Which March pump head to use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrumpyPaul

Reaction score
I have just set up my rig with my tightarse $15 march pump I picked up at the trash and treasure market

The pump had been sitting in my shed for about 2 years - when it started up it had a bit of a rattle going on.

My pump is working fine now - the rattle seems it was probably just something to do with it sitting idle for a couple of years. It runs nice an quiet now.

When I mentioned the rattling head to Yob he gave me a spare head of an 809 pump he had laying around.

I have done a bit of research and the standard head on the 809 is rated for temps up to 121celcius.
http://www.marchpump.com/809-pl/

My pump is a slightly different model and the pump is only rated for temps up to 87celcius.
http://www.marchpump.com/ac-3cp-md/

My pump is fine unless I want to pump the boiled wort out of the kettle - which isn't necessary for draining into the cube at gravity.

But I did wonder if I could use the pump to whirlpool - which would mean pumping hot wort

So my quandary is:

Swap the head over for one that can pump 121 degree wort at 10l/min so I can whirlpool the lazy way

or

Leave it as is with a head that can pump 87 degree wort at a massive 33l/min and just whirlpool by hand

What do you think

Lazy is better.. more time to stand around with beer in hand just watching...

I like to watch...

...wort I mean.. I like to watch Wort

yeah but 33l/min craps all over your head at 10l/min.

not sure when I would want to pump that fast.....but it sounds impressive

Hope you don't mind GP but here's a little info for anyone interested in getting a faster pump rate from their March 809 ---------

The March 815-PL-C (121 deg c max temp) pumps at 30L/min & the whirlpool in a standard brew in my 70-litre kettle barely ripples the surface at full bore so I would imagine that an extra 3L/min wouldn't make much difference.

The heads on the March 809 series are interchangeable with the heads on the 815's & were available from March last time I checked yonks ago for about US$24 + postage.

Just saying. :)

Latest posts

Back