Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dent said:
I've brewed a few pale lagers with the MJ lager yeast. So far this yeast has performed excellently. Ferments clean, doesn't throw much sulfur even under pressure, and flocs out without too much hassle. Recommended.
What temp did you ferment at dent? Are lager yeasts known to throw more sulfur under pressure?

Edit- Getting some proper temp control and more kegs soon so i'm researching lager brewing atm.

I find they do - probably just due to the beer self carbonating so it doesn't get flushed out with CO2 as much as it otherwise might.

I start all my lager ferments cold - typically I refrigerate the wort so that I am pitching at around 4 degrees, preferably with the yeast at that same temperature. I then let it sit at 6 until there is signs of pressure, then I crank it to 14 until it is almost fermented out - making sure to catch the D-rest at 18 ish while there is still a little fermentables remaining.

Non-pressure would be the same but the bulk of the (much longer!) ferment would be at 9.

Mikey said:
Next try is M84, i have 4 packs to pitch on 42L of 1.059 wort. Will rehydrate and pitch at 9 deg this evening and ramp to 11 when i see some activity.
Ok an update on M84, Took FOREVER to start ~6 Days, Gravity went down to 1022 so upped the temp to 16 for a d rest. 3 days at d rest only down to 1020 and no activity. I reckon the yeast has stalled (FFT went down to 1014).
Tastes clean, just a little too sweet. My problem is I kind of want it to be ready for next weekend. I have a stack of 2042 wyeast slurry from a munich helles in the bottom of my other conical I reckon i will just pitch that (after dropping the temp back down to 12) so it will finish up in time. Haven't had the best of luck with these mangrove jacks yeast, and it looks like i am back to making large starters for my lagers.

I started my M84 non rehydrated into a 3L non-stirred flask (haven't gotten around to making a new stirrer). Was only a 1045 ish beer on the first run though.

As i said before if i were to make a starter i might as well use liquid yeasts. I was hopeful but it performs worse than brewcellar generic dried which i have had more success with

edit: i do agree it is nice and clean

Yeah pretty much. Though at least the dry yeast doesn't degrade so quickly in the fridge before you get around to using it.

Mikey said:
As i said before if i were to make a starter i might as well use liquid yeasts. I was hopeful but it performs worse than brewcellar generic dried which i have had more success with

edit: i do agree it is nice and clean
I wouldnt give up on it after the first fail, most have great success with it.
Maybe look at the process and find what may have been the cause, mash temps, ambient temps etc
I have just pitched an wyeast Oktoberfest which was spun up 3 times , still took 48 hours to show signs and that was with pure O2 pumped in.
I was getting worried though. :unsure:

I have a Pacific Ale clone CCing at the moment that used the West Coast Ale yeast (because brew shop ran out of us-05) and taste pretty damn good from the fermentor. It took over a day to get going but once it did, it finished within a week. A nice, light all galaxy ale should be perfect for the warmer weather

hwall95 said:
I have a Pacific Ale clone CCing at the moment that used the West Coast Ale yeast (because brew shop ran out of us-05) and taste pretty damn good from the fermentor. It took over a day to get going but once it did, it finished within a week. A nice, light all galaxy ale should be perfect for the warmer weather
it will be a ripper. in my opinion, m44 is cleaner, sharper and more compact than us-05. i love it.

Loving the m44 at the moment I did an apa double batch and fermented one cube with us05 and the other with m44 just dry pitched and I much prefer the m44 version, it really brings out the spec malts but doesnt take anything from the hops either

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Giving M10 Workhorse a crack on a DSGA cube, pitched with yeast and cube around 15-17C last night, after work tonight (~18-20hours later) there is a nice thick 1inch Krausen (temp controller set to 22C and it was sitting at 23C so plenty of exothermic heat)... Given the recommended range for an ale of 20-32C, figured would be worth an experimental crack which results in me having a keg, hopefully a tasty one before the weekend after next. Will post back results!

PS. they also state it can be used at low temps for a lager style... interesting yeast that's for sure!
So ended up fermenting over 12 days, was very young/green tasting. I think it was Acetyldehyde but yeah quite a prominent green apple tinge through the whole beer, lucky theres a couple pots left in keg so will age it for two weeks and see if it mellows out.

Not too impressed. I didnt see any benefit from using M10 in such circumstances.

The bitter i made with M07 is now on tap. FA bitterness or flavour (calculated 20ibu challenger at 60, 10ibu Styrian in cube). Malt bill was a fairly standard 85% MO, 10% Munich, 5% crystal.

