Masterchef Food Tossers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you imagine going into Coles or Woolies and asking where are the Century eggs and the Pandan leaves please?

Unlike your garden variety pig feet and beef cheeks.

Can you imagine going into Coles or Woolies and asking where are the Century eggs and the Pandan leaves please?
Andrew
no but i can imagine going next store to the asian grocery and getting them. I regularly shop at middle eastern, asian etc grocery stores to get produce. ok not the everyday items but other bits and pieces. or head off to the markets. yeah we are luky in melbourne (spoilt for choice).

edit:
trotters and cheeks you go to the butcher.

Was really surprised Chris opted to do beef cheeks last nite, I almost picked some up for our dog at Woolies in the offal section a while ago, but thought "nah, he won`t eat that".
Even tho Chris did them in a pressure cooker last nite, they were still inedible.
My dog is even smarter than I thought. :lol:
{he`s 15 so a wise old dog}

stagga.

Was really surprised Chris opted to do beef cheeks last nite, I almost picked some up for our dog at Woolies in the offal section a while ago, but thought "nah, he won`t eat that".
Even tho Chris did them in a pressure cooker last nite, they were still inedible.
My dog is even smarter than I thought. :lol:
{he`s 15 so a wise old dog}

stagga.

OMG... Beef Cheeks cooked correctly(slow and long) are fantastic, espeacially with redwine and carmalized shallots or baby onions... Though they need to be done in the oven slowly for a lot longer time then Chris had that is why he did them in a pressure cooker.

We have pandan extract in our pantry we often make a dipping sauce out of it. Ive eaten Pandan quite alot in Asia. Its yummy!

Unlike your garden variety pig feet and beef cheeks.

Pigs trotters and beef cheeks are readily available from the butchers.

Sadly (or not) century eggs aren't at our chinese supermarket, neither are pandan leaves, although I can get them from the beach car park, go figure.

Typical channel 10... How set up was that! They said Beer gnomes execution skills were not up to pat that night, well Julie didnt get her food on the plate. Her food was a sexy as a set of flanny pj's. George even said the chicken was overcooked.
Im a home cook and I would not buy her book just like I dont buy Donna Hay's books, but I do have Stephanie Alexander, Maggie Beer so I have nothing against the home cook. I just like a bit of guts... Chris idea of using every part of the animal is inspirational I like it alot. Maybe I just like the fact he like beer... :icon_cheers:
I dont know what else I expected from Channel 10!

Im with you Katie, Its Master Chef, not Master home-cook!

Roast Lamb with mashed spuds was her entry card meal. Which is what Gary Mehigan grilled everyone on at the auditions! You would think by the end of the competition, being in the semi-final you can pull out better trump cards than 'lamb on mash'. The only thing that got her through was Donna Hay being a writer for Julies demographic and her book concept appeals to her.

Chris' ideas are new, fresh and reinventing the 'peasant food' wheel. As for all you saying beef cheeks, trotters etc are dog food, you consider this because you have grown up in a wasteful western society that only considers prime cuts to be 'better' meat. Whats considered better? Flash frying a steak rare or slow roasting a shoulder of pork until its melting off the bone. I prefer number 2! :icon_drool2:

I remember less than 12 months ago i was getting pork belly for $5-7 a kilo, now im looking at $12-16. Same goes for lamb shanks, its 1 joint away from a trotter/hoof! Unfortunatly now that every aussie and his dog loves these cuts as they are 'fashionable' and the price sky rockets!

I commend Chris with his plan to do something unique that doesnt exist in this country. Beer focused restaurants based on peasant style dishes. Cuisine that is very big in European homes, using offal and 'cheper' cuts of meat to produce something really special e.g. Italian Zampone stuffed with Cotechino (boned trotter stuffed with suasage made of tough pork cuts and fat) :icon_drool2:

To me, It sounds like they cut the obvious winner in turn for playing up to the 2 adults and 2.4 children viewer demographic who will buy Julies book. :rolleyes: Dissimilar to the Gen Ys who will buy Chris book, support his cause for nose to tail eating and visit his establishment time and time again.

Pigs trotters and beef cheeks are readily available from the butchers.

Sadly (or not) century eggs aren't at our chinese supermarket, neither are pandan leaves, although I can get them from the beach car park, go figure.
you got century eggs from the beach car park?! :icon_vomit: kidding. Im lucky in regards to asian groceries as theres a big asian community/suburb near me.

As for all you saying beef cheeks, trotters etc are dog food, you consider this because you have grown up in a wasteful western society that only considers prime cuts to be 'better' meat.
who said trotters etc were dog food? (although dogs of course love offal). Most Baby boomers grew up with kidney, brain, liver etc etc. maybe Gen X dont like it as much. weird vegan hippies. Not sure that all of Gen Y agrees about the nose to tail approach.

Im an X.... but I fined dined dined through the ninties living in Sydney so was exposed to array of foods. Neil Jackson in Perth's JACKSONS loves using offal and does it very well.

Reminds me CM2 I must do that blood sausage risotto.

