Wig & Pen Brew Day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteoz77

Reaction score
Hey AHBrs. Just thought some of you might be interested in the brew Day that that The Canberra Brewers enjoyed Yesterday. If any of you want to come along next year, just get ahold of a Canberra Brewer to get yourself invited along. The Pub normally does not open until 2pm on a Saturday, so this event was invite only. Cost was $20 for the entire day, including breakfast, lunch, sample beers, and 1/2 price on all other beers for the day. I know this special price was subsidised by the club, so not sure about the cost to non club members.

OK, SO I arrive at 10 minutes to 9 am. I am immediately handed a half pint of Porter and a a huge Egg and Bacon Roll. I am told to enjoy as much porter as I like for the next 20 minutes or so, and as many egg and bacon rolls as I like, I am happy with one roll and 2 X 1/2 pints of Porter to get the day rolling.

About 9:30 the mash in takes place. I don't go watch, mainly because the room is FULL ( we had over 60 brew club members there) and because I went to this last year... and I have brewed on a much bigger system as well, so I let the new guys have the view.

About 10:00 the Cheese making Demo begins and we all watch with great interest. This takes hours, so we just watch the beginning stages, then mosey on outside to see the coffee roasting Demo. This was very "Do it yourself" and involved a commercial heat gun ( like for stripping paint etc) and a butchered bread machine for stirring. Bother Demos were fantastic!

Back inside for more beers. I was loving the "Bob's Armpit (7%)" and "Lunch With The Monks" (9% Triple) Belgians, when suddenly, the tasting platter come out with MANY glasses of both for sampling. Many other beers were enjoyed as well, including an amazing APA called "Rumpoles"... one of my favourites. All this time, many workers (Club Members with assigned Tasks) were running around doing the Brewing tasks... Such as measuring out 20 different hops etc.

Suddenly.. it's Lunch Time! Large bowls of chips (Fries) and huge burgers loaded with fresh salad were everywhere! Amazing Lunch!

The Brewer Troupe were still toiling away, while the smarter ones (the lucky ones that did not get picked) lazed about, drinking half price beers, talking sh*t and enjoying the day. A full pint of Standard beer at this pub is $8. A Seasonal Pint is $11, and a 330ml of the belgians costs $9 ALL the beers at this pub are made on premises.

After lunch, we all went downstairs to see the Barrel room where the Belgians are maturing. I think there were 10 different brews going on in there, and we sampled two of them, and checked out the mould growing on top of them. Then over to the Cool Room, to taste a VERY Nice Russian Imperial Stout that will be on the taps in about 4 weeks. We checked out out the Grain Stores (hundreds of bags of all types of malt) the fruit stores (lots of frozen cherry mash etc. and then trekked back upstairs.

More Brewing, drinking, talking sh*t ensued, until it was time for the Raffle Drawing. I bought $10 worth of tickets, and won second prize.. a bag of Briess Pale Malt! First prize was an 18 litre Keg of Wig & Pen Beer... not sure which one. Lots of other prizes were won as well.

I decided to leave around 4pm but left behind many others to continue on with the celebrating.

I spent a total of about $60 on everything (mostly half priced premium beers) and I came home full of beer, full of food, and with a $60 bag of Malt. Not a bad day if I do say so myself!

Sounds awesome - I've been to Wig & Pen when in Canberra for work, loved the beer!

The Canberra Brewers is the most awarded club in the land (on per capita results or even stand alone). Part of the reason for this, is the access to head brewer Richard Watkins, and the Wig and Pen in general.

I have no doubt Brisbane has/will experience a similar thing due to the experience of tasting good beer from Ross, and having access to top ingredients.

I agree, it was a great day.

A special thanks to the committee members (of which i'm one) who put a heap of (volunteer) effort into organising the day (which I didn't).

The Wig & Pen is a fantastic sponsor of the Canberra Brewers.

Latest posts

Back