Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another to the list of lag time for M79. Pitched some re-hydrated yeast onto a 1040 wort and took between 36-48 hours to kick off.

It now has a good look krausen so no more need to worry. Looking forward to how it turns out.

Lag times? What lag times? After 3.5 hours airlock is making noises already. 2x Burton Union M79 to 1094°.

Mikey said:
Just an update, pitched 2 packs in 45l of 1047og wort at 21c. Took about 24hrs till there was some visible activity. Upped the pressure to 14psi and upped the temp to 23c as i want some esters (and i like playing with my new toys) active fermentation has slowed right down so i would assume it is close to ready. Down side of pressurised ferments is hydro samples are a bugger to take so will take on the weekend
If you haven't already try degassing the sample by tipping it between a couple of glasses a few times and then add it to you Hydro flask (Standard WW practice)

Wobbly

Online Brewing Supplies said:
The Cider yeast is a cracker, you will not be disappointed.
Nev
I used the M44 for a cider the other week. I crashed at 1010 for 2 days, was crystal clear, and has kept it's sweetness profile throughout, then again it only lasted 2 weeks. The other thing was it retained all the fruit flavour, I've have some cider yeasts strip certain flavours. On my way to get some more today.

MB

Ok im not too impressed with m79, as stated earlier the esters thrown are more belgium like than english ale. It does flocculate well and attenuated where i wanted it to. If i were to use m79 again i would probably use it in a belgium blonde as it would suit it well. I cannot say what the esters are like on the lower end of fermentation temperature but probably wont try again to find out.. I may also be biased because i know how nice this beer tastes with 1469 yeast, nutty and apricotty deliciousness.

Next try is M84, i have 4 packs to pitch on 42L of 1.059 wort. Will rehydrate and pitch at 9 deg this evening and ramp to 11 when i see some activity.

It seems that the m44 doesn't like the lower temps that us05 and notto seem to handle. Fortunately it's in a sealed fermenter (keg) so I can see there is some activity but gravity samples reveal that it's not alot of activity.

Blind Dog said:
Hope that tastes as amazing as it looks. Don't suppose you'd care to share the recipe?
On my mobile currently so no specifics, but generally that's how I brew. It usually works out for me.

100% Weyermann's dark wheat (OG mid 1.040's). Slightly lower mash efficiency than usual and heaps of break so be prepared for that. Mashed at 65/60 72/10 then mashed out at low 80's (bag drains easier at that temp). Bittered with something to about 20 IBU. A handful of wai-iti, peel of 1/2 an orange (no pith), & a small amount (maybe 5g) of freshly ground coriander seed in the cube.

Mikey said:
Ok im not too impressed with m79, as stated earlier the esters thrown are more belgium like than english ale. It does flocculate well and attenuated where i wanted it to. If i were to use m79 again i would probably use it in a belgium blonde as it would suit it well. I cannot say what the esters are like on the lower end of fermentation temperature but probably wont try again to find out.. I may also be biased because i know how nice this beer tastes with 1469 yeast, nutty and apricotty deliciousness.

Next try is M84, i have 4 packs to pitch on 42L of 1.059 wort. Will rehydrate and pitch at 9 deg this evening and ramp to 11 when i see some activity.
Have to agree with the Belgian-esc esters. I may try it again but ferment lower than the 21c I chose, to try and keep the esters lower.

Its interesting to see the different results people are getting with these yeasts though

I mentioned the esters in the M79 thread but the other issues regarding clarity and flocculation I din't experience.
I used the M79 in what was an English bitter and although not to style, if I tell myself it is Belgium dark ale it is fine.
I kept the temps down so the esters are quite restrained.
I probably wouldn't use it again though TBH. The M27 though, I love it in a Saison-lite.

BingBangBrewhouse said:
Kegged the lemon peel saison fermented with belgian ale at 26C primary for 10 to 14 days then secondary at 28C for around 3 weeks. Super nice pepper & spice flavours, which went hand in hand with the lemon. I'm making an orange peel one this weekend.
So is this a bit of a saison style yeast? I'm looking at making a belgian strong ale. I'm thinking this might rip through all the fermentables and leave me with something too dry...

anthonyUK said:
I mentioned the esters in the M79 thread but the other issues regarding clarity and flocculation I din't experience.
I used the M79 in what was an English bitter and although not to style, if I tell myself it is Belgium dark ale it is fine.
I kept the temps down so the esters are quite restrained.

keifer33 said:
Have to agree with the Belgian-esc esters. I may try it again but ferment lower than the 21c I chose, to try and keep the esters lower.

Its interesting to see the different results people are getting with these yeasts though
i found it stripped some of the hop flavour too did you find that too?
I have also noticed the esters have settled down quite a lot after a week(ish) in the keg but still very belgium

Pitched M07 into a bitter at 1.038 on Monday evening, nothing 12 hours later but bubbling like mad through the blow off tube after 18. Tonight was already down to 1.012 but bugger all bitterness (calc 30 IBUs) although the flavours are nice - marmelade and there's a little spicy citrus fruit. Will wait to see where it ends up, but not too shabby so far

Does this 'normal' look for M44, it has been fermenting for 2 weeks and is around 1010.

It was a Blonde Lager with 1kg of dry malt, 200g of dextrose and also used some grains. First time using this yeast and grains but didn't expect it to be so thick.

Cheers,
James

20141013_180502.jpg

20141013_180530.jpg

Used the cider yeast for a pear cider and it turned out nicely.

I also enjoyed the Newcastle Brown Ale yeast. I used the British ale and it didn't turn out so great.

Mikey said:
i found it stripped some of the hop flavour too did you find that too?
I have also noticed the esters have settled down quite a lot after a week(ish) in the keg but still very belgium
Mine is settling down ester-wise but it is definitely hanging around.

Giving M10 Workhorse a crack on a DSGA cube, pitched with yeast and cube around 15-17C last night, after work tonight (~18-20hours later) there is a nice thick 1inch Krausen (temp controller set to 22C and it was sitting at 23C so plenty of exothermic heat)... Given the recommended range for an ale of 20-32C, figured would be worth an experimental crack which results in me having a keg, hopefully a tasty one before the weekend after next. Will post back results!

PS. they also state it can be used at low temps for a lager style... interesting yeast that's for sure!

is the M79 anything like 1275? 1275 isn't SUPER-estery but has nice pear and cherry flavours. it attenuates fairly well but really lets the malt come through.

Adr_0 said:
is the M79 anything like 1275? 1275 isn't SUPER-estery but has nice pear and cherry flavours. it attenuates fairly well but really lets the malt come through.
It was super estery to start with but has subdued after 2 weeks in the keg, now that you suggest it (maybe you planted the seed) i can taste a little cherry and cloves definitely no pear

I've brewed a few pale lagers with the MJ lager yeast. So far this yeast has performed excellently. Ferments clean, doesn't throw much sulfur even under pressure, and flocs out without too much hassle. Recommended.

Latest posts

Back