March Mag Drive Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's U$155 plus postage, and yes it's a 240V one (H375)
I got a few other bits and pieces and the postage I was quoted was:
U$59.90 Air mail - 4 to 10 days.
U$30.70 Surface mail - 4 to 6 weeks.

I'm inpatient so I went air mail :p

thanks hoops. That price seems about the same as the price grain and grape charge. I was hoping there might have been a cheaper option.
looks like a gravity system for a bit longer for me.

vlbaby.

ordered a march pump from B3 a week ago last Thursday and arrived last Tuesday. Delivered via airmail with freight cost of US$43.

Came with the base plate, just need to wire the plug

happy days!!

quick bit of internet searching reveals the total cost via air of march pump from usa on tonights money conversion comes in at $279.67.aust
from grain and grape $269.00
hope yours was a bit cheaper hoops.

cheers
big d

big d said:
quick bit of internet searching reveals the total cost via air of march pump from usa on tonights money conversion comes in at $279.67.aust
from grain and grape $269.00
hope yours was a bit cheaper hoops.

cheers
big d
[post="54819"][/post]​
Dave

spoke to the guys at G&G but they have no 240V March pumps (have 110V sent by mistake) and are waiting for a new shipment which he said would be several weeks, so my order came down to :
1. I'm impatient
2. Comes with a base plate
3. I wanted other stuff from B3 :D

I prefer to shop locally/Australian if I can but the time frame was the main problem.
I was very impressed with what I heard from the guys from G&G and will definitely use them in the future.

When looking at US stuff I roughly double the price and that gives a good indication of cost, and that's also what the guy at G&G said - they can get pretty much anything from B3 at around double the price (ie U$5 = AUD$10)

Hoops

I purchased mine from the US, at the time G&G never had them and when you added to couple of taps, disconnects, keg seals etc that I got with the march pump the freight componnent worked out very well.

If you are only buying the pum then yes as BigD says consider the costs but if you are grabbing some more stuff the price works in your favour as far as I can tell.

yeah i got some extra goodies from b3 at the same time, thus making the freight good value. Like Hoops I rang G&G first as I had intended getting it from them, since the price difference was stuff all. However they too confirmed that got given the 110v by mistake.

The importer G&G has used in the past gets the 230v pumps in without base plates, but if G&G get go direct to the US then they do have base plates. As Hoops said they are awaiting a shipment of 10 IIRC from the US, via surface and so will take some weeks. I wasn't prepared to wait.

I will also give a plug to G&G, as the guy was quite helpful. Mentioned he was getting conicals, IIRC.

cheers
roach

Those conicals g & g sell look great but they are very expensive...around $750

$750 isn't too bad for a conical. Ibrew has/had them for $1800 I believe.
When I was speaking to the guys at G&G he said they are looking at getting some conicals manufactured locally so I will watch that space with great interest.

Hoops

I would actually be interested if someone made a plastic conical. You'll still get the same benifits but without the cost.

vlbaby.

Hoops said:
spoke to the guys at G&G but they have no 240V March pumps (have 110V sent by mistake) and are waiting for a new shipment which he said would be several weeks, so my order came down to :
1. I'm impatient
2. Comes with a base plate
3. I wanted other stuff from B3 :D

I prefer to shop locally/Australian if I can but the time frame was the main problem.
I was very impressed with what I heard from the guys from G&G and will definitely use them in the future.
[post="54823"][/post]​
Has anyone tried the Australian distributor, "Process Pumps"? I picked mine up from there for $250 6 months ago.

I checked out the process pumps website. Looks like they offer more than march pumps. Maybe there are other options in magnetic pumps. Is there any particular reason everyone seems to use march pumps. Found another distributer of magnetic pumps. might be worth a try.

iwaki pumps

Does anyone know the part no. for the march pumps 240v version that everyone uses?

vlbaby.

Don't know if its the 'usual' one, but my March pump is # 809 HS-815.

As for plastic conicals:

plastic_conical.gif

Not sure where this pic came from, but they are definitely made. I think they are quite pricey though and need to be handled carefully to avoid scratching etc. Might even be possible to make something yourself if you can find the right funnel

:super:

G & G has conicals on display at the moment, they look very nice but for a price. I had a quick look on ebay (US) they are going for around $350 US but i guess postage would be at least $100. Still worth a look if you in the market for one.

I looked at process pumps when I bought mine. In the end, there was only about $10 difference between them and G&G, so I went with the home brew store to "keep it in the industry". Did get good service from process though when I was checking for prices.

Boots said:
I looked at process pumps when I bought mine. In the end, there was only about $10 difference between them and G&G, so I went with the home brew store to "keep it in the industry". Did get good service from process though when I was checking for prices.
[post="54876"][/post]​
By all means use G&G if you have a choice. But if I had to chose between ordering from the US and buying from process pumps then given the prices quoted here it is a no brainer.

Just bought myself a march 809 HS for $269. I thought i'd give it a test go on some water, so i hooked up some fittings, primed it up and switched it on. Got NOTHING. Just sits there and rattles. Double checked i had the flow direction ok, and it was properly primed, but still nothing.
Needless to say I'll be taking it right back. :angry:

vlbaby

vlbaby

These are a mongrel to prime. Put the inlet water above the pump and let it flow through the pump. Turn the pump on while the water is flowing through the pump.

Cheers
Pedro

vlbaby said:
Just bought myself a march 809 HS for $269. I thought i'd give it a test go on some water, so i hooked up some fittings, primed it up and switched it on. Got NOTHING. Just sits there and rattles. Double checked i had the flow direction ok, and it was properly primed, but still nothing.
Needless to say I'll be taking it right back. :angry:
[post="55998"][/post]​
VL, what Gulf said. I have opened my unit and there is virtually nothing that can go wrong but if there is lots of air in there, it just won't pump. That makes them a bit fiddly in my opinion but you get used to arranging the pipes and heights etc. On the March website they show a couple of pics of how not to set them up.

Do you have a fully flooded suction / inlet into the pump vlbaby?

I have my pump about 250mm below the outlet from my HLT and before I turn the pump on I open the ball valves on both the HLT and the one on the outlet side of the pump to flood the pump and it works perfectly well.

Latest posts

Back