Matilda Bay - Fat Yak

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a guess, but according to their PR it's Nelson Sauvin & American Cascade.

"The Garage are focused on getting Fat Yak (4.7%) in kegs nationwide.
It's been Vincent's prized initiation for the past eight months.
It uses American Cascade and New Zealand Nelson Sauvin hops.
Its golden-green hue in the glass - another hint of sauvy blanc - gives
way to passionfruit and melon aromas."

Source of info

Hopper.

I spoke to one of the brewers last night at the Fed Square Vic Microbrew showcase - def Cascade and Nelson Sauvin. I like Fat yak, but I also tried it again last night against Alpha Pale Ale (which was my preference). APA is Cascade and Amarillo.

Brendo

I spoke to one of the brewers last night at the Fed Square Vic Microbrew showcase - def Cascade and Nelson Sauvin. I like Fat yak, but I also tried it again last night against Alpha Pale Ale (which was my preference). APA is Cascade and Amarillo.

Brendo

might have to give the Aplha Pale ale another go... I have always ignored Matilda Bay...

might have to give the Aplha Pale ale another go... I have always ignored Matilda Bay...

They aren't the best on there... but they do have some good/interesting brews. Also tried the Sebastian again - not totally sold, but an interesting dunkleweizen nonetheless...

Sounds like it was a good night Brendo. Love the Yak, haven't tried an Alpha so will give it a go, and that Sebastian beer is just plain weird. The spiciness in it I can't quite figure out. Very unlike any dunkelweizen I've ever tried.

Hopefully the head doesn't hurt too bad today :icon_cheers: Last time I went we went through well over the 20 tokens - like kids in a candy store!

Hopper.

Sounds like it was a good night Brendo. Love the Yak, haven't tried an Alpha so will give it a go, and that Sebastian beer is just plain weird. The spiciness in it I can't quite figure out. Very unlike any dunkelweizen I've ever tried.

Hopefully the head doesn't hurt too bad today :icon_cheers: Last time I went we went through well over the 20 tokens - like kids in a candy store!

Hopper.

yeah it was a good night... a friend was working on the MB stand for a while, so we got some rather healthly-looking and tokenless samples from there first up. Head is fine today... just a bit of residual dryness.

Agree about the Sebastian - hence my use of the word 'interesting' ;)

Brendo

this beer is on sale at celarbrations bottle shop $49.90

MAUOMBO

...the yak was on fire in Melbourne town last week ....did'nt matter where we were as long as it came from the garage it was great...got to yak (pun intended) to brewer Jeremy a couple of times...nice guy...

I thought the yak was only available on tap. Had it the other day at the taphouse and thought it was a very enjoyable drop.

Will try and hunt it down in a local bottlo. Anyone know of its availability in Sydney (inner west pref)

Fat Yak is available in the bottlo attached to the pub on cnr New Canterbury and Marrickville Rd, I just saw it tonight.

Bought a carton of Yak the other day.Young guys in the bottlo where raving about it.Was really looking forward to that first coldie but was somewhat disappointed in it.
Not as hoppy as i wouldve liked but none the less a drinkable beer.

Cheers
Big D

So it's real beer with training wheels?

Oh well, hopefully it might get some people interested in learning to ride the bike.

Bought a carton of Yak the other day.Young guys in the bottlo where raving about it.Was really looking forward to that first coldie but was somewhat disappointed in it.
Not as hoppy as i wouldve liked but none the less a drinkable beer.

Cheers
Big D

When I had it on tap it was like opening a fresh bag of hops. Wasn't that bitter but was chock full of either late hops or dry hops.

I wouldn't mind giving it a go from the bottle, will keep an eye out.

I agree with the training wheels comment, and also hope that it continues to be placed in an attractive price point so more people are likely to give it a shot. I think that even if people here at AHB think it is a bit on the mellow side (I definitely do) a VB etc. drinker is still going to have to come to grips with a new ballpark of flavours. It does a pretty good balancing act.

righto, I'll give it a whirl today - Ive wasted more than $50 before!

MAUOMBO

I paid $60.00 last night.... I like it.... I think it is quite well balanced nothing like what it says on the bottle... maybe a little watery.

I thought it did what it was supposed to do, its on tap next to squires and New at most pubs i've seen it so it has to be as interesting as possible whilst also being unnofensive. And like what others round here have already stated, it does the balancing act quite well.

Also, not sure if its a new seasons of Nsauvin, but i thought the melon was the domineering flavour in this beer, usually its passionfruit that stands out with the ole NS? Thoughts?

mmm I thought I smelled dry hop chinook... but my nose is not calibrated yet.

I thought it was all Nelson and Cascade... but thinking chinook would work in that mix...

For the record:
I am not trying to start any rumors that there is Chinook. :)
On a second tasting that just came to my mind, and there was also some vegetal grassiness.

Back