Marks Home Brew confirmed to stay open then sold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have " no general anger" ..

And whats this thing about dissenters...how can those who are getting stuffed around with orders etc and rightly getting very annoyed be dissenters.

My pount to you is, why should anyone need to go thru a third party to get what they ordered..and that goes for any product bought off any retailer.

It doesnt instill much confidence to purchasers does it.

Its not a good advertisment for potential customers.

Thread has been locked for the time being as it is degenerating and has gone off topic. Admin and mods will discuss reopening it.

This thread is being reopened, however please think on the following before posting.

We want feedback on business, both positive and negative.
If you have not had interaction with this business recently, please stay out of it.
If you have a negative experience with the business and want to share it please do so in a civil and respectful manner.
If you have had interaction with the business and are wanting to defend their practices by all means do so, in a civil and respectful manner.

I walked into Marks on Friday and all I saw was some relatively empty shelves, a dirty desk area and someone (i assume mark) sitting out the back on his laptop...

Didnt look up when I walked in, and there wasnt much to 'look' at so I left..

Does he sell anything but grain as there wasnt anything to look at..

No, not these days. And Mark is selling the business, aparently it will be taken over and run as a mail order type operation.

I've still got the two orders paid for from back start of May, MHB if you read this, please refund orders 3562 and 3715 to the bank account listed in the emails.

Dazzbrew said:
No, not these days. And Mark is selling the business, aparently it will be taken over and run as a mail order type operation.
Hopefully brewbuilder is still being used with the new owners.

no pick up at all from the new owners? Will they employ Mark?

Mark, thankyou for all of your advice and guidance and as I mentioned last time I was in store I wish you all the best in whatever the future holds.

We will be informed of the new arrangements a soon as they are finalised. But NO he won't be employing Mark, hence him selling the business, and I am assured we can pick up from the new shop. Brew builder will be sold with the business.

All Australian states and territories are pretty well covered by consumer protection laws these days.

If people have paid for goods or services which haven't been supplied just contact your relevant Consumer Affairs office and they can take steps to sort it out for you.

Was in there yesterday getting some hops, not a lot left. Had a good chat as always. Does anyone know if the new guy will have marks gas bottle refilling station? Hopefully he does and I'll be able to go there for a fill, wherever 'there' is.

Hpal said:
Was in there yesterday getting some hops, not a lot left. Had a good chat as always. Does anyone know if the new guy will have marks gas bottle refilling station? Hopefully he does and I'll be able to go there for a fill, wherever 'there' is.
I understand he was selling the gas side to another party (don't quote me on this as that was info from 3 weeks ago so may have been a change since then)

The Rumour is the new guy is in Raymond Terrace, operating out of his house. Operating a free delivery service around Newcastle.
New website (with new domain) opening soon.
Orders currently being passed onto him via Marks old site.
Hes only just ordered his supplies. So wont be operational for another 2-3 weeks.

Mr Wibble said:
Hmm, any rumours about 2 month old back-orders being passed through to the new owner?
I am fairly sure the new owner is not going to make up orders that have allegedly be payed to the previous owner.

SnakeDoctor said:
I've still got the two orders paid for from back start of May, MHB if you read this, please refund orders 3562 and 3715 to the bank account listed in the emails.
These have been refunded.

Chased up via phone calls and sorted out.

Seems extraordinary that some one would buy a business when he will be operating his business from his home, why not just start up selling from home without having to buy a business.

wide eyed and legless said:
Seems extraordinary that some one would buy a business when he will be operating his business from his home, why not just start up selling from home without having to buy a business.
Suppliers with preexisting credit accounts, website, brew builder (if he gets it), known financials, name (although that may not be worth as much as it was), and that's just quickly off the top of my head.

Its much easier to buy a business than start from scratch assuming you have good people going over the records and the business is viable.

Sounds like he's removing the biggest issue of small business ownership (overhead associated with a brick and mortar store front), which would lead me to guess that there's enough there for it to be a tidy little project if he can hold on to the existing customer base.

One clear advantage would be the arrangement Mark has with Fastway. Many other retailers just don't seem to have got their freight sorted as well as they could have. For example Mark could send me a sack for 10 bucks and I think to Sydney customers as well. Craftbrewer is another example of a retailer who have really got their act together and I can get an order up to 5kg for the same freight as when I lived in SEQ and usually a day quicker.

If the new guy can retain the customer base then Raymond Terrace is a real sweet spot to service a big market.

Bribie G said:
One clear advantage would be the arrangement Mark has with Fastway. Many other retailers just don't seem to have got their freight sorted as well as they could have. For example Mark could send me a sack for 10 bucks and I think to Sydney customers as well. Craftbrewer is another example of a retailer who have really got their act together and I can get an order up to 5kg for the same freight as when I lived in SEQ and usually a day quicker.

If the new guy can retain the customer base then Raymond Terrace is a real sweet spot to service a big market.
Good point, having a preexisting relationship with a reliable courier service is another plus, they are not the easiest companies to deal with if you aren't consigning enough freight.

Back