Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
Drinking it now, esters are quite pronounced, a little too much for my liking.

If I were to use a dried yeast for this beer (ESB) I think Nottingham brewed cooler would be better. I should have used my old favourite Wyeast 1318. I won't be using MJ Burton again.

Batz
Dissapointing to hear. What temp did you ferment at?

JasonP said:
Dissapointing to hear. What temp did you ferment at?
19c, hey it's quite drinkable but just not what I was after. Best if you try it yourself, I've heard the West Coast is good and I have some of that but I'm just a little put off ATM, so I'm not keen to try that either.

Batz

Batz said:
19c, hey it's quite drinkable but just not what I was after. Best if you try it yourself, I've heard the West Coast is good and I have some of that but I'm just a little put off ATM, so I'm not keen to try that either.

Batz
I've got the Burton ale and Newcastle dark in the fridge. Just havent had chance to brew for a while. Should get chance soon. Plannong on a best bitter with the Burton and maybe an old ale with the Newcastle.

Have done an ESB and Traditional Bitter with the Burton. In Both cases it ended up with a very clear result and esters were fairly low key. Fermented at 18 deg C.

Oxygen used on the ESB, not the Traditional Bitter. Must say though, both of those brews had reasonable late additions of hops (not huge), so that may have masked some of the esters.

Martin

Ok then.

I'll chuck a tea ball of EKG in the keg and see what happens. EKG goes really well as keg dry hopped BTW.

I'm interested in hearing about what the Wheat beer yeast does as far as esters and ferment, I'm brewing a hefe for my clubs Christmas party and was going to go with a liquid yeast but I might try the MJ dry yeast if it's any good.

Cheers for the info guys. I find the liquid burton strains throw esters, though I haven't been able to work out hot to control them. When they behave the results are absolutely fantastic, but when they don't they can be a bit overwhelming I've found. Some mixed reviews on the burton but I'll give it a go.

HBHB said:
Have done an ESB and Traditional Bitter with the Burton. In Both cases it ended up with a very clear result and esters were fairly low key. Fermented at 18 deg C.

Oxygen used on the ESB, not the Traditional Bitter. Must say though, both of those brews had reasonable late additions of hops (not huge), so that may have masked some of the esters.

Martin
Did you use one pack for both?. Maybe 2 packs would keep the esters down?. I under pitched a liquid burton to really push the esters and jebus they were unbearable haha. Maybe 2 packs would keep them a little more under control.

In the ESB, I used O2 and rehydrated because I ran short of time and didn't have a second pack at home, otherwise at 1.060, I would have double pitched. It ended up with an FG of 1.016 silky smooth with a slight pear note, barely discernible over the 25g EKG at 5 Minutes - Notes show brilliant clarity ? from using 6grams PolyclarVT.

The Standard Bitter I used a single pack, rehydrated and pitched. Again, very slight pear and some other slight fruitiness. I used a hint (15g) of Challenger, which was pleasant. Finished at 1.010. also a nice clear beer. Used 1 Whirlfloc.

Neither of these were real greyhounds, but rather ramped up at 24 hrs to a solid krausen and were pretty much done at around day 6/7.

10g isn't a lot of yeast. It's enough for the majority of beers, but rehydrating IMHO does help, but to attempt to quantify it isn't really possible, other than to say the esters aren't that dominant.

Hope this all makes sense.

Martin

Thanks Martin, the biggest beer will be the brown, and at 1.045 or so isn't going to be "big" so one should do. I always rehydrate dry yeast.

B.C. said:
Still waiting for my starter from this thread
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/75963-partial-ipa/

to kick off. Not terribly impressed with the m44 yeast so far. :angry: I'll give it another day then maybe try pitching another packet.
I brewed an APA on Saturday OG of 1.047....pitched a rehydrated pack of m44 into it (first time using this yeast). It was a little slow to kick off about 36hrs I would think. Checked gravity today and its only down to 1.029...which seems slow (18 points in 5 days). Still has a way to go...big sticky krausen ring on walls of FV however.

