Schwartz Brewing- Alleged Syd Craft Beer Week Lunch.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I like to see, a local craft brewery that keeps an eye on some of the comments, and a very well worded response I must say. I'm going to pop in for a couple tomorrow morning on my way to the Taphouse for a boozy afternoon.

The four times I have been to the Mac, the beers have been impressive. (except for that bloody hazelnut thing)

Its also great that youre getting the message across to all the staff there. The Mac is a bit of a hidden gem thats often overlooked as a craft beer venue, so anything the front-level staff can do to show some passion is always going to be a plus.

All the best Michael. Look forward to trying a couple of your brew tomorrow.

Ted

Great response from the brewery.

I had a similar experience at the front bar once when I asked for the Schwarzbier. The girl behind the bar replied that they were all Schwartz Beers. I said yeah, but only one of them is a schwarzbier. It took a minute or two to get across to her what I was actually asking for. At one stage she threatened to not serve me. From then on, I just pointed at the tap I wanted to avoid confusion.

I enjoy all the beers there, but service has let been less than impressive.

I had a similar experience at the front bar once when I asked for the Schwarzbier. The girl behind the bar replied that they were all Schwartz Beers. I said yeah, but only one of them is a schwarzbier.
I enjoy all the beers there, but service has let been less than impressive.

I had the same experience a few months back when trying to order the schwarzbier. The girl at the counter was well confused!

Good work Mike.

I am really happy to see some momentum gathering at Schwartz. It seems to have all the ingredients for a killer venue, not least of all a killer location, but there has always seemed to be things holding it back a little from realising full potential and being a bigger presence on the beer landscape.

I was there a few months back getting some advice off Michael (thanks Mike) and nearly fell over at the price of a schooner of porter <$4. And, after tasting through the taps, my only complaint was that they were too cold (and yes, most Sydney people demand ice cold beer). And I got a fresh tasting Chimay for about $6. I will back up Stu's call that it used to be pulling teeth to get a house beer, and it is good to see that they have re-prioritised the lines.

Keep the incentives going at Schwartz, keep working on communication and bar staff education. Your product needs to be represented properly in the glass and over the bar at the end of the day.

Cheers
Dan

Offer of a beer & visit gratefully accepted yesterday, & brewers Michael & Andrew kindly spared their time for some beer themed talk!
Much appreciated guys, I'm sure you'll see me back there again very soon.
Mikk.

(Also, very interesting bottlo selection noted. I picked up Pierre Celis' Grottenbier & Samuel Smith imperial stout, & very nearly some Achel bruin too. Next time...)

Gday Mikk,

My name is Michael and I am the Head brewer at Schwartz Brewery. Firstly I would like to thank you for your feedback, without it we can't get better. My job is to run the brewery, not the venue or restaurant, but I think it is fair for me to apologise for the lack of co-ordination you encountered on Wednesday. From my point of view it is a shame that Andrew and I try to make the best beer we can, but that it's flavour gets tainted because of the service. This is an issue that has long hindered us, and one that we are working hard to fix. For the record the brewery and venue are one and the same, and Bill and Tony's are an independant business that run the food.

Believe it or not this thread has had a massive impact on the brewery/venue/resteraunt management today, as I made sure that every person with a computer in the building was forwarded a copy. We recognise that we have flaws, and will certainly learn from your experience!

As Stu said the Schwartz Brewery is trying really hard to improve by supporting the local beer scene by helping the BJCP course out, sponsoring domestic homebrew comps and running beer festivals in Leura and Canberra. I also apprecaite the positive feedback you gave our beer, because it means we are doing something right :icon_chickcheers:

Saying all that i Mikk its my shout, so next time you plan to be in the area email [email protected], or just pop in and ask for me and i will show you the brewery over a cold frothy beer!

Cheers,

Michael Capaldo

Latest posts

Back