Maltshovel Hop Thief

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good news!

I loved the Hop Theif from last year. Will be very interested to sample this year's effort.

I liked last years Hop Thief as well, but agree with what many of you are saying about the flavour/aroma. I don't think I could last through a 6 pack, but a couple went down very nicely.

Cheers to Malt Shovel for being bold enough to give it a go!

BB

i agree, found that beer a bit of a revelation!!! really worth tracking down.. :beer: really nice hop fruity flavours!

2006 hop thief used Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Hallertau - both from New Zealand. The secret's out :)

2006 hop thief used Nelson Sauvin and Pacific Hallertau - both from New Zealand. The secret's out :)
Was this ever a secret?

I'm looking forward to trying the new one at the Wheaty tomorrow. Doesn't sound like many are impressed with it though. Still, Tony Jones is always good for a chat.

Tasted this years today. Can't say I was that impressed. I really liked last years version immensely and found this one a little disappointing. Kind of a nowhere APA. Flavour was OK but had an odd staleness in the first sip I found and just wasn't the beer it was before.

Having said that I am a big fan of Nelson Sauvin so perhaps this one will be more to the liking of fans of American hops. I do like them but I think they can be easily used poorly.

Not a patch on Jye's, or Browndogs APA, or Ross's Ruination :)

I also tried the 2007 Hop Thief tonight. I thought it was good, but like last year, it really could have been hoppier. Bit disappointing how these commercial jobs always seem to fall short - none of them seem to have the balls to produce something with serious hop flavour and aroma. There are definitely hops in this beer, but to bang on about how the "malt takes a back seat" is just crap - its just like all other MSB beers but with a pinch more hops. My old man and I got through a 6 pack with ease though, its not a bad beer by any means and is quite moreish but all the same, a "hop bomb" it ain't.

I'll happily finish off the remaining 3 six packs though, just try and stop me! :beer:

I'm just sipping one at the moment. I like it! No it's not an overly hoppy beer in my opinion, though I'm a self confessed hophead. For the average CUB swilling joe blogg out there in noddy land, it would probably seem to be extremely hoppy/tasty. It's great to a new beer on the market, that's a bit left of centre.

Cheers :)

I just had one on tap at James Squire Bar/Portland Hotel in Melbourne tonight after the Microbrewery Showcase. I can't say my taste buds are accurate after having 25 samples from 14 microbreweries beforehand, but I did enjoy it. It's still very hopy, but agree that last year had a little more kick.

It's worth a try, but I'm not sure I'd buy a case. I consider it more of an occasional brew where as if I want a hopped beer, I'll go for a Little Creature Bright Ale and can handle several at a time. LCBA is more of a summer beer for me and the days are quickly approaching Porter time.

Off the subject I know, but had a few really nice Porters tonight at the Microbrewery Showcase. I've had them before, but really enjoyed them the most out of what was being served. Red Ducks Porter and Holgates Winter Ale were standouts.

I bought a carton of this on friday, was quite well on my way by the time it was broached but the strong memory is of prominent mandarine flavour. I assume from the Simcoe as I've often heard it referenced suchly but have never got that particular flavour in any strong fashion from it myself.

There's a couple bottles left in the fridge that I will give better attention to sometime, but my impression was of a fairly well-hopped beer.

Bought a six pack of these today. I like it.

Ive really enjoyed these tonight and wish I bought a carton. Im definetly not a good beer judge but I thought it lacked in the aroma department. The taste was there but there was little aroma.

I bought a carton of this on monday

I was in Dan Murphys and was on my way out when i spotted it.

I had horror flash backs of when i bought a 6 pac of rum rebellion porter and when i went back to buy a carton, it was sold out :angry:

I grabbed a carton and threw it under the bar when i got home, commenting in its direction "you'll keep"

I clean forgot it was there till now.

I will have to throw a couple in the fridge for tommorrow lunch time :)

cheers

Tried it and liked it, I'm guessing Simcoe and another high alpha US variety like Columbus aka Tomahawk or Warrior. Will consider buying a 6 pack next time I see it or even a carton if the price is right.

I think (sadly) with the JS range, it comes down to how well it has been handled/stored between the brewery and your fridge. Unlike us homebrewers, not everyone understands beer nor gives it the attention/care it deserves. I have had great bottles of golden ale, i've also had horrible ones. The solution seems pretty clear to me - BIY! (brew it yourself)

Got a carton, I like it but a little disappointed, was hoping it would be hoppier.

Wraith

I agree that one should brew a good beer AND enjoy it!

You always hope that this next beer is gonna be great, and it is...until U start to taste the swampwater/angry beaver. The beer I bought may not have been cared for. I know that I should never buy from the front of the fridge, coz the newer product is behind the old one which is out-of-date, but they try to sell it at the premium price. Have U ever seen "bargain beer"? I mean anything that was good value for money, but they dropped the price due to encroaching closeness to the Best_Before_date.

Some of my bottles tasted grand, and others had the "beaver". Stale and skunky, with a bit of thiol in the aftertaste, if anyone understands what I'm going on about.

I haven't seen the price drop on mature stock many times. The only time I see cheap imports or Oz micro is when the chain/bottle is dropping the line and/or it's so nasty you could polish boots with it.

Tony's beer will be OK if they're sealed in the light-tight carton, and if they weren't on the top or edges of the pallet.

This has been a Seth community announcement.
Beerz :p
</pistolpatch> :lol:

nice light clean beer on tap
hint of hops
great for the masses - non offensive yet tasty.

what were you expecting Tony? the second coming?

I got a six pack of this today, so I dunno how limited it is seeing it must have been out already in March (seems new in Victoria though?). I quite enjoyed it. Not quite as hoppy as a Little Creatures Pale Ale but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you in 12 months when I have more brews under my belt (I do like hops so I'll probably slowly increase flavour and aroma in batches over time) I might find the hop flavour a bit lacking but with what my palate is used to atm, quite nice :)

I got a six pack of this today, so I dunno how limited it is seeing it must have been out already in March (seems new in Victoria though?). I quite enjoyed it. Not quite as hoppy as a Little Creatures Pale Ale but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Mind you in 12 months when I have more brews under my belt (I do like hops so I'll probably slowly increase flavour and aroma in batches over time) I might find the hop flavour a bit lacking but with what my palate is used to atm, quite nice :)
I'm yet to see this in my local Dan Murphy, did you buy it at Dans?

Latest posts

Back