Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm currently fermenting with the british ale yeast. hydrated and made sure my wort was well oxygenated. still had over 24 hours lag but it's kicking on now. to me it seems they all lag.

Pitched a rehydrated packet of the Belgian ale into 19L of oxygenated 1.064 wort.

Krausen the next morning. Leaving this at ambient, interested to see how it ends up.

tasting a porter now i made with the m07 british ale yeast. superb. really happy with it. fermented at 17C and there is just enough ester there to give the beer some yeast profile, but not overpower it. might even go a touch higher next time. i'll definitely use it again.

super impressed so far with m44 and m07.

M07 is a beast! Pitched half a pack of rehydrated M07 into 5L of 1.098 English Barleywine @ 19-20c. There was tonnes of airlock activity and a light krausen by midnight, and now it is rocketing along.

Lag time? What lag time!

I've just started drinking a batch of AIPA bottled 2 weeks ago.

As I didn't have any liquid yeast on hand when I brewed it, and MHB was in hibernation prior to the ownership transfer, I reluctantly called in to my local HB shop and bought a pack of M44 West Coast Ale.
Didn't realise until I got home it was within weeks of its best before date, and it had been stored at ambient temperature all that time.
I tried to rehydrate it, but it did bugger all. In desperation, I pitched it in any case into an 18 litre batch. It took two days before it showed any action, but then it seemed to slowly chug along. Ultimately it took it from 1.057 to 1.013, which means about 76% apparent attenuation. It seems to be a real top cropper with a thick layer on top of the brew, even after two weeks in the fermenter.
In spite of all its issues, it's produced a really good drinking AIPA. Carbonation is dense and fine. The beer is really clear, the hop flavours and aromas shine, and the yeast in the bottle sticks to the bottom like shite to a blanket.

I'd be happy to use it again, but will make sure I obtain it somewhere where it's up to date and stored properly. It would be great to have some sachets on hand in the fridge as a back up.

warra48 said:
I've just started drinking a batch of AIPA bottled 2 weeks ago.

As I didn't have any liquid yeast on hand when I brewed it, and MHB was in hibernation prior to the ownership transfer, I reluctantly called in to my local HB shop and bought a pack of M44 West Coast Ale.
Didn't realise until I got home it was within weeks of its best before date, and it had been stored at ambient temperature all that time.
I tried to rehydrate it, but it did bugger all. In desperation, I pitched it in any case into an 18 litre batch. It took two days before it showed any action, but then it seemed to slowly chug along. Ultimately it took it from 1.057 to 1.013, which means about 76% apparent attenuation. It seems to be a real top cropper with a thick layer on top of the brew, even after two weeks in the fermenter.
In spite of all its issues, it's produced a really good drinking AIPA. Carbonation is dense and fine. The beer is really clear, the hop flavours and aromas shine, and the yeast in the bottle sticks to the bottom like shite to a blanket.

I'd be happy to use it again, but will make sure I obtain it somewhere where it's up to date and stored properly. It would be great to have some sachets on hand in the fridge as a back up.
Good to hear. I have some of the M44 WC Ale yeast which is near it's BB date. I actually bought a second sachet, thinking I'd have to pitch 2 packs but, hearing your case, I reckon I'll just put my faith in the single sachet.

"...like shite to a blanket." Hahaha. Indeed.

Ive had long lag times no matter whether I pitch directly or rehydrate. One I bought didn't even fire and I had to pitch some coopers yeast due to LHBS being shut. Both times the packets have been well within their use by dates. My wort is always well oxygenated from pouring the cube into the fermenter.
In my opinion the mangrove jacks yeast isn't up to scratch and I wont be using it again.

