Man arrested over alleged distillery operation at Perth house

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the ATO link. It's specific on the sort of still you can own, but vague on the requirements for doing it legally.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Excise-and-excise-equivalent-goods/Distillation-equipment/

Most LHBS's have plenty of products for home distillation, displayed openly: "bourbon" and other flavourings, stills, filter carbon for processing the base spirit (I use it to filter chlorine and organic matter out of brew water). So either a lot of their customers have gone through the hoops with the ATO, or they stay small and off the radar.

panzerd18 said:
If you're not a licensed excise manufacturer you must have permission to buy, import, manufacture, dispose of, possess, own or sell a still unless it:
  • only has a capacity of five litres or less, and
  • will not be used to distil alcohol.
So you can own a still if it has a capacity of five litres or less and is not used to distil alcohol.

Again, when you own a stil, it is only for the production of essential oils and nothing else.

Cocko said:
You know I got mad skills yo!
breaking-bad-empire-business-t-shirt-6.jpg

I just knew Full Pint was just a front

This argument again!
You can apply for a permit to distill alcohol for home consumption. This does however require a few things (like an ABN). If you declare the quantities you are distilling and pay the tax, no dramas. Works out at about $17 for the equivalent of a 700ml at 40% by memory.
When I drink spirits, and beer now, I drink to enjoy it. I haven't yet had a home brewed spirit I'd pay for.
It's no wonder this country doesn't have many big or craft distillers, how would you ever learn to start up? I'd imagine most/all craft brewers in Aus would have started at home and over the course of a few years, sharpened up and decided to take the leap. Who'd want to learn and pay a shitload of tax?

There are a few more issues related to distilling that dont affect brewing.

I read an interesting piece on setting up a distillery by Stephen Dobson, owner of Eastview Estate at Kentucky on the NSW Northern Tablelands. The main issue with the ATO letting you set one up is your expertise in distilling. You cant just walk up and get a licence like you can with a brewery. The reasoning behind this is that if you dont know what you are doing then you could potentially produce contaminated spirits that can be poisonous. You have to be able to convince them that you know how to run a still properly..etc..etc..

In a lot of ways this is a good thing as it tends to stop any Johny come lately seting up a cheap still and potentially selling spirits that are capable of putting you in hospital for all the wrong reasons

I agree Stu. It's a wonder they haven't cracked down on the no-chillers due to the ever present risk of botulism.

RSPCA have never come after anyone for the kittens either...

TheWiggman said:
This argument again!
You can apply for a permit to distill alcohol for home consumption. This does however require a few things (like an ABN). If you declare the quantities you are distilling and pay the tax, no dramas. Works out at about $17 for the equivalent of a 700ml at 40% by memory.
When I drink spirits, and beer now, I drink to enjoy it. I haven't yet had a home brewed spirit I'd pay for.
It's no wonder this country doesn't have many big or craft distillers, how would you ever learn to start up? I'd imagine most/all craft brewers in Aus would have started at home and over the course of a few years, sharpened up and decided to take the leap. Who'd want to learn and pay a shitload of tax?
So whats the deal if one wished to produce some crappy E10 style home cooked juice additive (personal use only) to power yard equipment, top alcohol doorslamer or use for window cleaner?
We're only talking in the order of 14 deg between the two - methanol - ethanol.
Cos I know where I an get my hands on bulk, cheap corn and I reckon I could easily modify my coil chiller into a condenser.
We go through about 3L of metho a year easy so I can obviously save huge $$$$ making my own.

Ducatiboy stu said:
There are a few more issues related to distilling that dont affect brewing.

I read an interesting piece on setting up a distillery by Stephen Dobson, owner of Eastview Estate at Kentucky on the NSW Northern Tablelands. The main issue with the ATO letting you set one up is your expertise in distilling. You cant just walk up and get a licence like you can with a brewery. The reasoning behind this is that if you dont know what you are doing then you could potentially produce contaminated spirits that can be poisonous. You have to be able to convince them that you know how to run a still properly..etc..etc..

In a lot of ways this is a good thing as it tends to stop any Johny come lately seting up a cheap still and potentially selling spirits that are capable of putting you in hospital for all the wrong reasons
Dobson's = amazing
If anyone's ever over that way, go do a tasting
His beers are ok, but his spirits are top notch

Dave70 said:
We go through about 3L of metho a year easy so I can obviously save huge $$$$ making my own.
There are therapy groups that can help you with that issue

Dave70 said:
So whats the deal if one wished to produce some crappy E10 style home cooked juice additive (personal use only) to power yard equipment, top alcohol doorslamer or use for window cleaner?
We're only talking in the order of 14 deg between the two - methanol - ethanol.
Cos I know where I an get my hands on bulk, cheap corn and I reckon I could easily modify my coil chiller into a condenser.
Start by filling out this application from your friendly ATO. THOUGH... the site states "Alcohol includes spirits, ethyl alcohol and ethanol. It does not include methanol, propenol, isopropenol and butanol" (i.e. you don't have to pay an excise on the latter). You still have to apply for metho distillation because it requires an s-word. Can't see it being approved though for your typical Dave70 because I think they would expect you to manufacture it and wouldn' grant a permit for home quantities. Though 3l a year, that's approaching commercial quantities.

I think their response would be "Dear Dave70. Nice try. Love, ATO"

But when Dave builds that Top Alchohol Doorslammer he is going to need a regular supply if high quality Alcohol, so he should be right to go with the application

That's ethanol though isn't it? In that case you'll have to pay a fuel tax excise. Always snookered.

Ducatiboy stu said:
There are therapy groups that can help you with that issue
Those groups are weird. I was in that one with the 12 something or others once. Before I knew it, I had this bloke ringing me up at all hours telling me 'Dave, I need a drink and cant stop myself' So I'd be like, mate YOLO, knock yourself out!
The man running the group said I wasn't really 'getting it' and maby I should leave. Pffft...whatever.

Yeah, they sure do lack a sense of humor. As I am not really a meetings kind of person, I prefer to just be a common drunk

TheWiggman said:
That's ethanol though isn't it? In that case you'll have to pay a fuel tax excise. Always snookered.
Nope, methanol.
I have a similar drum from when I was playing around with making bio diesel. Also popular at the local go kart track when mixed with castor oil.

AT%20METHANOL%2020L.jpg

Back