Masterchef Food Tossers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Further to the conspiracy, did you notice how little air time she or any of the dishes she cooked received in the first few weeks. She was lucky to be seen in background most episodes.

Its been said before, but "hot and can cook", does beg the question though, does her dad own a brewery? I guess nothing is perfect though!

And Chris (beer guy with the hat) does kind of seem like a bit of gumpy troll. Maybe it's cos it is the shows beer sponsor and there is no other choice but for a 'beer merchant' he does seem to get rather happy in the pants for the JS bottles.

Cheers SJ

can we get back to talking about how hot justine is please???

I didnt really understand the VB comment!

It was the extremely low standard comment that got me!

Im a female so Im not as visually stimulated as you blokes.

Remember folks, this is TV. It's about the ratings and endorsements, not actually about finding the best cook/soon-to-be-chef.

I dislike most of the people on there (as possible chefs/foodies): Half the time they cook something and say "Ohhh.. I don't know if this tastes good or not..." Only a few of them actually seem to know what they are cooking, and say "Yeah, this is good but some part of it is below standard"

Remember folks, this is TV. It's about the ratings and endorsements, not actually about finding the best cook/soon-to-be-chef.

True, Adam, but this has been mitigated to an extent by the fact that contestants (remember people these 'reality shows' are really just big long draw out game shows with elaborate contests) are eliminated based on performance/critical review from the judges.

unlike other shows it is not popularity driven with the general public voting through SMS or phone lines (interestingly its amazing the number of people who happily pay money to vote for contestants on TV shows, but bitch and moan about voting in elections!).

/endrant

Cheers SJ

In fairness to Bribie, I think that what he was trying to convey was not that the use of specific terminology is poncy....but rather that there is a limit, a line if you will, between being knowledgeable and professional, and just talking a load of old toss.

To put it into beer terms, we all (as brewers) use a certain amount of terminology, particularly for the taste descriptors, such as mid-palate, dry end-note, nose, bouquet, etc etc etc. But it's not long ago that everyone was having a good old larf at the overly complicated, flowery descriptions given to that 150 year old (or whatever it was) beer that was opened and then reviewed in British news publications.....there's a fine line between using technical terminoligy and analogious (sp?) descriptors, and being a complete ponce. ;)

I might use a roux-blond to thicken my demi-glace.....but I wouldn't tell someone that they only need to have a soussant of the sauce....just a small amount. :p

Its being one of the better ones.... They have really shown what the show is about and not so much on the personalities!

They need James May, Jeremy Clarkson and Oz Clark as guest judges. :lol:

BTW if a bloke turned up to a five star restaurant and wore a hat inside he would probably find himself sat outside on the pavement if he did not remove it.

In fairness to Bribie, I think that what he was trying to convey was not that the use of specific terminology is poncy....but rather that there is a limit, a line if you will, between being knowledgeable and professional, and just talking a load of old toss.

To put it into beer terms, we all (as brewers) use a certain amount of terminology, particularly for the taste descriptors, such as mid-palate, dry end-note, nose, bouquet, etc etc etc. But it's not long ago that everyone was having a good old larf at the overly complicated, flowery descriptions given to that 150 year old (or whatever it was) beer that was opened and then reviewed in British news publications.....there's a fine line between using technical terminoligy and analogious (sp?) descriptors, and being a complete ponce. ;)

I might use a roux-blond to thicken my demi-glace.....but I wouldn't tell someone that they only need to have a soussant of the sauce....just a small amount. :p

Fair point but these amateurs are aiming to compete and become the top chef and gain employment in 5 star restaurants (well, some of them anyway). In that world, simplistic terms we use on a day to day basis to describe food doesn't cut it.

Horses for courses.

My favourite cook book is Stephanie Alexander's 'A cooks companion'. This book for a home kitchen explains what a roux is, etc etc.

The words may sound wanky/poncy but that doesn't make incorrect. :icon_cheers:

Grab Joe Blogs off the street, give him a glass of beer and ask him to describe the bouquet, what he tastes on the back palate etc

Odds are you will end up with said beer poured over your head with words referring to your sexuality muttered. :lol:

Alot of the terms can come across as a bit wanky and over the top but 90% of these terms are derived from French cookery. If i ask a chef for brunoise of carrot they know to cut them 3mm by 3mm by3mm, if i ask for a beurre noisette they know i want nut brown butter.
For me it is a fun show with some excellent cooking but they have failed to tell these 20 to 40 year old they will be working for years on low wages, 6 days a week at times, most nights and weekends, iy isnt as glamorous as it looks on tv.

ps Chef for 15+ years

Sorry guys, I can't read this thread now. I'm right in the middle of mashing my grist.

