Masterchef Food Tossers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me offal is the internal organs and gut/stomach of an animal.

Brains,tails,tungue, hock/trotters etc are not considered offal

I remember well when we killed steers and lambs and hung them up, slit their brisket and let all the offal pour out into a hole in the ground....

@bum - you keep apologising for causing offence but you haven't yet done so. Rhetoric is how something is phrased, usually with a focus on being entertaining but often as a way of disguising a lack of substance behind the pretty words.

Rhetoric is really just an effective manner of presenting an argument (as is a position or stance on an issue rather than a debating point (although it can be that too, obviously)). Common use of the word, usually used as a comeback (and most commonly in the political realm), would imply your interpretation to be correct but, ironically, the rhetoric of such arguments has undermined the word itself.

As for what Chris would or wouldn't cook - he was asked to present dishes that would represent his cookbook idea and the proteins were all (broadly speaking) offal. I haven't watched a great deal of the show but I guarantee that in general Poh would kick his arse in the "snout to tail" stakes.

Rhetoric is really just an effective manner of presenting an argument (as is a position or stance on an issue rather than a debating point (although it can be that too, obviously)). Common use of the word, usually used as a comeback (and most commonly in the political realm), would imply your interpretation to be correct but, ironically, the rhetoric of such arguments has undermined the word itself.
True - there's rhetoric and there's empty rhetoric

As for what Chris would or wouldn't cook - he was asked to present dishes that would represent his cookbook idea and the proteins were all (broadly speaking) offal. I haven't watched a great deal of the show but I guarantee that in general Poh would kick his arse in the "snout to tail" stakes.

He's still a step above the homecook centrefold.

No question, her dishes were incomplete and pedestrian.

This isnt it.... but I know it was lemony. Try this one. But replace the potato with puff pastry...

* 25 g Butter
* 4 shallots finely chopped
* bulb Fennel finely chopped
* 250 ml Dry White Wine
* 250 ml Noilly Prat or dry vermouth
* 500 ml fish stock
* 500 ml Double cream
* 2 tablespoons wholegrain Mustard
* Sea Salt & freshly ground black pepper
* 800 g mix of white Fish Fillets such as cod, haddock, monkfish, coley
* 200 g raw peeled King Prawns
* Lemon Juice
* Few sprigs of Thyme
* Small handful of tarragon, flat leaf parsley chervil

For the topping

* 5 large Desiree Potatoes
* Milk for mashing
* Butter for mashing
* 2 large egg yolks

Method

* Heat the butter in a pan and sweat the shallots and fennel until soft. Add the wine and vermouth and reduce by half. Add the stock and bubble away again until reduced by half.
* Pour in the cream and boil until reduced to a sauce like consistency. Strain through a sieve, discarding the shallot and fennel. Stir in the mustard, check for seasoning then leave to cool.
* Meanwhile heat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Check the fish for any small bones, removing any with tweezers, then cut into 3cm chunks. Poach the fish in enough water to cover, with a squeeze of lemon juice and the thyme, until slightly undercooked. Remove the fish from the poaching liquid with a slotted spoon. Gently fold the prawns and fish into the sauce with a little extra lemon juice and chopped herbs. Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish.

For the topping

* Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, and mash with a little milk and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, then either pipe the mash over the filling or spoon it over for a more rustic finish.
* Bake the pie for about 20 minutes until bubbling and golden brown on top. Serve with buttered petit pois or spinach.

Notes And Tips

:icon_offtopic:
Many thanks Katie, I made this last night, I was a bit dubious at first because as I was making the sauce and tasting it I thought it was really sweet from the vermouth, but when the dish finally came together it was absolutely fantastic, I've got two more single serves in the freezer for a treat night.

fish_pie_001__640x480_.JPGfish_pie_004__640x480_.JPGfish_pie_009__640x480_.JPG

master-rigged. no way julie won. oh well. opened up the cookery door for a lot of people and bought back cooking to the people. hopefully people start to get enthusiastic about cooking again.

and now i'll have another beer.,

edit: pie looks great andrew

master-rigged. no way julie won. oh well. opened up the cookery door for a lot of people and bought back cooking to the people. hopefully people start to get enthusiastic about cooking again.

and now i'll have another beer.,

edit: pie looks great andrew

Her sorbet was perfect and Poh didn't even look at doing her sorbet till 20 minutes to go. Also Poh decided to put her chocolate pipe into the fridge and it didn't temper well. Julie's went "snap" and that did it for the judges.

Anyway all done and dusted. My son turned up today with 3 doz eggs from his chooks so I'm back to scrambled eggs, omelettes etc for the next couple of weeks :icon_cheers: Aren't you glad you aren't sleeping with me :rolleyes:

Probably but I doubt that accounts for all the reasons.

Mastermeh-f. I lost all interest in the last week. The soppy, reality tv whinging started and that was enough for me. Congratulations to what appears to be "Mrs Woman's Day 2009"!

They probably made the right decision though, I'm sure the judges were swayed by feeling plenty of times earlier in the "competition". She probably needs the money and cookbook deal more than any of the others - the others have massive kickstarts in the industry and time on their hands to open restaurants/whatever, where Julie has a family which she (to my understanding) takes care of.

...She probably needs the money and cookbook deal more than any of the others - the others have massive kickstarts in the industry and time on their hands to open restaurants/whatever...
Chris possibly needed the 100k more than Julie according to this article.

My favourite quote: Crystal A of Ashfield Posted at 6:47pm today "He looks dodgy.. and thanks to public records his dodginess is confirmed! lol"

Have to admit that after watching the show each night it was hard not to get inspired about cooking.

And at this time of the year i love whipping out the old fashioned recipes.

Made a massive pot of my take on irish stew on the weekend for dinner tonight. Have a 3 shades of stout on tap to go with it!

If the only thing good to come out of this show is (as others have said) that more people get into the kitchen and cook with fresh ingredients rather than packets and tins then its a winner in my books.

EDIT - pre morning coffee spelling

Yeah Ive enjoyed watching the show that is for sure. I missed the auditions they were terrible but once they started cooking it was great. I love to cook, so does my partner. We both have different styles. We have Master chef challenges, my daughter loves it, she had her first one the other night. She is 7 so obviously she was the HEAD CHEF and getting Lloydie to do the cutting etc. We kept the ingredients simple , but it was a very enjoyable dinner.

Going to have to do it live next time. Worst kept secret in the industry for long time.

Actually I was referring to the "Biggest arse" competition, but yeah, I'm in the know! B) .

Snow: If anyone made any real big money off that I'm sure it would have been investigated... but it probably wasn't the smartest idea to offer odds on a past event!

We have being having masterchef challengers at home....

And this is my 7 year olds challenge.... We kept it simple but she did well!

Masterchef_013uuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Masterchef_014.jpg

Masterchefvvvv_016.jpg

Masterchef_017jjj.jpg

And this is when she was judging ours... Alot prettier then Matt Preston...

Masterchef_006.jpg

Back