Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by sp0rk, 5/4/13.

1. fletcher

bibo ergo sum

Home Page:
    Posted 19/11/14
    what are the reports on the bavarian wheat strain? i'm thinking of bashing up a quick german wheat for christmas cos my old 3068 culture stunk of vinegar when it was opened and i didn't want to risk it. any temps recommended for it, etc?

2. jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.

Home Page:
    Posted 19/11/14
    I've made 3 weizens with it and had good results at 17-18'. It doesn't throw a heap of banana, more a subtle balance of banana and clove at those temps. I really like it. Would like to try it up around 24' to see how it goes.

1 person likes this.
  3. TimT

Home Page:
    Posted 1/12/14
    Got a MJ Newcastle Ale porter fermenting away at the moment. About a week ago I'd pitched the wort on top of the yeast cake for a previous Newcastle Ale ferment I'd done - my fennel and dandelion altbier. ,

I'd always been meaning to do a medium gravity beer at first on this yeast before pitching a higher gravity beer second time round - the low-attenuating character of this yeast meant that it would have to get a little exercise before it set to work on a higher gravity beer. Still, I wasn't expecting that my beer would come out at around 1.084 gravity (long story - basically I made larger portions than usual because I wanted to use some of the wort elsewhere, but then had to boil down the remainder to my usual quantities) - or that the yeast would at first not ferment at all! First day, nothing. Second day, bugger all. Third day, a bubble or two lingering on the surface. Fourth day, same. It only really started a langorous ferment on the morning of the fifth day...

I gave it a bit of honey/water solution to encourage it on its way once it was clear the ferment was underway. By the evening it seemed to have reached peak ferment. Now it's the morning after and I'm pleased that it still seems to be in the middle of peak ferment - my usual experience with this yeast is that it goes to peak ferment pretty quickly and then stops pretty dramatically shortly after that. This morning it still seems to be churning its way through all of those malt and honey sugars.

When it's slowed down a bit I'm going to give it another hit of honey-water - to encourage and reward the remaining, high-alcohol tolerant yeast cells, and to hopefully get a bit of the floral aromas from the honey that might be missed out otherwise. And again a day or so after that.

4. Edak

BrauShnizzleMyNizzle

Posted 16/12/14
    In the last few days I pitched a m44 on a white ale and two packs of m79 on an ESB (possible over pitch there as my OG missed the mark significantly for some reason) so we will see how they turn out.

5. Byran

Environmental Consultant
    Posted 16/12/14
    I just kegged a beer I made with the british strain fermented at 15 deg. Got to my target fg and has a super clean smooth english type ester but nice and subtle at those temps. Love it

1 person likes this.
  6. fletcher

bibo ergo sum

Home Page:
    Posted 17/12/14
    just tasting the wheat i made using this yeast, and i'll say i wasn't impressed from earlier tastings (1-2 weeks in keg), but holy shitballs has it come good now (~3 weeks).

really impressed with it. jyo you're spot on with the flavour characteristics; a very subtle banana and clove combination which lets the tartness of the wheat finish off the taste. not dominating, but a noticeable banana from the aroma too. this was fermented at 19C and i agree and will look to use this up around 22-24 next time for experiment's sake.

so far i've used m44 (american ipa), m07 (robust porter), m20 (bavarian wheat), m27 (belgian wit) and i'll happy say they make excellent additions to beers. the belgian ale yeast is 100% a saison yeast so that was the only one i'd reconsider a different recipe for. it didn't suit the belgian wit (came out nice, but was way too dry).