This little bit of gold seemed to have been missed by many.

Technical terms sound wanky to anyone who doesn't know what they mean.

I can imagine a new masterchef episode.

Mystery Box:

George: "So what are you making for us tonight Chris?"

Chris: "Um...........food"

Gary: "Sounds good. What do you plan to do with it?"

Chris: I'm going to be cooking it Gary

Gary: "Alright, well good luck. You know that bit of food needs to be prepared don't you?

..... they have failed to tell these 20 to 40 year old they will be working for years on low wages, 6 days a week at times, most nights and weekends, iy isnt as glamorous as it looks on tv.

ps Chef for 15+ years

I've been wondering about this one. I have about ten years or more hospitality experience, mostly in kitchens and over half of it cooking and I have a hard time working out why a 40+ something lawyer (also ex -paintings conservator from the NGV) would want to work 80+ hours a week for around $10-15 an hour, not eat, drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney and burn and cut himself until he's permanently scarred.

Good luck nonetheless.

It's a shit business. I'm glad I'm out of it.

Alot of the terms can come across as a bit wanky and over the top but 90% of these terms are derived from French cookery. If i ask a chef for brunoise of carrot they know to cut them 3mm by 3mm by3mm, if i ask for a beurre noisette they know i want nut brown butter.
For me it is a fun show with some excellent cooking but they have failed to tell these 20 to 40 year old they will be working for years on low wages, 6 days a week at times, most nights and weekends, iy isnt as glamorous as it looks on tv.

ps Chef for 15+ years

Yep 3G, 100% agree with you, but you forgot to mention split shifts 6 days a week, lack of social life, eating disorders, alcoholism and drug addiction........cute waitresses only go a very very short way towards making up for all of that :D

Proper terms are used for a good reason just as they are in brewing, they only sound 'wanky' to people who have no idea why they are used and could care less. Matt Preston annoys the hell out of me with his attitude and IMO he fully qualifies for the term wanker (well he is a food critic), but on a whole I consider the show to be better value than rubbish like 'the footy show' and the like. You want to see a bunch of wankers behaving like spastic juveniles then watch that.

I was also a professional chef for nearly 15 years, of my 20 years in the hospo trade, 6 of them as a head chef, and as far as the hat thing goes, I have done and probably still would throw something at someone who was silly enough to come into my commercial kitchen without a hat on. While he probably doesn't wear it for this reason, hair belongs on your head, not in the food you're preparing. As an apprentice, I was not permitted into the kitchen without the proper attire and there was no discussion on the matter ( in fact my first head chef was bloody scarey on the subject). If it were my show the whole bloody lot of them would be in full white kit, and be made to leave the kitchen and change if they dirtied anything other than their apron ....just like I was and I suspect 3G may have been too. Cooking is a proud profession often taken for granted by the general population, and I'm a bit suprised to see people who happily embrace a special little name for every part of the brew having an issue with cooking terminology - it's a little hyprocritical.

I also think there might be some confusion on here on the difference between the weekend cowboys cooks you see at fasta pasta etc and the professional brigade chefs who have made a career choice, have spent serious time and $$$ training and take their profession extremely seriously. I'm known for not mincing words, but I would hesitate before using the terms 'poncy' and 'wanky' around some of my old kitchen colleagues lest I get knocked on my ass for my troubles........

The show is OK - it's a bit of fun, but as 3G mentioned the reality is very different - most of those guys would get a hell of a shock if they got dropped into service in a real kitchen. Turning out one meal in 30-45 mins is a piece of piss. I can tell you from experience that being part of a kitchen that turns out 400 meals in 4 hours is something altogether different...but good on them for trying eh :) Personally I was a little jealous of them having the opportunity to cook for a couple of the people they were in the last episode....Armando Percuoco and Jacques Reymond. Justine should be rightfully proud of her effort, and the response she received.
Picture this - aspiring amateur brewer gets opportunity to train in worldclass brewery in Germany with award winning brewer.........calls head brewer a wanker for using the correct traditional terminology........:lol:........ I reckon his feet would barely touch the ground whilst getting shown the exit.

I have a hard time working out why a 40+ something lawyer (also ex -paintings conservator from the NGV) would want to work 80+ hours a week for around $10-15 an hour, not eat, drink like a fish, smoke like a chimney and burn and cut himself until he's permanently scarred.

It's all about the 15 Minutes.

Overall I quite like Master Chef. Considering other reality show options, like Big Brother, I'm glad Ten have run with it. Wanky terms or not I'd much rather watch someone tea smoke a duck breast over tossers turkey slaping each other :p

For my 2c: if you don't see someone better looking than her every time you go down the shops you're walking around with your eyes closed. This country has extremely low standards. Jennifer Hawkins is in the same boat. Blonde, skinny = hot. Nothing else matters. You can have both of them. At once. With their sisters. I don't care.

