March Mag Drive Pumps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin said:
But yes, the australian pumps (even the 230V from morebeer) don't come with a mounting plate/bracket.
I got mine from morebeer and it came with a mounting plate attached, from memory they talk about this on the site.

Is that clear hose in these pics just the stuff from bunnings? I am using drinking water hose and I think it reduces my flow due to the smaller ID. Thinking of upgrading to a larger ID hose.

Definately a great pump however.

Morebeer 230V pump Quote:
"Same polysulphone pump housing as our H315, but featuring a 230V motor for customers from Europe, Australia, New Zealand, etc. Does not come with the 6' cord or the built-in base. Has a 3' cord to which you will need to wire the appropriate plug."

The product number is H375 for the 230V one.

Hmmm. I was pretty sure it didn't come with the plate. Maybe they do now. Nice one anyway.

Well, last night I had a break-through while looking at my pump and thinking about how I'm going to mount it and protect it from splashes.

The answer was lying right there in front of me amoungst my brew gear. The 1.7kg cans of extract fit the pump motor housing fantastic and are the perfect length to hold the motor neatly and securely with the pump head hanging out. They fit beautifully as if they were designed to go. I'm going to cut plenty of breather holes in the back and bottom of the can with my angle grinder tonight so that there remains adequate air flow through the motor but it's going to work a treat.

And best of all, everyone has a couple of tins lying around their brewery (well if you tend not to throw them out like me ;) ). I'll drill two holes in the side of the tin to bolt to the frame and plan on having several tins positioned around the frame of my brewery (seeing as it will be modular). The tins are cheap and easy, I have plenty of them so I can afford to place a couple around the frame and then just move the pump to each one as needed (eg. If I wan't to clean up one vessel while still pumping the others). There is just enough clearance for the cord to hang out too.

Just thought I'd recommend to anyone trying to think of a splash cover for their pump to give this a go. Just make sure there are breather holes and all shout be well.

Cheers, Justin

Batz said:
A couple of hydraulic pipe clamps onto stainless sockets does the trick neatly and is very firm

Batz
Hey Batz!
Thanks to you, I've just been spared a weekend of scribbling on notepaper in trying to design my brewery! I have had this idea for a two tiered setup using angle steel, with a pump centrally located, to push the wort and water around.
And just like that, you send this picture that answers a stack of questions that were spinning around in my head! :)

I'll go to school on your brewery (as well as Pumpy's and Dicko's B) ) and I should be able to work out a cunning setup. My constraints are that I only have one three ring burner for the keg kettle and I use an electric HLT and 10 Gal Rubbermaid mashtun, and I cool the wort through a CFC so the pump is looking like it's the more critical aspect of what was initially going to be a gravity fed brew setup.

One last question for the group - does the March pump move around when it's pumping away? Is there vibration risk here if I just sit it on a timber floor panel on brew day - away from the splash zone?

Cheers,
TL

:) my brewery is now probably 5M long.. i'll take some pics at the next trial assembly..

Glad we could help T.L. , I too have an electric HLT , four burner gas ring that I could only use three rings of anyway.
I have up graded to a NASA , you OK for the clamps in the pic I posted , I have a few spare if you want them

Batz

With the March pump you need to provide splash protection but they need very good ventilation as they seem to run reasonably warm. My concern with the can is you may not get efficient enough airflow to maintain the windings at the appropriate working temperature.

Steve

Yeah I was guessing that would be the case. I'm going to have a go with cutting the slots and see how happy I am with the ventilation (I plan on putting a lot in there). I have seen on someones website where the whole pump (bar the head) was contained within a plastic box not much bigger than the pump itself, I'll have to look for the site again, but it seems they got away with it but I agree it's a concern.

Otherwise I might upgrade to a bigger tin like a milo tin or similar, but I do appreciate the warnings. I'm yet to run my pump for a good length of time as I haven't made up my final fittings yet, so I'll see how warm it gets when pumping hot liquids too before I go enclosing it too much.

Cheers, Justin

Just out of interest I noticed that Grain & Grape are now selling these and from the pic it looks to be the one with the mounting plate as per morebeer.

For those aspiring to own a pump :ph34r:

Batz said:
A couple of hydraulic pipe clamps onto stainless sockets does the trick neatly and is very firm

Batz
[post="38386"][/post]​
OK help me out here Batz, what is a hydraulic pipe clamp??
Looking at ordering a March pump on Monday so considering what else I will need.
For those with March pumps what are your recommendations as far as fittings etc?
What else will I need for the RIMS/HERMS setup?

Hoops

Here's how I've done mine:

pumpbox.jpg

The pump is screwed to the plank, which is screwed to the removable plastic stays, so it can easily be removed to clean out the tackle box.

The box catches dribbles when disconnecting hoses and the lid closes over the pump in use to protect it from splashes and while in storage.

I think you can still get the exact same tackle box in K-Mart.

I've just used garden hose connectors - they are cheap and reliable, I've had no problems with them.

Hoops said:
Looking at ordering a March pump on Monday so considering what else I will need.
For those with March pumps what are your recommendations as far as fittings etc?
[post="52287"][/post]​
Hoops, I have been slack, no mounting but I was thinking of fixing the pump via the 1/2 BSP hose connectors.

As for fittings - I use nut and tails that I pillaged from a naked easy hooker. They can be screwed up hand tight and don't leak.

MarchPump.jpg

sosman said:
.......I pillaged from a naked easy hooker. They can be screwed up hand tight and don't leak.
[post="52313"][/post]​
:lol: Damn that sounds dodgy :excl:

Seriously though thanks Sos

Ok, i've got to ask. What exactly is an easy hooker? I've heard the term used here before, but have no idea exactly what bit of kit is is.

jgriffin said:
Ok, i've got to ask. What exactly is an easy hooker?
[post="52327"][/post]​
I wasn't game to ask :ph34r:

About $50 a half hour

or a hose used by plumbers to connect the mains water to you taps has a stainless braid around it which is whats used by brewers as a filter

sintax

:D Well just placed my order for a March pump so hopefully it will get here by the end of the month. :D
Now I just need to concentrate on making a decent brew bench.

Hoops
the happy but now poor brewer.

How much did your march pump cost hoops? is it 240v?

vlbaby.

Latest posts

Back