2 people like this.
  7. Liam_snorkel

كافر

Posted 17/12/14
    sorry for the late reply folks - this beer turned out an absolute cracker. finished out at 1.002, but wasn't bone-dry. Heaps of flavour too, could easily pass as a commercial saison and punched above it's weight for a 3.9% ABV beer. Just pitched some slurry into another one with the same grain bill but different hop combo.

initial recipe here:

Ahtanum Session Saison

Original Gravity (OG): 1.032 (°P): 8.0
    Final Gravity (FG): 1.002 (°P): 0.5
    Alcohol (ABV): 3.90 %
    Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.8
    Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

66.67% Golden Promise Malt
    33.33% Wheat Malt, Dark

3.9 g/L Ahtanum (4.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes.
    ramp 15 Minutes
    Rest at 72°C for 10 Minutes
    ramp 10 Minutes
    Bag out at 78°C

Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 25-30°C? with MJ M27

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

1 person likes this.
  8. Liam_snorkel

كافر

Posted 17/12/14
    And here's a pic of the first pour from the keg (22nd Nov)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418857145.488793.jpg

4 people like this.
  9. Crusty

The Electric Brewery

Mobile Coffee Van / Owner Operator
    Posted 17/12/14
    Nice drop Liam.
    Where can I get me some of those glasses?

10. Kumamoto_Ken

Posted 17/12/14
    That recipe looks great, I'll try similar in the New Year. What's the new hop combo?

11. Liam_snorkel

كافر

Posted 17/12/14
    a mate picked some up from the Belgian beer cafe (Brisbane) when it closed down, it was a lucky score.

12. Liam_snorkel

كافر

Posted 17/12/14
    new hop combo is one of those "cleaning out the freezer" combos.. so I'll be reserving judgement until I taste it, haha. Styrian goldings at 30, some galaxy & AU cascade (both flowers) in the cube.

1 person likes this.
  13. mckenry

Brummagem

Posted 4/1/15
    I just used M44 US Ale yeast yesterday for the first time. Havent used dry yeast in years. Still nothing going on 24 hours later. Went reading and found all these posts. Bugger. I hope itll be ok anyway. Not a fan of long lag times and like Batz ill be back to liquid.

1 person likes this.
  14. Dunkelbrau

Posted 4/1/15
    Just kegged a big beer I fermented with M10 (1.105 down to 1.020). Very happy, I rehydrated 2 packets and gave a good dose of oxygen. Had around 7L of krausen within 12 hours.

Gave it a couple of weeks on the cake to clean up, tasted good from the sample tube (cloudy as mud). And will see how it is in a few weeks once it clears in the keg.

15. iambj

Posted 4/1/15
    You used oxygen and are happy with a 12 hour lag time? Try liquid yeasts, and your brew will be clear as well.

1 person likes this.
  16. jyo

No Chillin' Like a Villain.

Home Page:
    Posted 4/1/15
    Don't stress mate, it'll be fine. It's a great yeast, better than US05 IMO.

2 people like this.
  17. Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery

Driver Educator
    Posted 4/1/15
    Use it frequently, a great yeast, rehydrate as per instructions and use at the rate of 1g/l and it will be away at 12hrs.

Screwy

1 person likes this.
  18. Dunkelbrau

Posted 4/1/15
    Okay so firstly, I said within 12 hours, I don't sit and watch my fermenter with the fridge door open all day.

Second, I never said pure oxygen, there is oxygen in air, and I add oxygen with a sterile filter and pump.

Third, growth phase ("lag") is perfectly normal, I expect some growth in my yeast. In fact I want it.

Pitching rates expect growth in the beer, if you have no growth, you have minimal yeast flavour contribution. I personally pick my yeast strains (yes, both liquid and dry) based on what I want in the brew and pitch according to what growth rate I want.

Fourth, flocculation. Different strains have different levels of flocculation, I've had liquid yeasts that sit at 1 degree for 2 weeks and are still very cloudy. Its not a liquid vs dry thing.

I'm also aging the beer, so its got plenty of time to clear.

19. iambj

Posted 4/1/15
    Well perhaps I should apologize then.

But I won't, dried yeast is for lazy brewers or new brewers. I often hear other brewers who is so careful about there brews, then use a sub standard yeast.

20. Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery

Driver Educator
    Posted 4/1/15
    I concur........... You aerated not oxygenated, a good idea as a google search will indicate that oxygen is not as important when using dried yeast. Experiments I carried out years ago indicated this was of nil or negative gain. Good to see you are using yeast strain, pitching rate and fermentation management to achieve the desired outcome as far as flavour/esters, character and clarity etc.

Brew Well and Cheers,

Screwy