I love slow cooking, more time to drink and relax before hand. Though I must admit I have not really cooked with offal. I will eat it though.

I came home yesterday to a stove top full of home made stocks (another one of Lloyds addictions) beef, chicken and mushroom you should of smelt the place!

lucky girl KT. you've got yourself a top bloke.

sort of relevant due to its offal content. i cam home the other day and the old man had beaten me to it. He'd gotten around to making more chicken and duck liver pate. we have a family recipe and ive been slack and havent made any in a while. oh so good. and to top it off there was a couple containers of lambs fry there as well (liver, bacon and onion in gravy)

who said trotters etc were dog food? (although dogs of course love offal). Most Baby boomers grew up with kidney, brain, liver etc etc. maybe Gen X dont like it as much. weird vegan hippies. Not sure that all of Gen Y agrees about the nose to tail approach.

See Below. As for Gen Y, i have alot of friends (most of european decent) who are happy to eat/explore that kind of stuff. As you know, If you appreciate food as culture rather than just sustinence, things become allot more palatable and you are ususally open to trying new things. The best 'offal' meat i have ever eaten where sucking pig cheeks and meat around the face at Adrian Richardsons La Luna this year... Sensational The Glace cherry was the wafer thin cracking like toffee! :icon_drool2: Anyway, to me it aint offal unless its the entrails and the furtherst i venture into entrails is liver and kidney. I used to eat Lambs brains as a kid, havnt had it for quite some time now. Offal = rubbish, if its flesh/meat, it goes in mah belly! :p

It will be out of Chris is Poh... Hopefully Chris the beer gnome... apparently his doing Julia!
I saw them both hand in hand down Lt Bourke St in Melb city on the eve of Queens Birthday. Was going to say hi but at that point in the show i hadn't memorised their names! :p

I saw them both hand in hand down Lt Bourke St in Melb city on the eve of Queens Birthday. Was going to say hi but at that point in the show i hadn't memorised their names! :p

Must of being one sexy sight!

mmmmmmmm pigs cheeks!

Not along ago Lloydie and I had the experience of eating a organic pig that was brought up on peaches and nectrines... Lloydie helped carve it up so we got the best bits. She was just a baby pig... so yummy!

I wish masterChef would post up Chris' Fish Pie recipe, I love fish pie :wub: and his one looked great :icon_drool2: .

Andrew

I wish masterChef would post up Chris' Fish Pie recipe, I love fish pie :wub: and his one looked great :icon_drool2: .

Andrew

This isnt it.... but I know it was lemony. Try this one. But replace the potato with puff pastry...

* 25 g Butter
* 4 shallots finely chopped
* bulb Fennel finely chopped
* 250 ml Dry White Wine
* 250 ml Noilly Prat or dry vermouth
* 500 ml fish stock
* 500 ml Double cream
* 2 tablespoons wholegrain Mustard
* Sea Salt & freshly ground black pepper
* 800 g mix of white Fish Fillets such as cod, haddock, monkfish, coley
* 200 g raw peeled King Prawns
* Lemon Juice
* Few sprigs of Thyme
* Small handful of tarragon, flat leaf parsley chervil

For the topping

* 5 large Desiree Potatoes
* Milk for mashing
* Butter for mashing
* 2 large egg yolks

Method

* Heat the butter in a pan and sweat the shallots and fennel until soft. Add the wine and vermouth and reduce by half. Add the stock and bubble away again until reduced by half.
* Pour in the cream and boil until reduced to a sauce like consistency. Strain through a sieve, discarding the shallot and fennel. Stir in the mustard, check for seasoning then leave to cool.
* Meanwhile heat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Check the fish for any small bones, removing any with tweezers, then cut into 3cm chunks. Poach the fish in enough water to cover, with a squeeze of lemon juice and the thyme, until slightly undercooked. Remove the fish from the poaching liquid with a slotted spoon. Gently fold the prawns and fish into the sauce with a little extra lemon juice and chopped herbs. Transfer to an ovenproof baking dish.

For the topping

* Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, and mash with a little milk and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, then either pipe the mash over the filling or spoon it over for a more rustic finish.
* Bake the pie for about 20 minutes until bubbling and golden brown on top. Serve with buttered petit pois or spinach.

Notes And Tips

Thanks Katie, I new you'd have something up your sleeve, sounds delicious.
What's Petit Pois?

Cheers
Andrew

You can thank Ramsey for that receipe, NOW he is a wanker but gee he can cook!

blanched peas and lettuce in butter....

Chris didnt cook his seafood but he did have home made pastry which takes longer to cook then puff pastry so I would follow the aboves instructions. Unless you want to make your own pastry. Then a white sauce over top of fresh seafood.

My cup a soups just not doing it for me.

blanched peas and lettuce in butter.... needs a bit of speck or similar also :icon_drool2:

blanched peas and lettuce in butter.... needs a bit of speck or similar also :icon_drool2:

That is the best way to have brussel Sprouts, a little bit of work, you peel them into indvidual leaves, then saute them with speck or bacon. YUM!!!!!

Latest posts

Back