Melbourne - where to live?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blind Dog

Beer
Reaction score
There is a chance that we'll up sticks in the new year and move from Sydney to Melbourne (SWMBO's job). No idea what those chances are, but if we do move neither one of us knows a great deal about the city, so just wondered, given that a lot of members seem to be Melbourne based, what thoughts were about places to live? Wishlist would be:
- decent state secondary school(s) (nipper is 9, but the move is likely to be permanent)
- decent transport (train or tram) to the city
- 'leafy' (currently live on Sydney's upper North shore, but next to not in the really exxy bits)
- 3/4 bed house on a decent block for about $1m (preferably less)
- parks etc
- local brew club would be tops

I've been told that East side is better than the west side, past Ringwood is Boganville, South of Brighton / Cheltenham gets unpleasant. But no idea if this is prejudice, BS or actually representative

Would appreciate any thoughts

Probably the three best regarded state secondary schools are (that are zoned not select entry) are Bentleigh secondary, mount waverley secondary and glen waverley secondary. All can be tricky to get into and have to live within their zone which usually costs a fair bit more.

BrosysBrews said:
Probably the three best regarded state secondary schools are (that are zoned not select entry) are Bentleigh secondary, mount waverley secondary and glen waverley secondary. All can be tricky to get into and have to live within their zone which usually costs a fair bit more.
I have to disagree with this assessment, other than Glen Waverley, which is arguably number one under this criteria. The other two would be Balwyn and McKinnon. All these schools have small "zones", so it's prudent to do your own research and not take the word of real estate agents. It's also prudent to understand that many of the top government schools have their results padded by quality international students, so don't go on numbers alone. As you would understand there are other qualities which make a school great.

Generalising your criteria points to you having success matching it in the eastern and south eastern (bayside) suburbs of Melbourne. How long you are prepared to commute, the size of the block/house and proximity to schools will be determining factors for your million dollars.

Good luck.

A few suburbs in the City of Whitehorse meet your criteria, maybe Blackburn, Mitcham, Nunawading, I can't comment on the quality of local schools but I work around that area a fair bit and it seems like a decent joint, personally I live a good 40 minutes east of Ringwood, way out in Bogansville haha!

Essendon/strathmore.few private schools in area.train,tram into the CBD.Two major shopping centres.meeri mashers are located in the northern suburbs.tullamarine airport.is 15mins away

I love the Eastern burbs. Grew up in Donvale and all the surrounding suburbs are nice areas with a lot of what you seek. There getting pretty pricey now but you could still find something in your price range pretty easily I reckon. My biggest regret was not buying the parents old house when they sold it. Could've had it for under $400k. The house backed onto Koonung creek and no traffic lights until you reached Hoddle St. Kicking myself now.
I ended up buying in Mooroolbark and live on the quietest street I've ever known. Seen the odd scene down at the local supermarket but you'll get that in most areas nowadays. The Yarra Valley and the Dandenongs are a 20min drive away and it's probably an hour by train to the city.
I resent the implication that it's boganville out this way and me missus would too. Me and Shazza love it here.

Ups to the Nth/Eastern Suburbs. 'Can't go wrong with your requirements & price-target.

Depending on how much you want to spend, there's plenty in the Doncaster/East Doncaster/Donvale area that have good access to the Eastern Freeway/Eastlink straight into the city & you can get a stonker to your requirements for $1M (*less-so in Donvale - you pay for the postcode).

Leafy, think Eltham/Warrandyte (BUT access to the city is limited unless you like driving or are prepared to drive a bit to get to a train station).

Good luck with your search..

Edit: Brew-clubs - There's heaps. Melbourne Brewers to the east, WortHogs to the North, Merri Mashers closer-in to the city. Spoilt for choice!

manticle said:
Where's work? How long do you wang your daily commute to be?
Goodness gracious!