Duuuuuude... big statement! I've met Jen, up close and, I wish!, personal. I walk around this fair city of Newcastle, along with many other cities in this lucky country we live in, a fair bit and I can assure you there is a good reason she won...

.....although it wasn't for her intelligence... :ph34r:

Hmm... I held the belief that she wasn't as dumb as a post, I'm wrong?

Not dumb as a post, but she's not the brightest crayon in the box either...

I didn't mean to offend anyone, we're talking about a very subjective thing and I should have chucked in an IMO or two. But I maintain that she is not the hottest woman in Australia and yet all I hear at work is Jennifer Hawkins this and Jennifer Hawkins that. No one else. Why? She hasn't got anything that hasn't been seen a thousand times already.

Yep 3G, 100% agree with you, but you forgot to mention split shifts 6 days a week, lack of social life, eating disorders, alcoholism and drug addiction........cute waitresses only go a very very short way towards making up for all of that

Proper terms are used for a good reason just as they are in brewing, they only sound 'wanky' to people who have no idea why they are used and could care less. Matt Preston annoys the hell out of me with his attitude and IMO he fully qualifies for the term wanker (well he is a food critic), but on a whole I consider the show to be better value than rubbish like 'the footy show' and the like. You want to see a bunch of wankers behaving like spastic juveniles then watch that.

I was also a professional chef for nearly 15 years, of my 20 years in the hospo trade, 6 of them as a head chef, and as far as the hat thing goes, I have done and probably still would throw something at someone who was silly enough to come into my commercial kitchen without a hat on. While he probably doesn't wear it for this reason, hair belongs on your head, not in the food you're preparing. As an apprentice, I was not permitted into the kitchen without the proper attire and there was no discussion on the matter ( in fact my first head chef was bloody scarey on the subject). If it were my show the whole bloody lot of them would be in full white kit, and be made to leave the kitchen and change if they dirtied anything other than their apron ....just like I was and I suspect 3G may have been too. Cooking is a proud profession often taken for granted by the general population, and I'm a bit suprised to see people who happily embrace a special little name for every part of the brew having an issue with cooking terminology - it's a little hyprocritical.

I also think there might be some confusion on here on the difference between the weekend cowboys cooks you see at fasta pasta etc and the professional brigade chefs who have made a career choice, have spent serious time and $$$ training and take their profession extremely seriously. I'm known for not mincing words, but I would hesitate before using the terms 'poncy' and 'wanky' around some of my old kitchen colleagues lest I get knocked on my ass for my troubles........

The show is OK - it's a bit of fun, but as 3G mentioned the reality is very different - most of those guys would get a hell of a shock if they got dropped into service in a real kitchen. Turning out one meal in 30-45 mins is a piece of piss. I can tell you from experience that being part of a kitchen that turns out 400 meals in 4 hours is something altogether different...but good on them for trying eh Personally I was a little jealous of them having the opportunity to cook for a couple of the people they were in the last episode....Armando Percuoco and Jacques Reymond. Justine should be rightfully proud of her effort, and the response she received.
Picture this - aspiring amateur brewer gets opportunity to train in worldclass brewery in Germany with award winning brewer.........calls head brewer a wanker for using the correct traditional terminology................ I reckon his feet would barely touch the ground whilst getting shown the exit.

Fully agree with Dom here.. ;)

My biggest issue has been there Clothing attire, this is meant to be "MASTERCHEF" and they are wearing casual clothes, the best they ever looked is when they were wearing their "WHITES" in a commercial kitchen, they looked much more professional..

I think out of everyone cooking as a trade, 95% are just cooks and about 5% are Chefs, Chefs know what they are talking about and know every aspect of cookery, Cooks are cooks (maybe)... <_<

Hey Dom, pressure is 120 covers in 3.5hrs, thats when you know that you are a Chef... :super: Whats this 400 covers in 4hrs?? :unsure:

Justine's dish is exactly what I would love to order if I went out, a Classic Dish with Flavour (and Duck), absolutely shit over any other dish there from what I saw, nothing better.....

CB (disgruntled Chef turned "Master Waiter")

My biggest issue has been there Clothing attire, this is meant to be "MASTERCHEF" and they are wearing casual clothes, the best they ever looked is when they were wearing their "WHITES" in a commercial kitchen, they looked much more professional.

Yeah but they're trying their hardest not to look like the, very similar, US show Top Chef (where the contestants wear whites throughout). Basically the same idea but without the master classes (this addition is this show's only strength, IMO).

Back