Mangrove Jack Craft Series Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitched another cider. rehydrated on stir plate. 56hr lag time.

Pitched wy1332 as well in another batch before work, kraussen when I got back.

Liam_snorkel said:
I pitched 2 packs of rehydrated M44 (US West Coast) onto a 1.066 IPA - at 20deg - took almost 2 days to show any *visible* signs of fermentation (I didn't check gravity at that stage) - now, a week from pitching it seems to have finished at an apparent attenuation of 76%, I'm happy with that. WIll give it another day & cold crash it.
Liam_snorkel said:
I'm going to be repitching some of the slurry into a pale this week, will see if it behaves differently
jyo said:
Out of all the MJ range I've tried, the Yankee M44 is the only one that has been frighteningly slow to start for me. There should be a disclaimer on the M44 pack: Stop ******* stressing. It will start and finish!
Pitched 1/2 a cup of m44 slurry into 20deg wort last night and it fired up overnight. Krausen building in under 12 hrs. So there we go, it likes a re-pitch!

Yep if/when I use m44 again I'll be breaking the rules and making a small starter just to get the yeast busy.

Liam_snorkel said:
Pitched 1/2 a cup of m44 slurry into 20deg wort last night and it fired up overnight. Krausen building in under 12 hrs. So there we go, it likes a re-pitch!
Have to agree. Slow-motion on first pitch and fast-forward when re-pitched. Really like the clean ferment from this yeast, is a close second to liquid 001/1056 for me.

There's scant detail on M10 Workhorse but I bit the bullet and put together an 'Australian Bitter Ale' today. Along the lines of the typical Aussie lager before it became a lager. Note that at age 32, I've never tasted one except Emu Bitter (assuming it's an ale, says it is). I will shamefully admit I appreciated it.
I have a family wedding coming up and the next day I was encouraged to put a keg on by the groom. The family are lager drinkers through and through. CUB or bust, Carlton Draught being the staple, and if it ain't CUB it's Peroni. I had some Carlsbergs there some years ago and I was told "take them with you, we won't drink them" after leaving some in the fridge courteously.

I've been battling what to make. With time being critical, I took some inspiration from dent's Aussie Bitter Ale. He noted that with 20% sugaz it was a bit flavourless and not much was really going on. Also said the cluster flowers didn't do much. So considering, I decided to mash at 66 to maintain a bit of body and keep it AG. Also the M10 apparently has good attenuation so that should keep it in check.

23l 80% eff, no-chill

4.10 kg JW pilsner
0.21 kg KW light crystal
0.10 kg acidulated
5g calcium chloride

22g Pride of Ringwood pellets 9% FWH
25g Cluster flowers 5.3% (2011 crop) at whirlpool

55 - 66 - 72 - 78 mash steps.

IBU 25-odd, 4.6% ABV assuming OG 1.045 and FG 1.011

I wanted the classic PoR boldness and Cluster hit. I pulled a few of the flowers out after inhaling some pretty assertive earthy Cluster aroma, for fear of overpowering it.
Will ferment at 16°C and give some nutrient and 02 to get things moving.

From the MG specs I noted: "... low acidity in the finished beer makes this yeast strain suitable for most beer styles although hopping rates will need to be monitored closely to achieve the flavour and aroma required." I'm not really sure what this means for this kind of beer style. I'll see what the punters report back and whether or not it's too hoppy. Hopefully it'll be clean enough for the devotees to knock back but have enough flavour to raise some eyebrows.

Signs of fermentation in 12h, 36h 30mm of krausen. Pitched at 22°C and chilled to 16.5°C overnight. This yeast seem to go alright at low temps.

Bavarian Wheat smashed a White IPA.
British Ale smashed a big rye.

TheWiggman said:
... M10 Workhorse ...
Checked it last night and it seems to be finished at 1.017.

Got down to 1.020 4 days after pitching at 16.5°C.
Raised to 17...20°C over next 3 days.
Was 1.017 at day 5.
Gave it a stir on Sunday (day 7)
No change yesterday.

I'm pretty confident it's finished but that's only 62% AA and 3.7% ABV. I can't explain the high FG. A 1h 66°C mash isn't outrageous. Seems to have stalled but I did my best to help it along and gave it both yeast nutrient and O2.
The sample was very cloudy as well, so plenty of yeast in suspension in the sample (but often yeast settles in the sediment reducer). It began to separate while sitting on the bench. I'm cold crashing now, will geletine, then keg and bottle. I'm going to keg prime using sugar to up the ABV a touch.

The smell is bloody brilliant - almost exactly like a Melbourne Bitter. It promises lots of mouse piss but tastes quite clean and full bodied. Not a bad beer, but not great and sits in no man's land at the moment.

Recipe: Untitled Recipe
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Robust Porter

MJ's British Ale M07.

Rehydrated - in water - the yeast and pitched yesterday. Signs of impending fermentation in 3 hours. The yeast appeared on the surface and was actively reproducing. Full krausen within 8 hours. What a cracker of a yeast!

