Matilda Bay Sebastian Thoughts.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this one last week at Dan's, but decided on a cheaper belgian sitting next to LaChouffe (what I originally intended to get).
From reading this thread, i'm glad I passed it by.

Saw this one last week at Dan's, but decided on a cheaper belgian sitting next to LaChouffe (what I originally intended to get).
From reading this thread, i'm glad I passed it by.

La Chouffe is an excellent choice awesome beer.

Now I am not calling everyone a liar, but I have had it twice
Once was off tap, and whilst underwhelming for a dunkel it was fine.

Second time was in the bottle, and there were no hint of problems.
In fact I thought they had aged nicely.

I still have 2 bottles at home, I am guessing maybe I got lucky, and these other ones are going to be rubbish.

Hmm interesting
Josh

Might be something to do with the age of one batch Josh.

I had this beer on tap and it was fine - a little weird but ok. I think with turnover on a draft keg you are more likely to get a fresher beer provided the stuff sells.

As for the bottles- yeah I think you definately got lucky judging by some of the other posts here.

I've had the Sebastian several times out of the bottle over the past year and didn't notice anything wrong with it. I haven't had a lot of dunkelweizens to compare it to but I really enjoyed this drop.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be any left in Brisbane :(

I have and they have sent me a pack to send it back to them.. havent gotten around to it yet though...

will keep you posted...

I wonder if they will accept an empty bottle... I didn't exactly keep the contents and I can't send back half a bottle with it leaking everywhere.
Not sure if I'm better returning to the shop or dropping matilda bay an email.

I wonder if they will accept an empty bottle... I didn't exactly keep the contents and I can't send back half a bottle with it leaking everywhere.
Not sure if I'm better returning to the shop or dropping matilda bay an email.

I got in touch with them after I bought some a few weeks ago and got a dud. Fosters have kindly sent me a voucher for some replacement bottles. The customer service rep who was very pleasant to deal with, Betty, mentioned that a bottle and a use by/bottled on/batch number is good, but a sample is best, as it will be analysed. So if you do get a dud bottle, throw some in an airtight container in the fridge and get in touch with them. I don't know how they'll proceed from there, but they love to get samples apparently!

She also mentioned that they had no record of problems with Seb. Reserve when I spoke to them. I was very, very surprised to hear that after the bottle I had.

Well just tried it and it was disgusting, taking it back to Dan Murphy's tomorrow, don't have the receipt so don't expect
a refund but at least they will have a sample of why they should send any they have left on the shelves
back to Matilda bay Brewery. Pity they no longer have an office here, will take it back to them directly if they did.

Well took the bottle back, recapped so what was left didn't spill out, got a refund no questions asked :)
Seems nobody else has complained about it, but that is not surprising, I suspect that seeing Dan Murphy's
is in Balga that VB would be their biggest seller.

UPDATE:

Got a response after sending the Sebastian back to Fosters...

A letter with a voucher attached for 12 Alpha Pale Ales to be collected from Dan Murphys. They also said the bottle is being sent to the lab for testing... Interesting to see if anything comes of it??

UPDATE:

Got a response after sending the Sebastian back to Fosters...

A letter with a voucher attached for 12 Alpha Pale Ales to be collected from Dan Murphys. They also said the bottle is being sent to the lab for testing... Interesting to see if anything comes of it??

I got a voucher too, but it was for more Sebastian Reserve. The thing is, it looks like they just don't have any, and haven't been able to deliver any to the bottle shop nominated as a drop off point. The poor guy at the bottlo seems to be wasting a lot of time on it, and I feel sorry for him having to be the front man for their inability to deliver. They are meant to be calling me to arrange something else, but I haven't heard from them. Tell the truth, I'm not that fussed to miss out on more Sebastian Reserve, so I'll be asking for some Alpha or Fat Yak instead, at least they should have some stock of that.

Would love to hear what the lab says DJ - keep us updated!

the lady I spoke with mentioed they dont make the sebastian anymore so she would give me a vouchers for anything I wanted. Alpha is was!!

Although, at first she said "I dont think we make the Alpha anymore" I almost had a heart attack!!!

But all good. I'm off to Dan's on the weekend!

Now I am not calling everyone a liar, but I have had it twice
Once was off tap, and whilst underwhelming for a dunkel it was fine.

Second time was in the bottle, and there were no hint of problems.
In fact I thought they had aged nicely.

I still have 2 bottles at home, I am guessing maybe I got lucky, and these other ones are going to be rubbish.

Hmm interesting
Josh

I take it all back. Tried this beer again a few weeks ago. It was so sour, thin, and acetic it found the bottom of the sink instantly. I assume that is what drinking nail polish remover is like.

I know it would of been past its use by date, but still.... horrible

Gee does this beer still exist? Didn't see a trace of it in Dan's last week.

:icon_offtopic: Did grab one of Matilda Bay's Long Shot though. It was yum, but with coffee in it left me all jitter-buggy. Don't think I could drink a sixpack without behaving like a crack fiend.

Hopper.

Gee does this beer still exist?

Probably not. My boy is named Sebastian, so I saved a couple and thought it would of been fun to crack one open on his 1st birthday.

Like I said, most of it was poured down the sink

SL373526.JPG

Latest posts

Back