Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you have managed to get some solder connecting the transistor legs to ground, will cleaning up the joint and resoldering fix it? Or have I stuffed it by burning through to the ground plate? My issue is with the 12V relay, which is putting out 0V when turned on, and a trickle when turned off, so I suspect I've grounded something I shouldn't have, like the transistor or maybe the relay itself. Meant to clean out the joints and redo, but didn't get around to it yet.

I've still been getting a lot of use from the brauduino by directly connecting the 12V in to the pump connection and using the brauduino in manual mode, plugging the pump in and out as needed. Not pretty but it works!

Sean,

The relay is only a switch, there is no output. Matho has put a lot of work into the manuals and he's included a schematic diagram at the back of the controller build pdf, if you follow that diagram i think all your problems will be solved!

Make sure you post photos of your build, it's interesting to see what little touches everyone has included on their braumiser

Cheers

The relay is only a switch, there is no output. Matho has put a lot of work into the manuals and he's included a schematic diagram at the back of the controller build pdf, if you follow that diagram i think all your problems will be solved!

Hi, what I meant is that the 12V output terminal on the board for the pump puts out 0V when the pump LED is on, and a small voltage (can't remember exactly) when it's off, so something is getting grounded I think.

Hi, what I meant is that the 12V output terminal on the board for the pump puts out 0V when the pump LED is on, and a small voltage (can't remember exactly) when it's off, so something is getting grounded I think.

Thats exactly what I would expect, no 12V output. I'll do my best to explain but here goes

the wiring should be like this -
12V+ --------- Relay (pump terminals) ------- pump ------- 12V-
so from 12V+ into one of the pump terminals, out of the other pump terminal to the pump then obviously pump negative to negative.

From what you've said i would assume you have the pump connected directly to the pump terminals? + to 1 and - to the other?

I hope this makes sense?

Thats exactly what I would expect, no 12V output. I'll do my best to explain but here goes

the wiring should be like this -
12V+ --------- Relay (pump terminals) ------- pump ------- 12V-
so from 12V+ into one of the pump terminals, out of the other pump terminal to the pump then obviously pump negative to negative.

From what you've said i would assume you have the pump connected directly to the pump terminals? + to 1 and - to the other?

I hope this makes sense?

Ok, I'm an idiot! Just looked at the 'brauduino controller build1.pdf" file and I see exactly what you are saying. Just wasn't thinking straight. Essentially the relay is just an on/off switch on the positive wire from the 12V supply to the pump positive terminal. That means that I don't need to change anything on the board, just rejig the external wiring.

Thanks for the help Pete :icon_cheers:

Sean

Hey Matho.
Been reading through this thread and absolutely love the dedication and support you have given to the community with this project.

I was devastated to hear about your child, and can only wish you, your little one and your family all the best. There is nothing worse than having one of your kids in ICU.

hey real_beer, the chips are fairly rugged and handling them with out earthing yourself shouldn't fry them. To me it sounds like the tranistors are not right but I can't tell without actually having the unit. I would say the screen needs the contast adjusted ( the trimpot) but I would expect both the lines to be dark not just one. I don't have much time at the moment and I know your a long way away but if you get stuck post it back to me and I'll fix it for you.

cheers
Thanks for the offer Steve but you've got much more important priorities on your plate at the moment. When I originally powered it up it both lines did display but it hasn't done it since, the trimpot lowers & raises the brightness but that's all. The solder joints all looked fine but I went over a few just in case, but after my Bonjuino board started looking a little untidy from the reheating & didn't change anything I stopped trying that as a fix. I was hoping it might have been the chip so I might just bite the bullet & build new boards again after xmas. I've added some pics in case I've made any glaringly obvious cock ups that everyone else can see but I keep missing. Also I must say how impressed I am with how you worked the real estate of the control box out, great work.
cheers

The Bonjuino pics look funny because they where taken with a magnifying glass in front of the camera.
2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG
5.JPG1.JPG
6.JPG 7.JPG

That's a sweet fascia panel - how did you make that?
When I was picking up my keg tags from Superoo he took some pics & measurements of the contol box & said he could make a nice stick on fascia panel for it. Before I got home he'd emailed me a message saying he'd made one up & posted it already for me to try. It looks much better than the photo is able to show. Have a look at the link on Malted's post for more info about Superoo. I've got to call in & pay for mine next time I'm working down Bunbury way, so I don't know what the price is yet.