Salt said:
I brewed an APA on Saturday OG of 1.047....pitched a rehydrated pack of m44 into it (first time using this yeast). It was a little slow to kick off about 36hrs I would think. Checked gravity today and its only down to 1.029...which seems slow (18 points in 5 days). Still has a way to go...big sticky krausen ring on walls of FV however.
Hi Salt,

Just wondering what temp you pitched at and what temp your fermenting at? Also, did you re-hydrate the yeast or possibly oxygenate the wort prior to picthing?

I've just pitched M20 in a hefeweizen. Once it gets going I'll report back in a new thread, but even my rehydration jug was giving off the right aromas - so fingers crossed.

I was thinking that for the sake of a better AHB resource, each yeast should probably have its own thread, rather than combining all eight new strains in one.

I used the Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast yeast in Warras IPA. Have done this recipe 4 other times, usually using US05.
Pitched 2 rehydrated packets into a 1.073 wort and gave it 60 secs of O2. When I rehydrate US05 it puffs and creams up beautifully, the M44 didn't. Maybe I needed to give it more time than I do with the US05.
It took over 30 hours before there was any visible signs of action. It then formed a 50 mm krausen over the next 12 hours and didn't get much bigger. Ferment temperature was held at 19C.
After a week it was at a gravity of 1.028. When using 1 packet of US05 it would just about be at final gravity ( approx. 1.014). I increased the temperature to 21C.
after another 5 days it was at 1.014, which is an attenuation of about 81%, much the same as US05 (for me).
Kegged it and pressured it up over the next week.
Now after another 2 weeks I am drinking it and I think its the best AIPA I have done. The hops come through nice and clean, nice malt sweetness and plenty of aroma (was dry hopped in the fermenter in the second week of fermentation with Centennial) and seems quite dry but not over dry.
Overall, I am very happy with this yeast and will definitely use again.
The next pommy ale I do I am going to use the Burton Union yeast.

billygoat said:
I used the Mangrove Jacks M44 West Coast yeast in Warras IPA. Have done this recipe 4 other times, usually using US05.
Pitched 2 rehydrated packets into a 1.073 wort and gave it 60 secs of O2. When I rehydrate US05 it puffs and creams up beautifully, the M44 didn't. Maybe I needed to give it more time than I do with the US05.
It took over 30 hours before there was any visible signs of action. It then formed a 50 mm krausen over the next 12 hours and didn't get much bigger. Ferment temperature was held at 19C.
After a week it was at a gravity of 1.028. When using 1 packet of US05 it would just about be at final gravity ( approx. 1.014). I increased the temperature to 21C.
after another 5 days it was at 1.014, which is an attenuation of about 81%, much the same as US05 (for me).
Kegged it and pressured it up over the next week.
Now after another 2 weeks I am drinking it and I think its the best AIPA I have done. The hops come through nice and clean, nice malt sweetness and plenty of aroma (was dry hopped in the fermenter in the second week of fermentation with Centennial) and seems quite dry but not over dry.
Overall, I am very happy with this yeast and will definitely use again.
The next pommy ale I do I am going to use the Burton Union yeast.
Funny, I just bottled a beer using the same yeast. I was thoroughly impressed with the yeast cake on the bottom of the fermenter, had to get in there and scrape it off with my fingers, swirling the fermenter with a little water didn't cut it. Didn't like the first packet I pitched didn't go though, second one took off pretty well though. Krausen in under 9 hours.

Curious if anyone has tried the workhorse at high temptresses yet?

I've used it in a Lager pitched at 24 and fermented at 26 just to see how it went at the higher temps. Gives a very clean flavour with no off aromas, fermented dry and crisp. Surprisingly good results at such a high temp, great if you have no temp control.

The only downside to this yeast is it takes ages to floc out, minimum of two weeks +.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My ESB using Burton Union was chucked, long, long time since I've done that. Esters where unbearable for my tastes.
I'll never go near it again.

Batz

Latest posts

Back