Masterchef Food Tossers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen too much, but a highlight was the beer merchant guy who made a Beeramisu with a Young's Choc Stout.

Chris made almost everything out of beer with some very interesting ideas.
Unfortunately he just got kicked off.
Now he can get on with his beer and food boutique I guess.

So being barely competent with bog standard family fare (and getting a small percentage of it on the plate) is more highly regarded than doing something different? Show should be sponsored by Women's Weekly recipe books.

or...

doing something different that tastes like shit, no matter how much of it's on the plate, doesn't stack up against tasty family fare.

Agree in a way though, hat boy's niche is a little too narrow where the housewife would sell 50000 of her books to Womens Weekly and New Idea readers in a fortnight. It is a shame, and in the eyes of the craft brewing enthusiast it may not be right, but it's the way of the dollar driven world.

Can't say I liked the look of the Century egg, and I don't think the judges were that keen on it either, but her bravery in going outside the box and preparing something outside their comfort zone, along with her presentation got her over the line well in front of the others

i barely bought myself to eat century egg once. foul foul stuff. although in saying that i would have tried Poh's version.

Chris' food didnt taste up to scratch Julie's did, although Im a bit suprised that chris got booted. he doesnt need it anyway. His food would be very hard to market in a cookbook. Donna Hay even said so. It would appeal to a certain market. He would do better with his themed pub hall than his cookbook.

Poh will kill Julie in the final provided she doesnt have a melt down. Although in saying that Poh has had an advantage of sorts being able to go home and retry all those recipes that were disasters and getting them right. although again in saying that she had the nouse to come up with the ideas in the first place.

Justine should stil be on. oh well let the final begin.

In his remarks after the judging, I could have sworn Matt said to Julie her gravy with the rolled lamb was great, when she didn`t have the gravy on the plate?

stagga.

The Beer Masons have a Guide to Cooking With Beer. They are currently giving it away, delivered to your door. I'm signed up.

I would have bought Chris' book and I like the idea of Julie's book. But Poh clearly served up the best tasting and best looking food last night. It is now her competition to lose.

The Beer Masons have a Guide to Cooking With Beer. They are currently giving it away, delivered to your door. I'm signed up.

I would have bought Chris' book and I like the idea of Julie's book. But Poh clearly served up the best tasting and best looking food last night. It is now her competition to lose.

nice one on the book im signed up.

In his remarks after the judging, I could have sworn Matt said to Julie her gravy with the rolled lamb was great, when she didn`t have the gravy on the plate?

stagga.

I thought he was talking about the gravy for the chicken which was in the bottom of the bowl around the mashed potato.

Her food looked piss poor. Lovely cut of lamb but she can hardly take credit for that (especially after mangling it).

:icon_offtopic: There is beercooks on the web welcome to beercook

wonder if Poh can do a good Tom yam goong ? and add a Chang beer to go with it :icon_cheers:

And yes I did figure out she is not Thai BTW ;)
My favourite Malaysian meals...

Roti Canai for breakfast

Penang Laksa for lunch

Fried Banana and Tapioca for snacks

About 15 Kajang Satay sticks for dinner with Ais Kacang for dessert

All washed down with a Tiger

EDIT: Snacks added

Typical channel 10... How set up was that! They said Beer gnomes execution skills were not up to pat that night, well Julie didnt get her food on the plate. Her food was a sexy as a set of flanny pj's. George even said the chicken was overcooked.

Im a home cook and I would not buy her book just like I dont buy Donna Hay's books, but I do have Stephanie Alexander, Maggie Beer so I have nothing against the home cook. I just like a bit of guts... Chris idea of using every part of the animal is inspirational I like it alot. Maybe I just like the fact he like beer... :icon_cheers:

I dont know what else I expected from Channel 10!

...His food would be very hard to market in a cookbook. Donna Hay even said so. It would appeal to a certain market. He would do better with his themed pub hall than his cookbook.

I reckon the exposure from the show would have been enough to sell the book. I can imagine a lot of dad's, husbands, boyfriends, etc. would have got one for xmas in an attempt to encourage cooking.

And of course Donna Hay would say that. Substance over style is not her thing.

cheers
Andrew.

well yes and no. she is right about it being hard for some dishes to look appealing. I didnt think Chris' dishes look overly appealing. photographed it would look even less appealing. theres a lot of tricks used in cookery photography.

edit: interesting in all this time no one has said 'WTF are they making Masterbrewer?' well at least i dont think anyone has said that yet.

well yes and no. she is right about it being hard for some dishes to look appealing. I didnt think Chris' dishes look overly appealing. photographed it would look even less appealing. theres a lot of tricks used in cookery photography.

edit: interesting in all this time no one has said 'WTF are they making Masterbrewer?' well at least i dont think anyone has said that yet.

Well, it would be sponsored by the big boys (if it were to get ANY exposure whatsoever), and each week they'd make a pale Australian lager and no-one would get eliminated.

Not very visual making beer either.

Come back in six weeks and we will see what it tastes like.

I can see George:

"Ooooookay yeah? There's only SIX WEEKS left on the clock, yeah? If you haven't mashed in yet you better get your arses into gear, yeah?"

hmm yeah good point. just a lot of shots with the conestents standing round drinking and watching the mash or boil.

george is a goof. cant handle cultery or stand right. and isnt right for tv

Garry on the other hand is great. you watch him in the masterclasses and can tell he's trained a lot of people and his particular style of questioning/insturction is brilliant. great trainer and chef.

I'll pass on the pigs trotters but I'll be making braised beef cheeks - I'd forgotten all about them - they come out tasting really beefy with a similar flavour to oxtail. Our woolies sells them as it's a big 'oldies' population on the island and they still eat brains, lamb hearts etc. However no way would I have pressure cooked them.

Sorry, of course I should have said joues de boeuf :icon_cheers:

Typical channel 10... How set up was that! They said Beer gnomes execution skills were not up to pat that night, well Julie didnt get her food on the plate. Her food was a sexy as a set of flanny pj's. George even said the chicken was overcooked.

Im a home cook and I would not buy her book just like I dont buy Donna Hay's books, but I do have Stephanie Alexander, Maggie Beer so I have nothing against the home cook. I just like a bit of guts... Chris idea of using every part of the animal is inspirational I like it alot. Maybe I just like the fact he like beer... :icon_cheers:

I dont know what else I expected from Channel 10!

I found it amusing when Donna Hay commented that she will reject certain recipes for her books if they don't photograph to her standards, even if those recipes are better tasting than the ones that she accepts. That has definitely put me off buying her books.
And what is her hang up with brown? As soon as she said that it was obvious Chris was out.
I'd be more inclined to buy Chris' book, he uses easily obtainable ingredients and as you said katie, using the whole animal approach is very interesting.

Can you imagine going into Coles or Woolies and asking where are the Century eggs and the Pandan leaves please?

Andrew

Back