Cheers

Thanks for the offer Steve but you've got much more important priorities on your plate at the moment. When I originally powered it up it both lines did display but it hasn't done it since, the trimpot lowers & raises the brightness but that's all. The solder joints all looked fine but I went over a few just in case, but after my Bonjuino board started looking a little untidy from the reheating & didn't change anything I stopped trying that as a fix. I was hoping it might have been the chip so I might just bite the bullet & build new boards again after xmas. I've added some pics in case I've made any glaringly obvious cock ups that everyone else can see but I keep missing. Also I must say how impressed I am with how you worked the real estate of the control box out, great work.
cheers

The Bonjuino pics look funny because they where taken with a magnifying glass in front of the camera.
View attachment 58156View attachment 58157View attachment 58158
View attachment 58159View attachment 58155
View attachment 58160 View attachment 58161
The first thing I recommend doing is getting some isopropyl alcohol on a toothbrush and cleaning up all that excess flux. Then, grab your multimeter (set for measuring resistance) and check the bonjuino for short circuit between the Vin and the 5V pins while disconnected from the brauduino. Then do it again while connected. I will do the same tomorrow when I can get down to my man cave without disturbing the kids. We can compare the values and tell whether you have a short somewhere. If you shorted the 12V to the 5V pin, then you may be in a world of hurt because it potentially has fried the microcontroller, 7805 regulator (on the bonjuino) and the LCD.

I have witnessed an LCD do this when powered with 12v instead of 5v.

Looks like there could be some solder shorting the io pins, very hard to see in those pics.

The first thing I recommend doing is getting some isopropyl alcohol on a toothbrush and cleaning up all that excess flux. Then, grab your multimeter (set for measuring resistance) and check the bonjuino for short circuit between the Vin and the 5V pins while disconnected from the brauduino. Then do it again while connected. I will do the same tomorrow when I can get down to my man cave without disturbing the kids. We can compare the values and tell whether you have a short somewhere. If you shorted the 12V to the 5V pin, then you may be in a world of hurt because it potentially has fried the microcontroller, 7805 regulator (on the bonjuino) and the LCD.
Thanks Bonj,
I've just cleaned the flux away as you recommended, I'll dig out my multimeter after work tomorrow & take the measurements.
I've accepted it's probably terminal at this stage but I'm keen to find out where I stuffed up, or live and learn as they say.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Can one of the electrical gurus tell me if the resistors here http://www.rkmit.com.au/blog/wp-content/up...1/resistors.jpg

are suitable for the controller?

They are the 120, 4.7k and 470 ohm resistors.

Also, the brauduino circuit boards have finally arrived from China, so I will be in contact with everyone who as indicated they are after one with info on how to pay etc.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Guys,

Can one of the electrical gurus tell me if the resistors here http://www.rkmit.com.au/blog/wp-content/up...1/resistors.jpg

Also, the brauduino circuit boards have finally arrived from China, so I will be in contact with everyone who as indicated they are after one with info on how to pay etc.

Cheers
Rob

They're the exact same resistors i used. They work a treat!

Cheers

Hi Guys,

Cheers
Rob

They'll do the job, tynian

Sweet - thanks guys.

I am one happy camper. I have the SS pot on the way and all the other bits ready to go.

The only ting left to buy is the filters - Am still looking at the best way to go here, am using the 19l bigw pot for the malt pipe. I reckon perforated stainless would be the way to go but am having trouble finding somewhere local to get it.

Cheers
Rob

@ Realbeer...

No charge for you mate, you allowed me to measure up etc etc...

cheers,
Chris

Superoo said:
@ Realbeer...

No charge for you mate, you allowed me to measure up etc etc...

cheers,
Chris
Thanks Chris. You do realise of course that your the one who actually helped me out?
If your still taking orders I'll call in with some cash in my wallet early next year & order some decals for 'The Red Dragon Brewery'. Also in the meantime see if you can find a way to program the laser to fix my eyes up, I need it after my recent soldering debacle :lol:

cheers

Hi Guys,

I almost have all of the boards put together now - all looking good so far.

I have one more question though, either i am a bit daft, or i can find no way to these this connectors http://www.modtronix.com/index.php?cPath=42_94 to the board??

Any thoughts guys? I got the part numbers from a list of items matho has used in the past.

Cheers
Rob

Back