Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They look a bit different to what matho sent me in my kit. I suspect they are a detachable version, and you will need CON-MICMAT6-F and CON-MICMAT6-MW (and some ribbon cable)

Hi Bonj,

They are exactly what I have, but it looks like the the F connector that goes onto the board has the pins in the wrong order for the board, if that makes sense.

My get out of jail card will be to just solder the cable to some header pins and theni nto the board :)

Hi Bonj,

They are exactly what I have, but it looks like the the F connector that goes onto the board has the pins in the wrong order for the board, if that makes sense.

My get out of jail card will be to just solder the cable to some header pins and theni nto the board :)
maybe you're trying to connect it to the wrong side of the board?

I dont think I am, but just to be sure, it goes on the same side as the components, correct?

maybe you're trying to connect it to the wrong side of the board?
That's what mine did, but I reckon you put it on whatever side it fits!

Try rs components 532-5231 that is what I got. I was going to use the modtroix ones but then changed my mind and went with the rs ones. I had to change the orientation of the pins on the eagle library to make them the right way I'm wondering if it has changed back for you because you don't have the same library. If you can post a picture of the boards I can check it (Saturday night is my one night off from hospital :) )

Cheers steve

Hi Steve,

No camera here at the moment, but from checking the PDF's the layout is the same. I reckon I will just mount it on the other side of the board and make sure the pins and functions line up.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Guys,

I almost have all of the boards put together now - all looking good so far.

I have one more question though, either i am a bit daft, or i can find no way to these this connectors http://www.modtronix.com/index.php?cPath=42_94 to the board??

Any thoughts guys? I got the part numbers from a list of items matho has used in the past.

Cheers
Rob

Cool they will have the same pitch, you might have to remove the locating tab but I don't know cause I haven't looked at the data sheets

Cheers Steve

It all fits in perfectly, even the locating tab, its all just on the saem side as the LCD instead of the components.

From the quick once over the pin outs are all the same, so it looks like I am good to go.

Is there a nice easy way for me to test that it is all ok before wiring it up to the other half of the box? i was thinking of finding an old 12v dc plug pack and putting it on the 12V screw terminals??

Cheers
Rob

Ok guys, think I need some help.

I have put the controller together as per the guides and have powered it on for the first time.

It powers up ok but all I get is an illuminated LCD and the buzzer staying on. Any thoughts on what is likely happening here?

Cheers
Rob

Ok guys, think I need some help.

I have put the controller together as per the guides and have powered it on for the first time.

It powers up ok but all I get is an illuminated LCD and the buzzer staying on. Any thoughts on what is likely happening here?

Cheers
Rob
Interesting, that's what happened to me. Sorry I can't help with a solution though.
Do you get any characters on the display or just the dark squares? And did any of the the LED's light up?

Cheers

Interesting, that's what happened to me. Sorry I can't help with a solution though.
Do you get any characters on the display or just the dark squares? And did any of the the LED's light up?

Cheers
I don't recall if the LEDs came on. There were no characters on the screen, just illumination. I did notice that the led on the bonjuino was not lit, should it be?

I don't recall if the LEDs came on. There were no characters on the screen, just illumination. I did notice that the led on the bonjuino was not lit, should it be?
The LED on the bonjuino should definitely be lit. It is the power indicator light. If it has not lit, either it has no power, or you installed the LED the wrong way round. If you followed the instructions, and oriented the LED properly, then for some reason, it isn't getting any power.

Mine did. When I first powered it on the screen lit up displaying two rows of squares, the relay clicked & the LED's came on and after a while the green one went off. The buzzer just kept going until I powered off. I went over everything again & again for weeks. my soldering looked okay but eventually I went over a few of the joints to see if that helped but it didn't. I don't advise you to do this though as you can just make things worst. I'd advise you to have someone who knows what their doing check the boards out, that's what's happening to mine but it might take a while to find out as he's very busy at the moment. I thought it might be the controller chip damaged by static but Bonj & Matho don't think this is the problem.

Ok, good news.

I thought i would give it another go and all was as before, then I tried adjusting the trim pot, you little ripper I now have both display lines. I think the buzzer is on because I haven't wired in the temp sensor and thus have a reading of 4000 degrees.

Will sort this out next.

Cheers
Rob

Ok, good news.

I thought i would give it another go and all was as before, then I tried adjusting the trim pot, you little ripper I now have both display lines. I think the buzzer is on because I haven't wired in the temp sensor and thus have a reading of 4000 degrees.

Will sort this out next.

Cheers
Rob
Great news.

Hey Tynian, with the buzzer on and the relay picked up it sounds like the transistors are around the wrong way. I'm going to have to look at the data sheets again, what type of tranistor did you use.

Cheers steve

Hi Matho,

I used this transistor http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ZT2298

Thanks for checking this out for me. At this point I had not hooked up the pump, temp sensor or heater/relay - I was really just checking to see if it would power up properly etc.

I am wondering if not having these hooked up is causing the buzzer to come on the temp to show 4000+ degrees on the LCD. I can take a pic of this later if needed :)

Anyway, I appreciate you having another look for me.

Cheers
Rob

OK I have just tested my unit with jaycar bought 2n2222a338 and it displays the same problem, I reversed the transistor for the buzzer and it fixed the problem.
Pete I would chop the head off the transistor and pull one leg out at a time as it was very hard to pull the transistor out whole with out damaging the board.

The last 6 kits that got sent out had these transistors in them so if you could check and see if you have transistors labelled 2n2222a338 please install thenm backwards. I'll be sending PM's out to those I think got those transistors tonight.

the first lot of 40 kits had transistors got from a different supplier and they are to be installed the right way they are labelled p2n2222a AO8
sorry

steve

Tynian I had this problem also, turn the transistors around sorted it out!

Awesome, Thanks Pete. I will do this tonight.

Cheers
Rob

Latest posts

Back