Man arrested over alleged distillery operation at Perth house

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
poor ******* if thats all he was using he would have been doing it around the clock just to fill those few bottles ...

"most of the house was being used as an active distillery"...
lol must have been living in a garden shed FFS if that's all the equipment he had....

leave the old codger alone to drink in peace...

“At the time of executing the warrant the distillery was active and a process was underway,”
can just see the cops standing around one of those fermenters... it's bubbling !!!!! WE GOT HIM !!!!!

# but if he was selling then he deserves to get a fine...

probably putting that dog food in the rum to give it some taste....

Must admit, if it wasn't for the still... its not that big of a homebrew operation...

4 fermenters...

I have two 60L batches on the go right now.

Someone was just telling me today about someone who runs a still flatout, and sells. Don't know how he hasn't been caught.

Lunacy.

Oh Look, he's got an original Cooper's Eurotainer 30L bucket!

Excuse my naivety for thinking the law would be fair and just, but...

How is it that we can brew beer till our hearts are content, but he can't distill spirits?

"Most of his house" sounds like a beatup. Those fermenters are empty. They're also filthy haha.

I feel sorry for the guy but if he was selling, this was always how it was going to end...

Whatever happened to the good old days where for a small gratuity by way of a few bottles of 'bathtub gin', the coppers would give a nod and wink and say 'have a nice day sir'.

Oh yeah..
ICAC n shit..

No sympathy, if he was on selling to the public. If he was making for himself I feel sorry for him.
We had a couple of arrests up here, $10,000 fine per still on the premises and convictions, one guy was caught with 2 stills.

I often wonder what the laws are. Thought they were illegal just to own but they're always for sale on gumtree.

It's a sort of blind eye thing most of the time
If you're making enough to get yourself a little jolly on a friday night, the po-po will turn a blind eye most of the time
As soon as you're making quantities big enough to sell, or are selling, that's when you're really asking for some attention
Some bright spark near me decided to start selling to kids a couple of years ago, everyone who knew I brewed beer asked if it was me, the amount of times I had to explain I only brewed beer at the time got very annoying
It's really ruining it for the guys who want to be able to make good craft spirits (essences = poo) like our brothers over in NZ do

Probably like the "tobacco bongs" still available in shops... or the Mad Dog Brewing Co....

Loopholes.

There's a bit of a movement right now to try and introduce a similar system to NZ's legal home distilling
Here's hoping it works

Its a bit like marriageahwarna. Get caught with a joint and its no big deal. Get caught with a house full and your looking at serious time

AndrewQLD said:
No sympathy, if he was on selling to the public. If he was making for himself I feel sorry for him.
We had a couple of arrests up here, $10,000 fine per still on the premises and convictions, one guy was caught with 2 stills.
Do you know if they were selling to the public? If they were not then ouch, otherwise they deserved it.

Don't know how correct the news article is, but The man is expected to be prosecuted for the "sale and supply of liquor and its manufacture". If it's true then it looks like he was selling it.

Given the number of bottles in that pic, for the sake of his liver, I really hope he wasn't drinking it all himself.

So a still isn't legal??? I'm sure I've seen them in the homebrew shop, but I'm only buying beer stuff.

image.jpg

Bloody small house.

Latest posts

Back