Trying to look around and do some research...I want to ferment Belle saison and MJ Belgian side by side, but I prefer Belle saison at around 22/23c and MJ recommend well over 26c for their strain...

What's the lowest anyone has fermented MJ Belgian at (and had good results)???

^Interested in this last question. I was planning on doing some saison ferments over summer during a heatwave to really get the esters crankin', but it turned out to be an unusually cool and temperate summer. Now I'm wondering if I should give them away...!

Lecterfan said:
Trying to look around and do some research...I want to ferment Belle saison and MJ Belgian side by side, but I prefer Belle saison at around 22/23c and MJ recommend well over 26c for their strain...

Not really an answer to your question, but have you thought of trying WLP568? I've been working up the courage to try my first saison, have done some research, but it looks like the summer window has pretty well finished for me. Definately next summer though. With all the good comments I read on WLP568, this is the one I'll be starting with for the virgin batch.

BTW. In terms of MJs, I'm about to bottle a Scotch Ale that used MJ Newcastle Dark Ale and am quite impressed with that one. 70 to 24 points in 3 days, finished at 1.021 at 7 days, and lovely flavours.

Thanks for the thoughts, antiphile, but I have a dedicated ferment fridge and stc temp controller so I don't need to factor summer into my equation. I have a 50L output so I brew double batches and ferment them side by side and am keen to use MJ Belgian as it is the only saison yeast I've not yet used and have 2 packs sitting in the fridge ready to go. Don't wait for courage, get brewing!

Lecterfan said:

^Anyone have thoughts on this specifically?

Pretty sure I've done one in the low 20s, no notes but I don't remember it being any less tasty. Sorry for my rubbish memory.

TheWiggman said:
Signs of fermentation in 12h, 36h 30mm of krausen. Pitched at 22°C and chilled to 16.5°C overnight. This yeast seem to go alright at low temps.
Why would you pitch high and drop the temp? I'd be looking at this as the reason your ferment stalled.

I've never really grasped this, particularly such a large drop and with ale yeasts. I always favor starting cool and raising the temp a degree or two every 48hrs after the first 3days with the final temp about 2 degrees over your target temp.

FWIW, i've brewed the Belle Saison twice and M27 once.
The 2 Belles (2nd was rinsed of the first) i started at ~20°C for the first day or so then ramped steadily to 25-6°C on day 3-4 (~50-60% fermented out). This resulted in 82% attenuation, and seemed to have a bit/moderate flavour impact.
The M27 was pitched at 25°C. It was ramped to 27°C the next day, then to 28°C the day after. 2 days later got it up to 30°C for 2 days, then gradually dropped to 21°C. This attained 94% attenuation (!!), the last few points of which were chewed out after it dropped to 21-2°C. Crazy attentuative power. I did a 65°C mash for 50mins that dropped to 63°C by then end of it, however i'd also accidentally hit 70°C while getting it to 65°C, so had to drop it down for the sacch step. It was probably at 70°C for a 5 minutes. I'm guessing that all helped achieve such a high attenuation, but i would've thought it'd just get an extra few %'s. The resulting beer had a moderate flavour/aroma impact from the yeast. Luckily i'd done a recipe that was quite malty and aimed somewhat at a Leffe Blonde, so it hasn't come out too thin, etc.

I was very happy with both yeasts, though i'll probably have a crack at the M27 in the next belgian attempt.

For doing the side-by-side, i'd maybe try pitching at 23°C, then move it up a degree a day up to 28-30°C. Seems a safeish way of doing it while still getting some yeastie goodness. Otherwise i'd start at 25°C, 27°C after 24hrs, then gradually up to 30°C. Its certainly fine for M27!

WitWonder said:
Why would you pitch high and drop the temp? I'd be looking at this as the reason your ferment stalled.

I've never really grasped this, particularly such a large drop and with ale yeasts. I always favor starting cool and raising the temp a degree or two every 48hrs after the first 3days with the final temp about 2 degrees over your target temp.
The ambient temp was 22°C, so I pitched it at that and then put it in the fridge. I'd be surprised if that would have anything to do with a stalled ferment. Any evidence to the contrary is welcome.
A refractometer reading on kegging showed the FG was actually around 1.014. That was after 24h gelatine and a cold crash. Odd.

Mjs Belgian I have used in a Leffe Brune of all things. I believe it was at 20° and was lovely. That was a while ago.
I have used it twice recently is ambient ferments and the one that is ready is great, nicely tart and finished well. The re pitch finished very fast an @ 1006.

Both batches I've brewed with Burton Union have taken a pretty long time for the yeast to clear - anyone else found that?

Got the Belgium ale in at the Moment, knocked 15 points off in the first 24hours, big krausen ring on the fermenter, but must have fallen just as quick. Now a nice thin layer.

1038, rehydrated 1 pack. Pitched at 26, but set the fridge to 24.5 to start.

tastes malty, slight peeper taste. Might bump it up a few degrees tomorrow.

Back