Camo6 said:
I love the Eastern burbs. Grew up in Donvale and all the surrounding suburbs are nice areas with a lot of what you seek. There getting pretty pricey now but you could still find something in your price range pretty easily I reckon. My biggest regret was not buying the parents old house when they sold it. Could've had it for under $400k. The house backed onto Koonung creek and no traffic lights until you reached Hoddle St. Kicking myself now.
I ended up buying in Mooroolbark and live on the quietest street I've ever known. Seen the odd scene down at the local supermarket but you'll get that in most areas nowadays. The Yarra Valley and the Dandenongs are a 20min drive away and it's probably an hour by train to the city.
I resent the implication that it's boganville out this way and me missus would too. Me and Shazza love it here.
The piles of burning car tyres help with the quietness, don't they Cam !

I'd be looking at the previously mentioned Blackburn/Mitcham suburbs. 1mil should find you something decent on a largish block...much further towards the city and plots would start constricting.

Can't comment on schools yet, but here in Ringwood North, young Harry's child care has an excellent shiv making program.

+1 for the Eastern suburbs.
I live in Mitcham and work in the city. Good train line along here, 40ish mins and similar driving if leaving early enough as it's close to decent freeways etc. I know that Vermont high school has a great reputation for all areas of tuition and likeness by the kids, many of my older cricket mates have had kids these over the last 12 or so years.
There are a few brew clubs and LHBS around here so you should be fine :)
Best of luck!

manticle said:
Where's work? How long do you want your daily commute to be?
SWMBO would be based in Hawthirn East, I'd be close to Central station. Both of us would want the commute to be under an hour ideally

Hawthorn is inner east, close to cbd. I guess something along that train line is looking good.

Good suggestions here by most people, although some of the eastern suburbs mentioned, whilst green and leafy and not all that close to the city (one of your requirements).

When I first moved to Melbourne (around '97), I lived in the Kew, Hawthorn, Camberwell area. Absolutely amazing area, hits all your requirements with the exception of a nearby brew club and you'd be struggling to get a decent house for under $1M (although it is possible). Perhaps look at the surrounding suburbs?

I've also lived in Malvern East for a few years, which again ticks all your requirements aside from close brew club and you'd be struggling to get a decent house for under a mill. But surrounding suburbs such as Carnegie might be a goer. These suburbs are inner South East, and the beauty of these is close proximity to both the city and the sea.

I now live in Reservoir. Super affordable, reasonably close to the city (I'm about 12kms out), close to a brew club (Merri Mashers) and affordable, but not exactly "green and leafy". In fact, it's ghetto in some pockets and beautiful in others - massive contrast and a massive suburb.

If my budget is what yours is, if be looking at trying to snare a bargain in the inner north, like Thornbury, Northcote (if you can scrape in), Fairfield, West Preston etc.

The killer for your requirements is the combo of "green and leafy" (which largely excludes the west or mid to outer north), "close to the city" and affordable for a reasonable 3/4br house.

O T ish, the house prices in Melbourne are staggering !

See attached map for best places to live in Melbourne. Housing affordability is an issue though.

1.gif

Come to West Virginia(Geelong). Great houses under $700k, train commute is an hour (not that I work in Melbourne, but used to), half an hour to the best surf beaches around (flame suit on), private schools that are very reasonably priced, excluding Geelong Grammar WTF $30k/year (not sure about the public schools) and a great brew club!

I used to drive to Melbourne each day for work, 55 minutes door to door at a tad over 105km/h, very early in the morning though. I worked with people that lived 17km from work and it took them over an hour to get in via suburban trains/trams etc.

Just kidding.....Geelong...sheesh. If you are not a Cats fan, you have to hide the whole bloody football season and be prepared for long boring conversations about the local team.....waiting for fellow Geelong Craft Brewers to now start flaming me.....

O have moved between Sydney and Melbourne more than one, now live in West Pymble.

I would personally look along the Lilydale train line it is like the north shore line.. Camberwell Station, East Camberwell Station, Canterbury Station, Chatham Station, Surrey Hills Station, Mont Albert Station, Box Hill Station, Laburnum Station, Blackburn Station, Nunawading Station, Mitcham Station, Heatherdale Station,

However past Mitcham is starting to be a commute, but I think there use to be express trains. All the suburbs are nice and good schools. However as one of the others mentioned the Best public school in Melbourne use to be Balwyn High, I. So much demand that it makes houses in the catchment area go at a premium.

FYI you must pick a AFL Team and it should be Carlton !! Under no circumstances Collingwood

Latest posts

Back