Making a Perry! Some advice please. No Activity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers for all the advice. Still no action or bubbles I can see yet. Been a week and still looks like the pic I originally posted to be honest. Being patient though and just making up another 5l now as I speak. Can too much yeast have a negative effect on your brew? Might have 'over yeasted' it.

Time to pull out your hydrometer and see what the SG is. If you pitched a full packet of yeast it may have started and finished while you were'nt looking.

P.S. you are sure that the juice was preservative free?

Just rechecked the Pear Juice and states No Preservatives, No Artificial Colours, No Artificial Flavours, which is why I think I might have put too much yeast in. There is some stuff forming on the bottom like beer, but just seeing no action. Could just be missing it.

Yea there was alot of yeast put into it but it has only been a week tomorrow its been in there. Dont want to risk taking it out just yet. Was just going to leave it two weeks maybe and take a reading then. Will it do any harm in the jar all fermentation has taken place?

I've had ciders show sweet all activity before. If you've got yeast forming on the bottom I wouldn't stress too much. Two weeks in the fermentor will be fine. Just make sure to take a gravity reading over a few days to be sure its finished.

Manus, seems like you have a leak. If you have a 5L glass carboy & a rubber bung it's probably the stem of the airlock. A lot of the airlocks have casting flash on the stem which you need to reshape.
I have left cider under airlock for 2mths. Won't do any harm.

When you say no activity....

Do you mean that there is no visible fermentation activity? No airlock bubbling? No decrease on gravity?

Cider does not hold a foam like beer does so unless you use a top fermenting yeast you wont' see a big karausn like you will with beer. If the airlock isn't bubbling you may have a leak (or the airlock could be clogged with kittens). The only way to be sure is to watch the gravity. If that's dropping you are fine. if it isn't you may not be fine.

You can over pitch yeast but it will give you odd flavours, it won't fail to ferment.

Cheers
Dave

As for fermentation
always rely on your hydrometer to tell what is going on
not your airlock
the bubbling thru airlocks is affected by how well it seals on lid
and also temperature and how much pressure is under the lid

Rule 1 always check with a hydrometer
Rule 2 refer to rule 1

B)

Just referring back to this,

My Perry has been going for 3 weeks now but still has a very high SG
Using EC1118 yeast and the same tinned Juice as mentioned above.

What FG should we be expecting, especially given the unfermentable sugars found in pear juice

I did a trial batch once using that tinned juice and it finished around 1.012. Used 71B rather than EC1118 but it was well under the alcohol tolerance for the yeast so it would have eaten up all the fermentables so the result should be similar for the EC1118.

Cheers,

mine is still up over 1.025, I might give it a good stir and add a small amount of some DV10 I still have to kick it into gear

Latest posts

Back