Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mkj said:
Both batches I've brewed with Burton Union have taken a pretty long time for the yeast to clear - anyone else found that?
Did one with this yeast, was pretty cloudy until the last few pours from the keg. Better Red Than Dead recipe.

mkj said:
Both batches I've brewed with Burton Union have taken a pretty long time for the yeast to clear - anyone else found that?
Got an ESB going at the mo with MJBU. Report in a week as to how it floc's

What flavours/esters did you get from it - lots or clean?

made an esb with the m07 (which i LOVED in a porter i made) and it really didn't shine as i would have liked it to. i fermented it higher, about 21C, whereas the porter i fermented at 17C. i've read it can get a lot lower also but don't really see the point. was hoping for more yeasty esters

technobabble66 said:

Lots, would have preferred a bit less. Most recent (brewed 26 Jan bottled 7 Feb) is quite strong, I think probably diacetyl plus some other stuff.

The earlier batch from mid-December is now drinking nicely, has smoothed out a bit of the harshness it had - I was blaming that on too much Caramunich II, though perhaps it wasn't that. When I first tasted it had some definite bandaid flavour (which I've never got before, being a textbook description), all gone now. The second batch might come good - I thought it would be an improvement, the first batch I forgot about aeration with no chill etc.

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC)
1.00 kg Munich (BestMälz) (15.0 EBC)
0.40 kg Caramunich II (Weyermann) (124.1 EBC)
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5
20 g Target [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min
50 g Fuggles [4.98 %] - Boil 20.0 min
15 g Challenger [8.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min
1.0 pkg Burton Union Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M79

23L, OG ~1051, FG 1013
65º mash, fermented 20º raising to 22º.

Going to brew with the Belgian Ale this week.

TheWiggman said:
...(banter omitted)...

23l 80% eff, no-chill

4.10 kg JW pilsner
0.21 kg KW light crystal
0.10 kg acidulated
5g calcium chloride

22g Pride of Ringwood pellets 9% FWH
25g Cluster flowers 5.3% (2011 crop) at whirlpool

55 - 66 - 72 - 78 mash steps.

IBU 25-odd, 4.6% ABV assuming OG 1.045 and FG 1.011

I wanted the classic PoR boldness and Cluster hit. I pulled a few of the flowers out after inhaling some pretty assertive earthy Cluster aroma, for fear of overpowering it.
Will ferment at 16°C and give some nutrient and 02 to get things moving.

From the MG specs I noted: "... low acidity in the finished beer makes this yeast strain suitable for most beer styles although hopping rates will need to be monitored closely to achieve the flavour and aroma required."
Tried my first sample from the bottle today and to be honest it's bloody brilliant. EXACTLY what I was going for. It's a mix between Carlton Draught and Reschs Draught. Clocked in at only 4.2% due to finishing at 1.017 and was bottle primed. Will be interested to see how the keg tastes once I move house.
Very clean yeast. This recipe is bang on for mega swill fans and I will definitely brew again. Won't even bother mashing lower, it tastes great* for a mid strength.

* if you appreciate aforementioned beers

Quicker than a lager and tastes like a lager.

TheWiggman said:
Tried my first sample from the bottle today and to be honest it's bloody brilliant. EXACTLY what I was going for. It's a mix between Carlton Draught and Reschs Draught. Clocked in at only 4.2% due to finishing at 1.017 and was bottle primed. Will be interested to see how the keg tastes once I move house.
Very clean yeast. This recipe is bang on for mega swill fans and I will definitely brew again. Won't even bother mashing lower, it tastes great* for a mid strength.

* if you appreciate aforementioned beers

Quicker than a lager and tastes like a lager.
how clean is it? i've read nottingham yeast can be fermented super low (12-13-14C) and works a treat for a similar style of faux-lager

Hard to tell, I don't have much experience with it (only used Notto once). I suppose when I say 'clean' there are no funny esters or fruity flavours, just the PoR standing out and in the aftertaste. Some maltiness which doesn't linger.

technobabble66 said:

So my ESB finished at FG=1.012 after 14 days (from OG=1.052).
This is attenuation = 75% (for a completely cocked-up mash schedule - let's guesstimate the equivalent of a main 65°C rest)
It was effectively crystal clear by then.
I've CCd 4 days later, and after 4 days at 8°C it seems about the same - crystal clear.
Admittedly i recirculate my wort post-mash which is what really clears it up, so that when the yeast drops out it's very noticeable.
Seems quite clean with maybe a little "english" estery element (I fermented at ~21-22°C) - so i'm a bit surprised there's not more esters in there, tbh.

Latest brew, a TOP clone, OG=1.064, FG=1.016-1.018 (72-75% attenuation)
I used M03, Dark Ale yeast.
2 packets into ~25L.
After about 30 hrs at ~20.5°C, it had dropped to 1.026.
That's roughly 60% attenuation!
I'll see how it tails off, and report later.

How does MJ British Ale yeast handle re-pitching.

I have my ANZAC biscuit ale currently fermenting on M07 now, and considering pitching an amber ale straight onto the existing yeast cake.

Normally i decant some yeast cake off and make a starter, but feeling lazy at the moment ;)

Yeah, you guys aint wrong. Decanted onto yeast cake at 6pm yesterday, OG 1.049. Down to 1.013 by 7pm today! Just over 24hrs.

technobabble66 said:
Latest brew, a TOP clone, OG=1.064, FG=1.016-1.018 (72-75% attenuation)
I used M03, Dark Ale yeast.
2 packets into ~25L.
After about 30 hrs at ~20.5°C, it had dropped to 1.026.
That's roughly 60% attenuation!
I'll see how it tails off, and report later.
How did this go in the end? From some reports on this yeast, that might be as much attenuation as you get, but I'm curious to hear if it went any further for you.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?/topic/86008-Stalled-Old-Ale-help

It stopped dead at 60% attenuation. To be fair, on the 3rd night it dropped to 16-17*c and it didn't move since then.
Another week of 22-23*c, still no movement. So I've prep'd some kit yeast to see if I can get it down a little further in a FF test.
Largely my fault for selecting the wrong yeast, really. MJ recommend the British Ale yeast for an Old Ale, and really seem to recommend the Dark Ale yeast more for just Milds - where a 60% attenuation might work well.
Annoyed the temp dropped, though. As I'm now not sure if it's stopped because of that or if it normally stops ~60% attenuation.

Got 1xpack rehydrated m44 siting in 16.5 litres of 1044 wort, pitched at 20, kept at a steady 20.........no action at all after 30 hours.

My water for rehydrating was 30deg though before I brought it down a bit straight away.

Perhaps I have put my yeast to sleep by cooling them down straight after waking them up.

Trying not to worry, just gave the fermenter a mighty shake, and will check it every few hours....but I'm worried.

Topher said:
Got 1xpack rehydrated m44 siting in 16.5 litres of 1044 wort, pitched at 20, kept at a steady 20.........no action at all after 30 hours.

My water for rehydrating was 30deg though before I brought it down a bit straight away.

Perhaps I have put my yeast to sleep by cooling them down straight after waking them up.

Trying not to worry, just gave the fermenter a mighty shake, and will check it every few hours....but I'm worried.
I did exactly the same thing 4 days ago with the same results, tho with 1055 wort, after 2 days I had no action and had to go to work. I find out tomorrow if it took off after I left. I have read plenty of reviews that state there can be a big lag time with some of the MJ yeasts and to memory I've never read where one failed to take off so I'm not overly worried. Fingers x'd.

Mine too! The Belgiun Ale was off like a fire cracker, and I have also tried the Burton.....it took off within a day and produced a nice drop.

Back