Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently the new owner has his own website being built, and I agree Donske buying an established business is good sense, but buying a floundering business which just by reading on here has lost a lot of customers and credit from suppliers will not automatically be passed over to the new owner.Brew builder is probably the only thing of any value.
But he (the new owner) has no overheads and should be able to lure customers back with decent pricing, so good luck to him.

It all boils down to having a reliable and well priced retailer in New South Wales' second largest city and the huge surrounding area that also includes Hunter and Central Coast.

I'm impressed with Country Brewer East Maitland but their business model is more geared towards walk in trade. If I order online the stock, I understand, comes from a main warehouse at Girraween and Aus Post rates apply so sod that, I can actually get yeast, hops, spec grains etc cheaper out of Brisbane.

If the new owner of Mark's outfit can provide both walk in and a good freight arrangement as I posted earlier, they have the opportunity to clean up in the area. I note that he may be offering free local drop offs as well.

I definitely think a strong on-line presence as well as a walk-in store is the way to go these days as most shoppers now use the internet. Especially when you are chasing customers that may not be close to your store.

One only has to look at the amount of on-line brewing shops that have sprung up over the last years.

Bribie G said:
It all boils down to having a reliable and well priced retailer in New South Wales' second largest city and the huge surrounding area that also includes Hunter and Central Coast.

I'm impressed with Country Brewer East Maitland but their business model is more geared towards walk in trade. If I order online the stock, I understand, comes from a main warehouse at Girraween and Aus Post rates apply so sod that, I can actually get yeast, hops, spec grains etc cheaper out of Brisbane.

If the new owner of Mark's outfit can provide both walk in and a good freight arrangement as I posted earlier, they have the opportunity to clean up in the area. I note that he may be offering free local drop offs as well.
Bribie G, $12 postage per 25kg sack from Country Brewer East Maitland to the Taree area. Just call the store direct to order.

I dropped into MHB this morning and it was closed and the blinds drawn. No answer when I knocked on the front door but the back dock appeared open. I'd definitely call beforehand if you are planning on heading in.

G'day guys.
I have not bothered visiting MHB in recent years. When I visited his former Mayfield strore, it looked like he wasn
t a happy camper. Was not very helpful and appeared to have a chip on his shoulder. Am I right to assume he's picked up his game or are you saying he's out, home and hosed?
Cheers.

I guess the new owner has bought Marks grain mill, that was beautiful bit of equipment.

Batz

Batz said:
I guess the new owner has bought Marks grain mill, that was beautiful bit of equipment.

Batz
What type of mill was it Batz?

Batz said:

Batz
That was Murrays' former mill. I once saw it in action.
Sack of Maris Otter

RRREEEAAAWWWWW (Imagine large tom cat being sawn in half)

Sack of crushed Maris Otter.

It was about the size and shape of one of those big floor-standing photocopiers you see in large offices, with a big grating in the top.

I spoke with Mark this morning. Packing up the shop today. Would have helped him move, but my car has no transmission right now.

Mark offered to sell me his mill, but 'twas a little in excess of my requirements. I thought it was the Bluetongue Brewery grain mill before they expanded.

If it's still going, I'd be interested in buying it. Having mill nightmares at the moment.

Aha, I think the grain handling and forklift were Murrays. Nick that mill would be perfect.

Les, I tried to PM you but your messages are full. Can you delete one please?

Mark is done and dusted.......I was in the store on Thursday and picked up a bunch of hops and he said the business is sold along with the brew builder software. The mill he uses is a commercial grade setup and it cracks the grain like its the ducks nuts. I think Mark needed to call it quits not only for health reasons but it seemed he wasnt a happy camper on most days in general.

I look forward to meeting the new Newcastle grain supplier because the demand is there and Mark had well over 300 registered members for the brew builder program, if the new guy can contact them all and keep up with demand he should be able to make it into something great.

Les the Weizguy said:
I spoke with Mark this morning. Packing up the shop today. Would have helped him move, but my car has no transmission right now.

Mark offered to sell me his mill, but 'twas a little in excess of my requirements. I thought it was the Bluetongue Brewery grain mill before they expanded.
Yes it was the Bluetongue Brewery old mill.
I believe the new shop will be run from the owner place at Raymond Terrace.
Also Mark had no special deal with Fastways, believe me, anyone can ship at those rates, just most choose to add a bit extra for themselves.
I thought of buying his business too. You would get a big client base, Brewbuilder, all the shop equipment and all the pre existing contacts and accounts. All you would need would be a web site, place to operate and some start up cash for stock.
I also believe the fella who bought it is a member on AHB and when it is revealed we will all know who it is.
So he will know how the shop has been run, both good and bad so should be goods he is also going to offer a drop in and pick up on some days I believe.
Loads of mystery

Sometimes people need to move on and making change is a good way to break with the current and now. Good luck to him with everything.

Back