Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a low attenuating yeast. Low attenuating. Low. Attenuating. It's only a "problem" if you didn't realise that before pitching. Expect 66-70% AA. If that isn't enough attenuation, don't use this yeast. Simple.

super_simian said:
It's a low attenuating yeast. Low attenuating. Low. Attenuating. It's only a "problem" if you didn't realise that before pitching. Expect 66-70% AA. If that isn't enough attenuation, don't use this yeast. Simple.
OG = 1050
'FG' = 1022
AA = 56%

I bottled my bochet (burnt honey mead) today which I also fermented over this yeast. Only got it down to 1.014 in the end, which is probably something to do with this yeast's low attenuation character (honey is almost fully fermentable). But it went down from about 1.104, so not too shabby....

TimT said:
I bottled my bochet (burnt honey mead) today which I also fermented over this yeast. Only got it down to 1.014 in the end, which is probably something to do with this yeast's low attenuation character (honey is almost fully fermentable). But it went down from about 1.104, so not too shabby....
I would say that would have more to do with the alcohol tolerance than attenuation give that it would be at ~11.8%.

I would say that would have more to do with the alcohol tolerance than attenuation give that it would be at ~11.8%.

Couple of things came into it too I reckon - though honey is fully fermentable, apparently when you burn it, you get some unfermentable sugars. I made the bochet about two months ago, going into winter, and things just kept getting colder for it. I am really pleased with this one.

beermeupscotty said:
OG = 1050
'FG' = 1022
AA = 56%
Yeah, that's pretty low. Much crystal? And mash temp? My last two milds, both with M03, achieved 68% AA, with under 5% crystal and 66-67C mash temp. To get Windsor that low I had to try 10-15% crystal and 68-69C mash temps. That said, I seem to push the upper limits of attenuation for dry yeast. Great for IPA, but ruins mild. For example, my default Brewmate settings,based on experience are:

Nottingham: 78%
Windsor: 72%
S33: 74% (although S33 always seems to come back to life and over attenuate after a couple of month in the bottle...weird)
S05: 80%
S04: 77%
Coopers (dry): 76%

I haven't used BRY97, or the MJ yeasts enough times for confident AA figures; but like I said, after two brews M03 looks about 68%, for my setup. As the septics say, your mileage may vary. And crystal, mash temp (and to a lesser extent mash time and thickness), simple fermentables, aeration and temp control all have their effects on attenuation.

*My post wasn't meant to be specifically directed at yours BTW.

Apparent attenuation is expressed as %AA in more than a few formulae for determining ABV and real attenuation. But %ADF is less easily confused with alpha acid in this context, so I will use it in future. A good point well made.

super_simian said:
Yeah, that's pretty low. Much crystal? And mash temp? My last two milds, both with M03, achieved 68% AA, with under 5% crystal and 66-67C mash temp. To get Windsor that low I had to try 10-15% crystal and 68-69C mash temps. That said, I seem to push the upper limits of attenuation for dry yeast. Great for IPA, but ruins mild.
That brew was from a kit actually. The craft series 'Nut Brown Ale'.

The top layer of the fermenter actually looked a bit murky and wrong - perhaps an infection or something untoward? (now that I Google-image-search 'brewing infection' - I'm thinking it looks just like an infection - which'd be my first...)

IMG_0476.JPG

First try with M44. Been in the fridge a while but still within best before. Split the pack between two 10l versions of janets brown. rehydrated with about 28 ish degreee water. 36hrs in and no sign of fermentation

Signs of fermentation started at about 48hrs and were in full swing by 60hrs after pitching the m44

With all of these slow starts being reported, has anyone taken a gravity reading during the lag?

Just wondering if something is happening before any visible signs of fermentation.

I've been thinking about this. I pitched a cup of M10 slurry on Monday and this morning there was still nothing visible at all. It just doesn't seem right! Never had problems with handling slurry before.

I will check what's going on again tonight.

I bought the American Ale variety. I havent used a dry yeast in years, anyone know how it compares to say WLP001 / WY1056 / WY1272?

I pitched a cup of M10 slurry on Monday and this morning there was still nothing visible at all.

Warm that baby up. That might do the trick.

When I was having problems with the British Ale yeast lag times I think ensuring the wort was the right temp was an important step in getting a good fermentation.

If you don't have a heat belt, immersion heater, heat pad, or something like that, you could just consider finding the warmest spot in the house (next to the oven or water heater), or similar.

I'm currently immersing some of my brews in larger pots of water for most of the day. Since I work at home I can keep the water temp a fairly constant 21 degrees, and it disperses the heat nicely around the whole fermenter, giving the yeast a good finishing off temp. A similar low tech method may work for you!

i'll be brewing a robust porter soon (english hops and malts) and want to know what people would choose for the yeast. i'm considering the M07 (british) or M03 (UK dark). anyone done a porter with either? any feedback? i'm leaning toward the M07 as it states it attenuates well. thoughts? i don't really want one that stalls at 1.020 either if it can be helped.

I have 2 beers brewed with slurry from an English Bitter. The yeast is Burton Union.
Both are IPAs. One US style and one English.
Both fermented quickly. Both taste as they should, the US bitter and fruity - as per the hop schedule - with some great maltiness, the English one is bitter and beautiful.
No esters, no "Belgian" type flavours as previously described.
Top beers, top yeast.

Mild is great, for such a low OG beer, it were quite malty.

Good strong British esters coming through - plenty of apple & pear but I do get a hint of the Belgian character - just a hint.

I will say it's easily the most flavoursome dry Brit yeast I've used.

And drops dead dead clear and stays there.

Back