Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what are the reports on the bavarian wheat strain? i'm thinking of bashing up a quick german wheat for christmas cos my old 3068 culture stunk of vinegar when it was opened and i didn't want to risk it. any temps recommended for it, etc?

I've made 3 weizens with it and had good results at 17-18'. It doesn't throw a heap of banana, more a subtle balance of banana and clove at those temps. I really like it. Would like to try it up around 24' to see how it goes.

Got a MJ Newcastle Ale porter fermenting away at the moment. About a week ago I'd pitched the wort on top of the yeast cake for a previous Newcastle Ale ferment I'd done - my fennel and dandelion altbier. ,

I'd always been meaning to do a medium gravity beer at first on this yeast before pitching a higher gravity beer second time round - the low-attenuating character of this yeast meant that it would have to get a little exercise before it set to work on a higher gravity beer. Still, I wasn't expecting that my beer would come out at around 1.084 gravity (long story - basically I made larger portions than usual because I wanted to use some of the wort elsewhere, but then had to boil down the remainder to my usual quantities) - or that the yeast would at first not ferment at all! First day, nothing. Second day, bugger all. Third day, a bubble or two lingering on the surface. Fourth day, same. It only really started a langorous ferment on the morning of the fifth day...

I gave it a bit of honey/water solution to encourage it on its way once it was clear the ferment was underway. By the evening it seemed to have reached peak ferment. Now it's the morning after and I'm pleased that it still seems to be in the middle of peak ferment - my usual experience with this yeast is that it goes to peak ferment pretty quickly and then stops pretty dramatically shortly after that. This morning it still seems to be churning its way through all of those malt and honey sugars.

When it's slowed down a bit I'm going to give it another hit of honey-water - to encourage and reward the remaining, high-alcohol tolerant yeast cells, and to hopefully get a bit of the floral aromas from the honey that might be missed out otherwise. And again a day or so after that.

In the last few days I pitched a m44 on a white ale and two packs of m79 on an ESB (possible over pitch there as my OG missed the mark significantly for some reason) so we will see how they turn out.

I just kegged a beer I made with the british strain fermented at 15 deg. Got to my target fg and has a super clean smooth english type ester but nice and subtle at those temps. Love it

jyo said:
I've made 3 weizens with it and had good results at 17-18'. It doesn't throw a heap of banana, more a subtle balance of banana and clove at those temps. I really like it. Would like to try it up around 24' to see how it goes.
just tasting the wheat i made using this yeast, and i'll say i wasn't impressed from earlier tastings (1-2 weeks in keg), but holy shitballs has it come good now (~3 weeks).

really impressed with it. jyo you're spot on with the flavour characteristics; a very subtle banana and clove combination which lets the tartness of the wheat finish off the taste. not dominating, but a noticeable banana from the aroma too. this was fermented at 19C and i agree and will look to use this up around 22-24 next time for experiment's sake.

so far i've used m44 (american ipa), m07 (robust porter), m20 (bavarian wheat), m27 (belgian wit) and i'll happy say they make excellent additions to beers. the belgian ale yeast is 100% a saison yeast so that was the only one i'd reconsider a different recipe for. it didn't suit the belgian wit (came out nice, but was way too dry).

Liam_snorkel said:
Has anyone here pushed M27 belgian ale to high temps?

I just pitched it onto a low OG (1032) saison at brisbane ambient to see what happens. Got a heat wave on the way this weekend and won't be home to open the house up - so it'll be cooking in the 30's hehe.

Will report back with results.

anthonyUK said:
M27 is going to attenuate quite high at those temps. I would imagine with a low OG is going to end up pretty thin but I look forward to hearing how it turns out for you.

Liam_snorkel said:
Yep that's what I was going for - something really dry but flavoursome. I hope the esters play well with ahtanum! (Beer is 100% ahtanum cube hopped). If it turns out shit I won't be too upset.

fletcher said:
i think it's a saison yeast mate. my belgian ale yeast RIPPED through a 1.042 belgian wit and got it to about 1.002 (mashed at 66). i don't mind it, it actually improved a bit with age. i think it'll be fine at those temps. mine was at about 25C. just tastes classic belgian to me.

Liam_snorkel said:
excellent. I mashed for full body to give it something to chew on, but still hoping it will dry right out (reading this thread suggests it will)
sorry for the late reply folks - this beer turned out an absolute cracker. finished out at 1.002, but wasn't bone-dry. Heaps of flavour too, could easily pass as a commercial saison and punched above it's weight for a 3.9% ABV beer. Just pitched some slurry into another one with the same grain bill but different hop combo.

initial recipe here:

Ahtanum Session Saison

Original Gravity (OG): 1.032 (°P): 8.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.002 (°P): 0.5
Alcohol (ABV): 3.90 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.8
Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)

66.67% Golden Promise Malt
33.33% Wheat Malt, Dark

3.9 g/L Ahtanum (4.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes.
ramp 15 Minutes
Rest at 72°C for 10 Minutes
ramp 10 Minutes
Bag out at 78°C

Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 25-30°C? with MJ M27

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

And here's a pic of the first pour from the keg (22nd Nov)

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418857145.488793.jpg

Liam_snorkel said:
sorry for the late reply folks - this beer turned out an absolute cracker. finished out at 1.002, but wasn't bone-dry. Heaps of flavour too, could easily pass as a commercial saison and punched above it's weight for a 3.9% ABV beer. Just pitched some slurry into another one with the same grain bill but different hop combo.

initial recipe here:

Ahtanum Session Saison
That recipe looks great, I'll try similar in the New Year. What's the new hop combo?

a mate picked some up from the Belgian beer cafe (Brisbane) when it closed down, it was a lucky score.

