RAPT Pill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kleggy

Morris Momad Brewing
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

After a long wait, in the latest drop, I was able to get myself a RAPT Pill! Hopefully, there isn't already another dedicated thread to this. :oops:

Got mine in the mail yesterday and have been playing around with the setup. Watched the Video a couple of times that's linked in the included leaflet. The video mentions to leave it plugged in and charging for a minimum of 24hrs, which will calibrate the battery reading. Once plugged in, a solid red light came on, indicating it was charging and remained on until sometime early this morning.

Q: With no red lights no showing now, does that mean charging has been completed and is ready to move onto the next stage of calibration?

Has anyone else gone through the process and done a couple of brews yet to share their tips and tricks? Keen to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm excited about the possibilities of brewing with the RAPT Pill.

Thanks!

EDIT #1: Decided to just press on, figured it was 100% Charged. When unplugging it, it wouldn't go into AP Mode. The only way that I could get it into AP Mode was to plug it back in again, and connect to it then. While plugged in I was able to Register it, get the MAC Address + Validation Code. When I unplugged it, it remained in AP Mode. I was then able to calibrate it. But after letting it sit in the Jug with water that I used it to calibrate it in for some time now it's still in AP Mode, green light flashing, and no Telemetry Received on the RAPT Cloud.

WiFi: Successfully Connected
Registration: Looks like your device has successfully registered.
Diagnostics:
Accelerometer X: 872.86
Accelerometer Y: -13.20
Accelerometer Z: 548.66
Tilt angle: 32.16
Specific gravity: 1.000
ADC2: -38.86
Battery: 100%
Temperature: 29.1
Firmware: 20211130_012833_789fd0f (Latest)

Thoughts? Am I doing something wrong here?

EDIT 2: Disregard. Connected to it Via a laptop instead of the iPhone. Had a look around at the setting. Disconnected from the Wifi. About 15min later, green light stopped flashing, and it appears to be all working now. Perhaps the iPhone was holding a connection with it, leaving it in AP Mode??? Anywho, as you were!🤣

Last edited:
Hmm... i cannot connect mine to wifi because it's asking me for a password and cannot find any info about a password anywhere.

Never mind, im just an idiot who didn't see the quickstart guide.

Password is kegland1 for anyone looking and finds this post.

Last edited:
Hmm... i cannot connect mine to wifi because it's asking me for a password and cannot find any info about a password anywhere.

Never mind, im just an idiot who didn't see the quickstart guide.

Password is kegland1 for anyone looking and finds this post.
Hahaha, your not the only one! Got me too initially.

Mine doesn’t seem to be going to sleep? Leaving it horizontal on a table it’s continuing to transmit data, hourly. Thoughts?

Hahaha, your not the only one! Got me too initially.
Mine doesn’t seem to be going to sleep? Leaving it horizontal on a table it’s continuing to transmit data, hourly. Thoughts?

It's a bit embarrassing but Kegland could have made it clearer, i watched the youtube video a few times and it made no mention of the devices initial network being password protected, one of the QR codes on the little info leaflet could have gone to the guide but oh well.

Last edited:
Totally agree the information could be better. We shouldn't have to hunt it down.

Hey guys just to help you all out so ya not hunting down the quick userguide/instructions
here is an pdf file with them just click the attachment

Attachments

• KL20596 - RAPT Pill Hydrometer and Thermometer Quick Start Guide.pdf
    700.9 KB · Views: 157
Hey guys just to help you all out so ya not hunting down the quick userguide/instructions
here is an pdf file with them just click the attachment
Thanks @ozdevil!

Put down the first brew using it on the weekend. Despite the initial Hiccups with setup, seems to be working well. :D

Attachments

• 6cd8ad34-7016-4421-9a50-63b1f5e83d5e.jpeg
    6cd8ad34-7016-4421-9a50-63b1f5e83d5e.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 98
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know we have done a firmware update. So this latest firmware update has also weeded out a few more bugs. In order to do the firmware update all you have to do is:

1. Make sure its already registered to your RAPT login
2. Make sure you have wifi reception and the pill is connected to your wifi
3. Leave connected to a charger and if the above 2 points are done it will automatically download and update to the latest firmware on it's own

I also wanted to thank you guys who have sent us feedback on the product. We are continuing to update and improve the web portal and firmware based on customer requests and feedback. We really appreciate it!