My best results have so far been with the M10, M27 and M84. Great yeasts.

pist said:
Ive had long lag times no matter whether I pitch directly or rehydrate. One I bought didn't even fire and I had to pitch some coopers yeast due to LHBS being shut. Both times the packets have been well within their use by dates. My wort is always well oxygenated from pouring the cube into the fermenter.
In my opinion the mangrove jacks yeast isn't up to scratch and I wont be using it again.
have you ever tasted a beer with one though? they're amazing. more importantly, how are you determining your yeast "firing"? even though it looks to be lagging, the yeast is likely still in the growth phase. people, myself included, have reported up to three full days with low to no krausen and then things rolling along smoothly. how is your LHBS storing them?

fletcher said:
tasting a porter now i made with the m07 british ale yeast. superb. really happy with it. fermented at 17C and there is just enough ester there to give the beer some yeast profile, but not overpower it. might even go a touch higher next time. i'll definitely use it again.

super impressed so far with m44 and m07.
Used the M07 British ale in a foreign stout and it turned out real well. Maybe just a touch under attenuated but pretty similar to what fletcher describes.

I have an english bitter coming up and am considering the m07 again or the burton union. Any thoughts?

The Village Idiot said:
How quickly did the 07 and the 44 ferment out? Looking for a quick grain to brain keg filler.
sorry mate, didn't see this until now. the 44 slowed a bit and took a good 2 weeks to be done, cold crashed and packaged, but i fermented at 16C which probably played a part. the 07 was done in 7 days, then crashed and packaged. fermented it at 17C. both taste marvelous but didn't smash through the wort super fast.

haven't had a bad experience yet with these yeasts. am going to try the belgian ale in coming weeks in a wit. have people used it at the recommended 26C to 32C?

I'm fermenting with the Belgian at the moment, just at ambient ~22 and it has dropped from 1.065 to 1.006 after 9 days (one rehydrated pack).

Flavour tastes good at the moment, lots of character but still has nice body. I think it will be a great beer after conditioning (but we'll see).

tiprya said:
I'm fermenting with the Belgian at the moment, just at ambient ~22 and it has dropped from 1.065 to 1.006 after 9 days (one rehydrated pack).

Flavour tastes good at the moment, lots of character but still has nice body. I think it will be a great beer after conditioning (but we'll see).
awesome! keep me updated mate. sounds like a winner.

I used the M44 in an American Brown (Janet’s) and it did ok – took a good 2 days to see any action, I was getting a bit anxious but it eventually kicked off with a 1-2cm creamy Krausen and got the 1.066 wort down to 1.016 – about where it was supposed to be. Tastes is a bit yeasty but that probably has more to do with me having dramas sucking up a whole bunch of yeast when racking to the bottling bucket. After a couple of weeks I pitched half the washed yeast from that brew into a 1.5l starter for 3 days and then into a black IPA at around 1.066 as well, it took off overnight and has a monster Krausen almost exploding out of the FV.

I wish I had read this topic first. I put down a APA with US-05 Slurry & a vanilla milk stout yesterday with 1 packet of M07. Got up this morning the APA happily bubbling away but the stout has no action on the surface at all. So in my paranoia, I pitched the Thomas Coppers stout yeast. I hope this does not ruin the beer. Lag times makes me sooooo Paranoid.

Cheers Brad.

A bit of extra feedback.

I've done two beers with M79 (Burton Union) - one a mild/bitter (I brewed a mild, had it judged as an ESB because I thought it was close enough to make it work in a comp setting) and the other a Russian Imperial Stout - made with a repitch of the yeast from the mild/bitter.

Bronze

Gold.

In that order.

So the yeast works well despite the lag (mild) and copes with a repitch really really well (RIS).

fletcher said:
haven't had a bad experience yet with these yeasts. am going to try the belgian ale in coming weeks in a wit. have people used it at the recommended 26C to 32C?
Hey Fletcher.
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds more suited to saisons with the high attenuation.

I think it may chew it out way too much for a wit. You want a bit of body.

jyo said:
Hey Fletcher.
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds more suited to saisons with the high attenuation.

I think it may chew it out way too much for a wit. You want a bit of body.
thanks mate. it's the only yeast i have for that grist 50/50 pils and torr. wheat so i'll put it down anyway. you reckon just mash a bit higher then?

Back