Kumamoto_Ken said:
That recipe looks great, I'll try similar in the New Year. What's the new hop combo?
new hop combo is one of those "cleaning out the freezer" combos.. so I'll be reserving judgement until I taste it, haha. Styrian goldings at 30, some galaxy & AU cascade (both flowers) in the cube.

Batz said:
I've used a few of Mangrove Jack's yeasts now, I hate long lag times and that is what I had with them all. Personal opinion here but I'm unimpressed with them, back to liquid yeasts for me.

I still have the belgian ale which I believe is one the best of the range, but I doubt I ever use it now.

Batz
I just used M44 US Ale yeast yesterday for the first time. Havent used dry yeast in years. Still nothing going on 24 hours later. Went reading and found all these posts. Bugger. I hope itll be ok anyway. Not a fan of long lag times and like Batz ill be back to liquid.

Just kegged a big beer I fermented with M10 (1.105 down to 1.020). Very happy, I rehydrated 2 packets and gave a good dose of oxygen. Had around 7L of krausen within 12 hours.

Gave it a couple of weeks on the cake to clean up, tasted good from the sample tube (cloudy as mud). And will see how it is in a few weeks once it clears in the keg.

Dunkelbrau said:
Just kegged a big beer I fermented with M10 (1.105 down to 1.020). Very happy, I rehydrated 2 packets and gave a good dose of oxygen. Had around 7L of krausen within 12 hours.

Gave it a couple of weeks on the cake to clean up, tasted good from the sample tube (cloudy as mud). And will see how it is in a few weeks once it clears in the keg.
You used oxygen and are happy with a 12 hour lag time? Try liquid yeasts, and your brew will be clear as well.

mckenry said:
I just used M44 US Ale yeast yesterday for the first time. Havent used dry yeast in years. Still nothing going on 24 hours later. Went reading and found all these posts. Bugger. I hope itll be ok anyway. Not a fan of long lag times and like Batz ill be back to liquid.
Don't stress mate, it'll be fine. It's a great yeast, better than US05 IMO.

jyo said:
Don't stress mate, it'll be fine. It's a great yeast, better than US05 IMO.
Use it frequently, a great yeast, rehydrate as per instructions and use at the rate of 1g/l and it will be away at 12hrs.

Screwy

iambj said:
You used oxygen and are happy with a 12 hour lag time? Try liquid yeasts, and your brew will be clear as well.
Okay so firstly, I said within 12 hours, I don't sit and watch my fermenter with the fridge door open all day.

Second, I never said pure oxygen, there is oxygen in air, and I add oxygen with a sterile filter and pump.

Third, growth phase ("lag") is perfectly normal, I expect some growth in my yeast. In fact I want it.

Pitching rates expect growth in the beer, if you have no growth, you have minimal yeast flavour contribution. I personally pick my yeast strains (yes, both liquid and dry) based on what I want in the brew and pitch according to what growth rate I want.

Fourth, flocculation. Different strains have different levels of flocculation, I've had liquid yeasts that sit at 1 degree for 2 weeks and are still very cloudy. Its not a liquid vs dry thing.

I'm also aging the beer, so its got plenty of time to clear.

Dunkelbrau said:
Okay so firstly, I said within 12 hours, I don't sit and watch my fermenter with the fridge door open all day.

Second, I never said pure oxygen, there is oxygen in air, and I add oxygen with a sterile filter and pump.

Third, growth phase ("lag") is perfectly normal, I expect some growth in my yeast. In fact I want it.

Pitching rates expect growth in the beer, if you have no growth, you have minimal yeast flavour contribution. I personally pick my yeast strains (yes, both liquid and dry) based on what I want in the brew and pitch according to what growth rate I want.

Fourth, flocculation. Different strains have different levels of flocculation, I've had liquid yeasts that sit at 1 degree for 2 weeks and are still very cloudy. Its not a liquid vs dry thing.

Well perhaps I should apologize then.

But I won't, dried yeast is for lazy brewers or new brewers. I often hear other brewers who is so careful about there brews, then use a sub standard yeast.

Dunkelbrau said:

I concur........... You aerated not oxygenated, a good idea as a google search will indicate that oxygen is not as important when using dried yeast. Experiments I carried out years ago indicated this was of nil or negative gain. Good to see you are using yeast strain, pitching rate and fermentation management to achieve the desired outcome as far as flavour/esters, character and clarity etc.

Brew Well and Cheers,

Screwy

Latest posts

Back