March Pump 60hz Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yorg

Reaction score
My setup needs more grunt from the pump.
Looking at the performance curves of the 809 March, it is essentially a different pump here in Oz, due to the Hertz difference in the wall.
An similar performing pump here would be the higher specified 815, whereby the 60Hz to 50Hz drop brings it in line with performance of an 809 in the US.
So, I got thinking:
What if I used the 12 volt DC power supply I have and got an inverter (like one of those for running mains voltage from the car battery you can find in any autoshop), but bought it on ebay from the States so that it was 60hz?
Would the 50Hz motor handle going harder - given its designed for hydronic systems, so its duty cycle is essentially 100%?
What wattage rating should the inverter be?
Any other issues you can see?

Attached is the March 809HS manual, for those with the requisite nous to peruse.

View attachment 0809_0053_1100.pdf

Eh, additional hurdle - I can't find a 12 to 240V, just 12 to 110-115 volt.
Obviously you say.
Can I do some sort of in-series thing with two of them, or is that a completely stupid proposition?

You can't run them in series - in theory you could build a voltage doubler (but you will have less current available - plus you need to know what you are doing rememberyour dealing with mains voltage which does not forgive any mistakes you make).

220/240V 60Hz inverters are available - some countries like Philippines 220V and USA 240V have those voltages at 60Hz. Its everywhere in Philippines and USA use them for high current devices (clothes dryers, ovens). There are a couple available on eBay. Note that for a motor you would want a pure sine wave model since AC motors do not like the modified sine wave inverters (has elements of DC current to them)

Hm.
Thanks mate
I reckon those high current inverters would make a new higher specified pump look cheap.

Back