Really bland and boring

Keg hopped with 20g Styrian for 4 days to fix the flavour so it'll be an easy summer quaffer in a week or so.

Doubt I'll use the yeast again though as I want complexity from my English yeasts.

Hoping to get a different result from the M79 pitched into a best bitter...

I've never had a problem using the M07 yeast, I would say of all the MJ yeasts I've used it's most flavoursome actually! And it seems to be a fairly decent attenuator, unlike some other ones (notoriously, the Newcastle Ale yeast).

What flavours do you get from M07 and what temp do you ferment it at?

Keen to find a really nice English dry yeast and have failed so far to find one I really like

Bland and boring ?
How long has it been in the keg ?
What was your mash profile ?
Whats your idea of a really nice English yeast ?
A LOT will depend on your mash profile and your ferment temps and its effect on the yeast.
Nev

A pleasant, mellow sour maltiness I guess you'd describe it as. It throws off beautiful appley smells during fermentation - I know it's considered a fault in the final brew, but I'd love to find a way to preserve them. I just bottled an M07 brew; and aside from all this, it also has a sweet, biscuity, slightly husky aroma - maybe some of the grain tannins? This will probably be much less prominent once it's carbonated and refrigerated, but.

I tell a lie when I say I've never had a problem with it - when I started using MJ yeasts it's true I did; my first two M07 ferments took three days and five days, respectively, to begin fermenting. That's because I was fermenting without any heat source and the yeast just wasn't enthusiastic (it was autumn at the time, so the nights were getting colder). I learned to stop buggerising around with the yeast, made sure to rehydrate in water at the right temp (about 25 degrees), and placed the brew straight on the heat pad. Not sure what temp the heat pad is, but I'm guessing 20 degrees. I forgot about those little incidents.... however, in spite of the fact it took them a while to get going, the final brews tasted delicious.

I particularly like the British Ale yeast partly because it shines on its own, and a lot of my brews these days don't actually have hops, they have some other form of spice/flavour. So the gentle yeast flavours and gentle herb flavours go well together.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Bland and boring ?
How long has it been in the keg ?
What was your mash profile ?
Whats your idea of a really nice English yeast ?
A LOT will depend on your mash profile and your ferment temps and its effect on the yeast.
Nev
Sorry this was for @Blind dog.

used the M27 belgian ale yeast in a belgian wit. not my first choice of yeast but the only one i could use, and results for me are that it has to be a saison yeast. single infusion mash of 66C and it ripped it apart. got down to 1.004 before i crash chilled it to stop it. stupidly put another in a bottle and of course it gushed. i think it would have gone down to at least 1.000. they say to ferment at 26-32C and mine still chowed into it at 25C.

wasn't overly impressed. has some lovely belgian characteristics, and is quite peppery and phenolic, but stripped all the body from my wit. i like it to be at least around the 1.006,7,8ish mark. in any case, not a BAD yeast, just a saison strain i'm certain.

fletcher said:
used the M27 belgian ale yeast in a belgian wit. not my first choice of yeast but the only one i could use, and results for me are that it has to be a saison yeast. single infusion mash of 66C and it ripped it apart. got down to 1.004 before i crash chilled it to stop it. stupidly put another in a bottle and of course it gushed. i think it would have gone down to at least 1.000. they say to ferment at 26-32C and mine still chowed into it at 25C.

wasn't overly impressed. has some lovely belgian characteristics, and is quite peppery and phenolic, but stripped all the body from my wit. i like it to be at least around the 1.006,7,8ish mark. in any case, not a BAD yeast, just a saison strain i'm certain.
edit: i should say that the bulk of it is in the keg and tasting quite nice, just would have stopped it shorter by another few points for a fuller body, but apart from that, anyone using the yeast should consider mashing a LOT higher (if they don't like bone dry beers), or using it in a belgian saison! :)

Online Brewing Supplies said:
Sorry this was for @Blind dog.
Was my standard bitter base - 85% MO, 10% Munich, 5% crystal challenger early and Styrian holdings in cube for 30ibu

Mash at 67C for 45 min, 72C for 30 and 78C mash out. Small sparge

Fermented in fridge at 19 ambient. Kegged 5 days after getting to FG

Tasted a week later and decided to keg hop as there was bugger all flavour or bitterness

Current Favourite English yeast is Bedford

I brew bitters a lot so hopefully have a decent grasp of what I'm after. Based on Tim Ts post above I'll be giving it another shot as that sounds damn nice

Was in the keg for a week

Back