Can I use my own http endpoint or does it need internet?

The new API will be released soon but you still need access to internet as it will not be possible for you to connect to your own endpoint.

What is the current firmware? Mine has version "20220112_161457_3d2d522" and the check firmware feature says its up to date.

What is the current firmware? Mine has version "20220112_161457_3d2d522" and the check firmware feature says its up to date.

We actually released another firmware version 2 days ago so the latest version is 20220212_165453_6c4fa92.

In the new firmware version we have changed the registration process to make it a bit more streamline.

We actually released another firmware version 2 days ago so the latest version is 20220212_165453_6c4fa92.

In the new firmware version we have changed the registration process to make it a bit more streamline.

Thanks, just updated to the latest FW.

Thanks for the Heads Up @KegLand-com-au Super Easy process. Followed the above instructions, and updated by itself trouble free!

Thanks!

Is anyone else getting pretty big gaps in telemetery? Beer I am fermenting now has had only 17 signals since Friday afternoon with only two on Saturday morning and two on Sunday morning (bottom picture). Is it common to have a 12 hour gap between readings? Previous beer had 173 readings over a 14 day period which seemed better, though still with some sizable gaps. Also the battery has been at 100% since late January with 2 1/2 brews. How long should it last?
1646624336980.png
1646624364815.png

Cheers

Is anyone else getting pretty big gaps in telemetery? Beer I am fermenting now has had only 17 signals since Friday afternoon with only two on Saturday morning and two on Sunday morning (bottom picture). Is it common to have a 12 hour gap between readings? Previous beer had 173 readings over a 14 day period which seemed better, though still with some sizable gaps. Also the battery has been at 100% since late January with 2 1/2 brews. How long should it last?
View attachment 121840View attachment 121841
Cheers
how did you get the beer ABV to show?

View attachment 121840View attachment 121841
Cheers

Have you tried re-starting your router. I have seen this happen to some other customers who then re-started the router and it fixed the issue. What is your signal strength?

Have you tried re-starting your router. I have seen this happen to some other customers who then re-started the router and it fixed the issue. What is your signal strength?
Thanks for the reply. Yes have restarted router a few times. I have a mesh network setup, but it is in a chest freezer in garage so maybe that is the problem?
Here is the signal strength. If that is too low I can move a mesh node into the gargage. I also got some readings last night (9pm,11pm,2am,3am,5am).

1646697118871.png

Thanks for the reply. Yes have restarted router a few times. I have a mesh network setup, but it is in a chest freezer in garage so maybe that is the problem?
Here is the signal strength. If that is too low I can move a mesh node into the gargage. I also got some readings last night (9pm,11pm,2am,3am,5am).

View attachment 121857

Thanks for that graph. It appears you are getting some data loss and I would say improving your wifi reception would help this situation. So if you have the ability to put an AP in the garage then I would do this. The garage might also be clad with tin or metal I am assuming so this also might not help the situation. How far is your AP to the PILL and what are the barriers between the two products? Fermenting fridge, garage walls made of brick, fermenter type, number of meters from the router? It would be interesting to know what your signal strength is given these things.

In addition to this on the most recent firmware update on the Pill you will notice the power consumption is very low. The pill turns on and checks for wifi and if it cannot connect it will not waste battery continuing to try. It will go to sleep and then try again in another 1 hr(the default tememetry time is 1hr). If your router is busy, the signal strength is too weak it may not connect. With the latest firmware your Pill should last 1.5 years or more of continuous use based on 1hr telemetry frequency. If you are seeing some loss the latest firmware also gives you the option of changing down to 15min telemetry frequency. If this is the case it's probably also fine if you miss the od telemetry reading if you are checking 4 times every hour.

Latest posts

Back