Melbourne - where to live?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Blind Dog has more than 3 teeth in his head Collingwood won't take him. :)

Love Cheltenham... Close to everything ... If you want a good school just coo ute if your kids good enough they could go to Melbourne grammar

Grainer said:
If you want a good school just coo ute if your kids good enough they could go to Melbourne grammar
Melbourne High (boys)/Mac. Robertsons (girls).

There are leafy pockets around the Heidelberg area, pretty good commute along its rail line. Schools, hmmm been a while since I attended, and now live interstate.
If swmbo is to commute by public transport, then you are limited to that "the line that hawthorn is on" train line mainly, there are buses that go cross town, so called smart bus, but I'm guessing you need a calendar not a timetable for them.
Lemon

Edited for clarity, not so you'd guess

Move is on. Which is pretty exciting. Probably heading to Blackburn after spending the last few weekends trawling through options. Would love somewhere close to the lake although the bank manager might not.

Sensible comments on here were super helpful, so thanks all

(Non sensible comments were funny)

Very nice area. Growing up I spent a lot of time catching yabbies and massive carp from the lake.

Welcome to Melbourne!

That's a good choice given your specifics. We lived near the lake for two years recently and I loooooved that place. The French bakery by the train station is pretty awesome too :)

Just had a look at property prices and rental rates in Brunswick ,holy shit !
Don't get much for your dollar,now if I could transplant my place there it be rich !

Property prices in melb are insane spog, with no sign of anything improving.
Just had the rental we live in valued. Moved here 6 months ago after the last place we were in (18 months, perfectly happy, good tenants) was sold to owner occupier. Got a shock when we saw how expensive moving anywhere but way out would be.
Hoping to stay here long term - rent kills me but location is perfect. Not looking forward to another move if landlord decides selling up is worth it.

Tell me about it, just been to 5 opens and 3 auctions...

Where were the thunderstorms from last night? Need some intervention from god to help get rid of other buyers.

Someone told me about a little trick. Night before the auction, gather up as many used syringes (don't you work in a hospital?) and empty premix cans you can find. Decorate the precinct.

Blind Dog said:
Move is on. Which is pretty exciting. Probably heading to Blackburn after spending the last few weekends trawling through options. Would love somewhere close to the lake although the bank manager might not.

Sensible comments on here were super helpful, so thanks all

(Non sensible comments were funny)
Hi Blind Dog
I live just near Blackburn lake. Happy to catch up with you about the area etc (pm me)
As for brew clubs a few of us car pool to Melbourne brewers meetings etc.
Area is pretty conservative definitely lacking a decent watering hole (the area borders a dry area). I'm hoping that changes at some point.
My kids in Primary school and I can recommend "Blacky lake". Dunno about high schools just yet. Train line is v handy/frequent.
Cheers Mudd

manticle said:
Someone told me about a little trick. Night before the auction, gather up as many used syringes (don't you work in a hospital?) and empty premix cans you can find. Decorate the precinct.
Evil, but I like it. :D

We moved into the Blackburn lake area 4 years ago and love it. The thing that struck us is how friendly everyone is. Plus you can get free pony rides for the kids if you befriend Margaret on Lake Road. Dolly the pony is the size of a Great Dane. The looks on people's faces as they drive by when you take Dolly for a walk are priceless.

manticle said:
Hmmm interesting...

Back