. 500ml minimum for entries.

I can also finally announce a nice little bonus prize for our IPA Comp:

Brian Hardie (ex Brew Dog, and now the new Head Beer Monkey at Kooinda) has offered to work with the winner of "Champion Beer" to re-brew their recipe at the Kooinda brewery, with a view to putting a keg on at The Alehouse Project (sponsors of the Champion Beer category). Yep....if your specialty IPA scores higher than anyone else's in the comp, it'll be brewed commercially and put...on...tap. Get those entries in!!

If that isn't motivation to throw an entry into the comp, I'm not sure what else could be offered to satisfy...

bronson said:
Gents,
Need to check with the guys, but most clubs are moving to a single 500+ ml bottle due to some issues with double bottle entries in recent competitions (including expectations of blending two different beers and loss of half of the entry so not having enough to judge).

Cheers,

Andy

Hey AndyD I note on your Melbourne Brewers Newsletter that the date for our comp is incorrect. Any chance you can update your members with the correct date to avoid confusion?

Cheers

Is there any published info regarding new style guidelines yet for the new IPA categories? I still don't know the difference between White IPA & Belgian IPA. White IPA would maybe be a stronger and hoppier version of an American Wheat? And Belgian IPA should be an American style IPA but fermented with a Belgian yeast?

I don't have my judge # on me at the moment, but I am recognized and would be excited to judge. I will hopefully have a couple of entries as well if that's not a major conflict.

sharpcliff said:
Is there any published info regarding new style guidelines yet for the new IPA categories? I still don't know the difference between White IPA & Belgian IPA. White IPA would maybe be a stronger and hoppier version of an American Wheat? And Belgian IPA should be an American style IPA but fermented with a Belgian yeast?

I don't have my judge # on me at the moment, but I am recognized and would be excited to judge. I will hopefully have a couple of entries as well if that's not a major conflict.
Thanks sharpcliff, I'll add you to the judges list.

Regarding the guidelines, we were really hoping the new ones would have been published by now, but as they're not, we'll be working off the draft (Category 21B).

Those guidelines are linked off both ipacomp.com and the compmaster page for the comp.

But for anyone who hasn't looked through them, a White IPA is basically an IPA version of a Belgian Wit....i.e. it can have coriander and orange peel, with plenty of booze and american-style hops. A Belgian IPA is pretty much just an American IPA fermented with the kind of Belgian yeast used in a Golden Strong or Tripel. Although they do warn to be careful when choosing your hop & yeast combo as they can clash badly.

I won't be surprised if the White & Belgian sub-cats are a bit light on for entries...they sound pretty challenging....

Have drop off location been sorted for this yet? I'm keen to enter as long as there's a drop off within relatively easy access (CBD or Sunbury)

big78sam said:
Have drop off location been sorted for this yet? I'm keen to enter as long as there's a drop off within relatively easy access (CBD or Sunbury)
Yep, all the details are on the compmaster page. Pretty much the same drop-off points as Vicbrew uses, with the addition of Home Make It Reservoir and the Terminus Hotel in Fitzroy North.

Stupid question. If I lodge via compmaster will I be able to access my feedback. The reason I ask is my previous (manually entered) beer comp entry ( different club ) never gave me any feedback which was very disappointing.

Yep, the judges scoresheets for your beer will be uploaded to your compmaster account, you should have them very quickly after the judging is complete. To be honest we're thinking of canning manual entries after this first comp, it's too much hassle for both the comp and the entrants.

Latest posts

Back