Masterchef Food Tossers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
OK I really like Masterchef and have been following it from week one but I am becoming quite irritated by all the torturous food terms, designed to convey that they are so superior and you and I are ignorant uneducated white trash, such as:

Poh is preparing a Granouche of potatoes with a Frambloo of prawn

The thing about a Tremerre is that it should hit you between the eyes with its acidity unlike the blander Songarre.

Congratulations on the best Frunj Hong Ha I have so far tasted in the competition. An addition of ranchee petit fours would help here.

I've been cooking for half a century and I wonder where they get their food w&nk terms from, hopefully the current recession will knock a lot of these food wackers on the head.

Bloody ridiculous <insert icon of grumpy old *******.>

Vent away Bribs..... Im so sick of those tossers...hope that beer guy won :)

Would's'tha prefer sum good owd dripping and Yorkshire pud, lad? Wi'sum dead babies and custard, for us afters?

:lol:

There's nowt as queer as folk. ;)

Sorry guys, I can't read this thread now. I'm right in the middle of mashing my grist.

One of my pet hates is hat-wearing posers.

After seeing a couple of ads, I decided to give the whole show a pass. Doubt that Ive missed much.

It's not bad in small doses. It actually has some interesting (and useful) culinary information (sorry, BribieG) from time to time which is very unusual for these shows.

However, every contestant is a ********* as far as I can tell.

I haven't seen too much, but a highlight was the beer merchant guy who made a Beeramisu with a Young's Choc Stout.

Would you rather them stand around a bbq, wearing aprons with prosthetic breasts, flipping rissoles they got from the local butcher, Barry? It's a show about gourmet cooking...

I've been cooking for half a century and I wonder where they get their food w&nk terms from, hopefully the current recession will knock a lot of these food wackers on the head.

They have food all over the world, you know! Massive range of foods from a massive number of cultures, absolutely limitless. It's very similar to beer and I'm flabbergastered to hear that on a brewing site from someone with knowledge about how beer is brewed, and the diversity that is possible with beer (something that is largely unknown to the public, much more so than gourmet cooking).

There is more to food than what you see everyday at the local bistro or at home; just like there is more to beer than Melbourne Bitter... wait... <_<

There is more to food than what you see everyday at the local bistro or at home; just like there is more to beer than Melbourne Bitter... wait... <_<

There sure is ... VB, or for the beer afficionado - Cartlton cold.

I must admit, when the beer guy got his suprise basket of ingrediants and there was a JSGA in there, the judges asked him what he was going to do with the brew, he said "I'm going to drink it" and im pretty sure he drank other people bottles too

top work son

It seems like an interesting enough show, all the remaining contestants will get jobs in the food industry now anyway with all the eposure they have gotten so far

Justine is hot...

They have food all over the world, you know! Massive range of foods from a massive number of cultures, absolutely limitless. .................... <_<

No, not being parochial: I lived in Turkey for a year and visited all areas of that wonderful land and I tell you what there is NO so called Turkish Bread in Turkey. Never saw it there as you get it in Woolies or Aldi. Also no Pide (pronouced pee-day apparently, doesn't rhyme with 'fried'). Total invention of Australian fast food outlets. Maybe I should start a Yorkshire Puddng chain along with Butters. Eh by goom, politically incorrect beef dripping as a base..........PM me for a good recipe :icon_cheers:

No, not being parochial: I lived in Turkey for a year and visited all areas of that wonderful land and I tell you what there is NO so called Turkish Bread in Turkey. Never saw it there as you get it in Woolies or Aldi. Also no Pide (pronouced pee-day apparently, doesn't rhyme with 'fried'). Total invention of Australian fast food outlets. Maybe I should start a Yorkshire Puddng chain along with Butters. Eh by goom, politically incorrect beef dripping as a base..........PM me for a good recipe :icon_cheers:
Read this thread and tried to ignore it, I agree with Adamt on this one.

Bribie, regarding pide, it's just one of the varieties of turkish pizza base? You must've been looking in the wrong places in Turkey!

This certainly looks like the pide i've had here

I'm sure some of the culinary afficianado's would have a giggle at a bunch of hobbyist brewers using terms such as 'acetaldehyde', 'diacetyl rests' or even Belgian Wit, Schwarzbier, Flanders Red and ESB. To them, the stuff they have been drinking for decades, has probably just been beer... ;)

I can't take to that neck-scarf wearing pratt though, he shits me to tears. Never misses out on a feed either...

Remember, we call hot water hot liquor.........Why??? No-one really knows do they?

You want wankery, checkout wine critics.

I just can't watch masterchef as I have a thing about men with cravats, they always remind me of that waiter from the simpsons with the hi pitched voice.

Maybe I should start a Yorkshire Puddng chain along with Butters. Eh by goom, politically incorrect beef dripping as a base..........PM me for a good recipe :icon_cheers:

Bribie, if this place also serves pints of real ale, then please please reserve me a table for opening night :icon_drool2:

Cheers SJ

OK I really like Masterchef and have been following it from week one but I am becoming quite irritated by all the torturous food terms, designed to convey that they are so superior and you and I are ignorant uneducated white trash, such as:

Poh is preparing a Granouche of potatoes with a Frambloo of prawn

The thing about a Tremerre is that it should hit you between the eyes with its acidity unlike the blander Songarre.

Congratulations on the best Frunj Hong Ha I have so far tasted in the competition. An addition of ranchee petit fours would help here.

Bloody ridiculous <insert icon of grumpy old *******.>

Of all the people on this site i would have picked you last as the person to write this type of hypocritical nonsense.

Apart from the fact the show is about finding the best amateur cook in Oz to become a chef in a very high brow restaurant, a quick scan through the pages of this site and its apparent we use the same 'wanky' descriptors for most of the techniques we use in brewing as well as describing flavours and aroma in the manner of a wine judge.

I don't mind the show, the longer its gone on the more its reverting to its reality tv roots but the more people learn about cooking food for themselves from scratch the sooner this nation will drop down the list of the fattest nations in the world.

But you're forgiven Bribie, i expected to see some whinging by the poms when i logged on this morning..... :lol: (both punter and katich are in my fantasy cricket team! :super: )

Sorry Brib but I goota disagree with you.

culinary terms have an origin. usually from the coutry of origin of that dish. its not differant from the beer terms of mash, wort (pronounced wert), lambic etc ect. they have a place in the kitchen and the food world.

The old man was a chef (a proper chef, not a f'kn poser like half the people these days). He uses the proper culinary terms. learned kitchen/cooking terms in other languges for that ecact reason. they mean something.

Im not convinced about Justine. Sometimes she looks hot and sometimes very average. i recon she's had a boob job. (sorry had to bring the conversation back down to AHB level).

Back