Making a Perry! Some advice please. No Activity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manus

Reaction score
Hi, I have been watching how to make pear cider videos on youtube for a bit and thought I would give it a shot and so went to the local brew shop and got the 5 litre bottles to brew in.
Anyway I was talking to the store owner and decided I would make 1 batch of Perry just to see if I liked it. I am not second guessing the store owner as I have never done this before but just there is absolutely no activity happening in the brew and its been an hour.

So anyway,
I got the pure pear juice from tins, no preservatives/additives. I was speaking to the store owner about the adding of sugar to the brew and I had seen many videos of people using brown sugar. He warned against this and told me that standard white sugar should do the trick which I was okay with. Then he added that there might be enough sugar in the juice already and I might not need to add any sugar whatsoever.

I was intrigued by this and he told me to take a reading from the hydrometer of the pear juice and it will have the sugar content on it too. It showed up at 156 per litre, which worked out at about 7.8%. I thought this was a perfect alcohol content and decided not too add any sugar.

So I went poured the contents into the 5 litre glass jar and then added the yeast (Craft Series. M02 Cider Yeast). No problems so far.

Now one thing I did notice on the majority of videos on youtube (Mostly British) was that they shook the bottle well with the yeast in it ( I have only brewed beer so far and was always told to let it sit on top and let it do the work) So I shook the bottle with the yeast in it as advised via youtube.

Anyway a simple enough procedure and no action at all is happening and I havent seen one bubble yet. Its been at least 1 hour now and I havent seen no action at all.
A little nervous I added a little (Not much at all) more yeast on top again without shaking.

Oh and the yeast amount is for 23l and I was told to half the sachet for the amount I am doing.

Is this standard and has everything that I have done all correct?

Thanks in advance a pic if needed.

photo (1).JPG

it's only been an hour? patience my friend, patience. RDWHAHB. it'll kick off.

Happy days that makes me feel alot better! Its just in one of the videos (it was a cider) It was nearly popping at 10 mins according to him! Will report back in 24 :)

ONE HOUR?!
Holy crap nuggets.

No way was the video guys "popping" @ 10 minutes.
Give it 24 bra.

I noticed there was no mention of yeast nutrient. You will need it to help your yeast eat up all of that sugar.

i currently have a apple pear cider going for the first time - mine took about a day and half close to 2 days before i saw signs of activity
i used 75% apple juice (berrie) 25% apple/pear (berrie)

i slowly melted .75kg of raw sugar in a pot with the juice - really slowly
i added some honey and nutmeg and cinnamon

i managed to get my hands on cider yeast.

been bubbling for 2 weeks now
probably another 2 weeks before bottling at this stage

for future reference i hvae one question of the group
i want to make a larger batch prob 15lt in size (i have a lot of cider yeast left)

i want to know how to get different flavours into it - can i add those flavour syrups some use for that other kind of drink making that cannot be named here.:)

either way happy brewing
drink well - drink fast and drink to many good times
Jongylary

Well thanks for the patience tip. Its all bubbling away now so I am happy enough with that.

_WALLACE_ i was never advised on yeast nutrient from the shop owner. Is this a must or something that will just help the process. My only ingredients are Pear Juice and Yeast! I thought it was too simple to be true.

I always add a bit of yeast nutrient when making ciders. A good basic yeast nutrient is Diammonium Phosphate, "superphosphate for yeast" that looks a bit like granulated sugar. Just a bit on the end of a teaspoon should be fine for a gallon.

jongylary said:
i currently have a apple pear cider going for the first time - mine took about a day and half close to 2 days before i saw signs of activity
i used 75% apple juice (berrie) 25% apple/pear (berrie)

i slowly melted .75kg of raw sugar in a pot with the juice - really slowly
i added some honey and nutmeg and cinnamon

i managed to get my hands on cider yeast.

been bubbling for 2 weeks now
probably another 2 weeks before bottling at this stage

for future reference i hvae one question of the group
i want to make a larger batch prob 15lt in size (i have a lot of cider yeast left)

i want to know how to get different flavours into it - can i add those flavour syrups some use for that other kind of drink making that cannot be named here. :)

either way happy brewing
drink well - drink fast and drink to many good times
Jongylary
the cheaper end commercial ciders use essences as the secondary flavor in thier cider but you can also use tannins and oak to flavor ciders
these also impart different flavors
always trail small amounts of tannins before dosing to the final batch
live long and make good cider

When I make a cider/perry in 5L demi, I add :-
1/2 cup strong black tea (tannin)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (acid)
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient (gets it off to a good start) there's not a lot of nutrient for the yeast in apple/pear/blackcurrant juice.

