Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what its worth i have been using liquid yeasts for the past 5 years or so and recently have fell in love with the ease of dried yeast for certain styles of course. Last night i pitched the m79 in a ESB that i have brewed many times with 1469 and had good success. Will report on results.
I am not worried about this long 'lag time' people have expressed as i am confident with my brewing & sanitation procedure

Mikey said:
For what its worth i have been using liquid yeasts for the past 5 years or so and recently have fell in love with the ease of dried yeast for certain styles of course. Last night i pitched the m79 in a ESB that i have brewed many times with 1469 and had good success. Will report on results.
I am not worried about this long 'lag time' people have expressed as i am confident with my brewing & sanitation procedure
Please do, I have an ESB in the cube that I would also normally 1469 but am tempted to try M70/M10 on it.

CCing an ESB on M70 atm. Was roaring away after 18hours. Fermented at the top end of the recommended range and tastes pretty good so far. Will report.

Forgot to add that the repitched yeast was collected a 600ml coke bottle from the trub, fridged it for a week and poured off the beer and chucked in the yeast and left the separated trub out.

Took off like a rocket.

Can you elaborate FW on the wheat yeast?
What sort of aromas & flavours are you getting (w corresponding FV temp regime)?
Any other particular positives?
Thanks!

Mikey said:
Yep, I was all about the liquid yeasts too but I find them to be such a PITA to prepare and frequently had issues with lag times and not finishing correctly. Glad to have found some dried yeasts that float my boat. I've made ESB's, APA's and a pseudo lager with the workhorse and they've all turned out pretty well, IMHO.

I am loving the way the m44 yeast sticks to the bottom to the bottles, much better than us05

just kegged a 100% weyermann dark wheat which I used M20 in at 20 deg, bloody lovely, tastes legit. a little clove a little banana, a little something else. I used some orange peel & coriander so there is that element added to it as well. I'll push the temp next time to get a bit more banana.

Forgot to add pic ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411542051.983229.jpg

Have a pack of m44 sitting in the fridge, might give it a run with a mountain goat steam ale clone.

Just an update, pitched 2 packs in 45l of 1047og wort at 21c. Took about 24hrs till there was some visible activity. Upped the pressure to 14psi and upped the temp to 23c as i want some esters (and i like playing with my new toys) active fermentation has slowed right down so i would assume it is close to ready. Down side of pressurised ferments is hydro samples are a bugger to take so will take on the weekend

sample.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
just kegged a 100% weyermann dark wheat which I used M20 in at 20 deg, bloody lovely, tastes legit. a little clove a little banana, a little something else. I used some orange peel & coriander so there is that element added to it as well. I'll push the temp next time to get a bit more banana.
Liam_snorkel said:
Also I forgot to add to my post before - I made a 1 litre starter for this the day before pitching. Kicked off instantly and hit FG in 3-4 days.

Yeah yeah I know you're not supposed to make starters with dry yeast but if you want to bypass the lag time that everyone is talking about, there is your solution.

Liam_snorkel said:
Also I forgot to add to my post before - I made a 1 litre starter for this the day before pitching. Kicked off instantly and hit FG in 3-4 days.

Yeah yeah I know you're not supposed to make starters with dry yeast but if you want to bypass the lag time that everyone is talking about, there is your solution.
Yeah I've never quite understood that, I suppose if you made a starter out of it, didn't experience any negatives from it and it performed well. Then who can argue with you?? I'm sure I'm about to experience a mass rage saying this...

if i was going to make a starter i would use liquid yeast. Its just the convenience of being able to brew whenever you like instead of planning up to a week ahead of time to make a starter and decant etc

No "making" of a starter as such, poured 1 litre into flask instead of cube. Pitched next day at high krausen so no decanting.

Liam_snorkel said:
No "making" of a starter as such, poured 1 litre into flask instead of cube. Pitched next day at high krausen so no decanting.
So no lag time as Well?? ....lag time is essential though, please correct me.

Latest posts

Back