12 Volt Pump Options and Discussion Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Bastard

Brew Cvlt Doom
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of building a new rig out of my old 36 litre Handy Imports pots and Aldi Urn HERMS Rig. I've purchased the components for the control box, which includes a 12v power supply to run the switching current for the relays and controllers to vary the pump speed. The rig is built around 240v March 815 and a couple of Little Browns to handle the HLT recirculation & sparge and the mash recirculation duties. Anyway, one of the LBP's has provided sterling service over 18 months and still runs well, but when I pulled the other out (which has only been run a couple of times) it failed to proceed as they say in railway parlance. This was also after I busted the dovetail mounting tightening one of the fittings by hand, so it's rooted now anyway.

I know March does the 809 in a 12v version, but I do not particularly wish to spend that much loot on a pair of pumps if I do not have to. The design of the system is too far down the track to go back to 3x 240v pumps now, and even if I did go down that route, I'd have to fork out another C note on controllers on top of the cost of the pumps.

I've seen these things that look a lot like an uprated version of these other things that were discussed in an old thread I dug up on the search function.

Anyway. if someone has used any of those pump things linked above, or has any other bright ideas to get me out of forking out for 12v March Pumps, please chime in.

Oh, and before anyone suggests buying 8 LBP's for the landed price of one 12v March 809, believe me I am strongly considering this, but it's not really an elegant solution, is it?

Cheers!

FB

Bump for the arvo crowd and TL:DR version.

What 12v pumps are available and known to be reliable other than the Little Brown and expensive March pumps?

Cheers,

FB

Khellendros13 said:
That's not 12v, and by the time it is posted it's the same price as a March so FB might as well stay with the 12v March.

Staying with 12v and heat rated I don't know of anything in between the brown pump and the March. The one you linked to in the original post looks ok. How hard would it be to convert to 3 x Kaixin pumps? That way it's not as expensive as a March and you still gain a magnetically coupled impeller so you can reduce the flow without loading up the motor.

Kaixin pumps are reportedly good now that they've had production issues ironed out
I've got one, will be giving it a run this sunday

QldKev said:
That's not 12v, and by the time it is posted it's the same price as a March so FB might as well stay with the 12v March.

Staying with 12v and heat rated I don't know of anything in between the brown pump and the March. The one you linked to in the original post looks ok. How hard would it be to convert to 3 x Kaixin pumps? That way it's not as expensive as a March and you still gain a magnetically coupled impeller so you can reduce the flow without loading up the motor.
My bad, missed the 12v thing.

After some pretty thorough research, I nearly pulled the trigger on 2 more 240v controllers today. I'll give myself the weekend to think it over, but it looks like a couple of ultimisers may be on the cards now.
There just does not seem to be much variety of 12v pumps out there, and it's pretty much a choice between a super expensive March pump, or something that isn't much different to a LBP.

if you are thinking LBP, the 24V ones kick arse, my LBP that I use of the HEX has been going about 12 months and hasnt missed a beat..

That said, I have a 809 waiting in the wings for if it does.

the 24V LBS's are great in my experience.

Back