Having said that I made a lot of ciders with just yeast.

Basically a newbie to brewing here so thanks for the advice. Will get some yeast nutrient for my next batch. How long do you think I should give it before bottling and carbonating. I have seen people regret leaving it too long before carbonating and bottling though seen others prefering to leave it in the demi for longer amounts of time. I have been told though to leave it about 4 weeks or until there is about one bubble coming from the airlock per minute.

fairly new to all this myself but from the advise i have been give is disregard the bubblng activing - it can still be fermementing even with very little no no visable activity- trust in your hydromater - like beer take constant readings when its stable for 3 days supposedly you want a very low FG otherwise we may be creating bottle bombs lol
Jongylary
Dont drink to excess drink to hydrate

Yeah not convinced about the need for yeast nutrient, yeast lives naturally on many fruits and finds/creates its own nutrients. That said store-bought pear juice will probably have gone through some sanitisation/possibly pasteurisation process so in that context maybe a bit of nutrient wouldn't go astray.

Would have to refer to my notes but I think the yeast in one of my wines took quite a while to reach its peak. My guess is this happens because wines age over much longer periods than beer; with beer yeasts you want something that does a job quickly and then isn't so obtrusive to ruin the flavour; with wines you want something that is stronger, eats more sugar, steadily, and will keep ageing the wine over months and maybe even years - a stronger, longer lasting yeast.

Best home made cider I've had recently was from a mate I helped to set up a fermenter and bits. We used just Aldi Juice (plus some sugar and YN) and were about to head out to the LHBS to get some sparkling wine yeast when I realised I had a pack of S-04 beer yeast I had ordered in error.

I don't use S-04 so donated it for the cider and it made a really nice brew, as tasty as any of the mega ciders like Bulmers. Probably not a good choice for "fine" ciders and perries, but it certainly hits the spot for a quick quaffing cider.

manus said:
Happy days that makes me feel alot better! Its just in one of the videos (it was a cider) It was nearly popping at 10 mins according to him! Will report back in 24 :)
Going back to some of my early notes, I see that when I used bakers yeast (yeast for baking not for brewing) I had activity within 30 mins and krausen with continuous bubbles in an hour.

Baker's yeast is bred for a very fast start. No one wants to wait 24 hours for their bread to rise. You also probably used a lot of it further reducing the lag time.

The fast start comes at the expense of flavour as they will pump out lots of weird stuff as they get going. Brewer's yeast may be slower ti start but its much more restrained in the off flavour department.

Another good reason to never let baker's yeast anywhere near your brew (JAO thread notwithstanding)

jongylary said:
fairly new to all this myself but from the advise i have been give is disregard the bubblng activing - it can still be fermementing even with very little no no visable activity- trust in your hydromater - like beer take constant readings when its stable for 3 days supposedly you want a very low FG otherwise we may be creating bottle bombs lol
Jongylary
Dont drink to excess drink to hydrate

I try not to use my hydrometer too often with a 5L batch as it seems like a waste of cider (given the amount needed to fill the tube vs the amount in a 5L demijohn), I'm not saying dont use it but do try to wait for some signs the yeast is finished. Every time I've made cider it has been super cloudy during fermentation, and then gone crystal clear when fermentation is done, this is when I do my hydrometer checks.

Or get on ebay and buy a refractomerer, then you're only using a couple of drops :)

Airgead said:
Baker's yeast is bred for a very fast start. No one wants to wait 24 hours for their bread to rise. You also probably used a lot of it further reducing the lag time.

The fast start comes at the expense of flavour as they will pump out lots of weird stuff as they get going. Brewer's yeast may be slower ti start but its much more restrained in the off flavour department.

Another good reason to never let baker's yeast anywhere near your brew (JAO thread notwithstanding)
My notes from that period show that at the same time the experiment included the other 1/2 of the juice being fermented with brewers yeast. It also had activity by 30 mins and had pressure in the airlock within the hour, but, seeing it was midnight I didn,t hang around for more.
I was pointing out to Manus that it was possible to have fast yeast as per the video he refered to but not with the yeast he was using.

Latest posts

Back