Masterchef Food Tossers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have not been watching this but in the British version the contestants are stuck in the kitchen of a busy restaraunt for a full day to see if they can cut it with orders coming in fast and furious every few seconds during the busy periods.

Most of them could not cope with the speed required to get dishes from pans to table in reasonable times.

Hey Dom, pressure is 120 covers in 3.5hrs, thats when you know that you are a Chef... :super: Whats this 400 covers in 4hrs?? :unsure:

Pressure is x number of covers in x number of hours ordering whichever dishes happen to be prepared by your section and entirely dependent on how complicated the dish is. You could have one establishment pumping out 60 parmas in 30 minutes with a large kitchen, multiple staff members and pre-prepared gunk or you could have complicated dishes all coming from one section at a 50 seater with pressure on one person to perform consistentlyl and promptly. There's no one formula for being pumped.

How many people on AHB are not chefs, ex- chefs or IT nerds?

Ex hotel manager and now croupier..... :p

But I did grow up in commercial kitchens as a young child, my parents ran restaurants for years...

what ever happened to the angry drunk head chefs that throw things at waitresses? I can remember the back of the door between the kitchen and the dining area having knife marks in it from when the head chef cracked it.....

Pressure is x number of covers in x number of hours ordering whichever dishes happen to be prepared by your section and entirely dependent on how complicated the dish is. You could have one establishment pumping out 60 parmas in 30 minutes with a large kitchen, multiple staff members and pre-prepared gunk or you could have complicated dishes all coming from one section at a 50 seater with pressure on one person to perform consistentlyl and promptly. There's no one formula for being pumped.

Said like a true hospo professional!

For the record, I've only worked in one place that turned out that number of covers, it wasn't fine dining but it wasn't a catering joint either. However it was very well prepared for with a largish kitchen brigade, as it was the end of a long weekend targa rally event and we knew it was coming :) Even so it was a hell of a night (with 8 hours of prep preceeding it). I've also had the nightmare of a 100 odd cover night 2 staff down, all by myself save for one very stoned kitchenhand/dishwasher - with not nearly enough prep for the unexpected numbers. That was much worse. Makes you sit down at the end of the night and wonder why you work as a chef. And then you get up tomorrow and do it again. Nuts. :wacko:

First head chef of mine was a psycho who threw stuff, a real stress ball. But on the other hand, he was damned good, and it was a priviledge to start my time in kitchens with him.

Hey did Bum really say I could have Justine and Jennifer Hawkins and her sisters? :wub: Mate...what a way to spend my last few hours on earth.....:lol:

Yeah just tell them I sent you. That should work.

Sorry to come back to this again, but I just watched five minutes of master chef, and have to say, she's no looker.

Ah well, if we all had the same tastes it would get boring.

:lol: yeah, looks like the hospo trade is taking the shine off her already. She probably just needs some sleep :lol:

Coming from someone who should know.....

I worked in pubs my whole career ( been a chef for 11yrs) and pumping out 300 meals in 3hrs is alot easier than what im doing now. Im working in a fine dining resturant doing 50 covers in 3 hours and beleive you and me it is a lot harder than pubs but i enjoy the pressure. I started my apprenticship because of my love for cooking and even though the money is crap and the hours suck i couldnt imagine doing any thing else for a living..

Cheers
Scotsman

I started my apprenticship because of my love for cooking and even though the money is crap and the hours suck i couldnt imagine doing any thing else for a living..

Cheers
Scotsman

Being a full time brewer............ maybe :rolleyes:

BYB

I was half listening to this show in the background tonight while I messed about on the laptop. There's a guy in the final 3 called Chris, who I beleive sat at my table at last year's ANHC. He was one of the Beer Masons (google it), along with a really chatty (I won't say annoying) lass.

Couldn't hear Chris much over the other Beer Mason, but he seemed like a nice bloke. Don't remember him wearing a hat.

Probably less worried about looking bald IRL than on TV.

Getting back to the correct termanology I think its pretty much standard part of this stuff, yeah they may sound pouncy cause they are often french words.
Most people proberly don't know what half them are or mean but we all know they discribe ussual classic standards for any chef.
No different to any of us saying we are brewing a saison or a dubbel or whatever.

The show is great but a major fault on the producers part from the begining was to have george part of the show, he does not look good on tv at all, can't even stand up straight and really shows a real lack of any class. He almost makes Huey easy to watch.

The show is great but a major fault on the producers part from the begining was to have george part of the show, he does not look good on tv at all, can't even stand up straight and really shows a real lack of any class. He almost makes Huey easy to watch.

jayse, for once I agree with you 100%.
George is not TV material, the way he stands and tries to look intimidating when you see a shot of the judges standing together is laughable. :lol:

stagga.

While I won't be buying a TV Week so I can give him a gold Logie, he is far and away the most personable of all the judges and better than that useless presenter too.

IMO.

What about Matt?
You`d have to agree he has a very noble head when the cam. zooms in?

stagga.

I've been steering clear of this thread for the last week because we were behind and had it stored on IQ. Now that I've caught up, here's what I reckon.

Poncy terminology: Who gives a rats? It's a cooking show. Would you watch V8 Supercars if they started talking about the big engines in the really fast cars?

Justine: not bad for a Hurlstone Park girl. But I think she's just the best of a pretty pedestrian bunch. There's Julie who's a middle aged mum, Julia who looks more like a mouse with those huge ears and Poh who reminds me of a hitman everytime she talks. Quentin Tarantino could do worse than cast her in his next flick.

Chris: Comes across as a bit of a tosser. But I like his plan to have a Beer Masons restaurant using beer in most of the processes. I hope he wins as I think of the final 3 he is the most passionate. Poh will probably still concentrate on her art and Julie just doesn't do it for me in the kitchen. Her cake last night looked really good though.

It will be out of Chris is Poh... Hopefully Chris the beer gnome... apparently his doing Julia!

Latest posts

Back