Loss Of Pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Village Idiot

Reaction score
Merry Christmas to all,

I have just carbd my first keg(woohoo) and all was good yesterday..... but this morning I seem to have lost all pressure. Looks like the pressure relief may be a bit sticky. Had a dick around with it this morning and it is now holding pressure.

My question is....I force carbd for 48 hours, pulled a nice beer :) then set to 100 kpa to hold carb....... lost pressure over night.... what is the best thing to do? Set at 100kpa? Pull a beer and see if its flat? Repeat the force carb process?

Drink beer. If beer is not carbed enough, carb it some more. No need to overcomplicate things. I doubt it will have gone too flat.

If it was stored cold (as it would have been), it wouldn't have lost too much carbonation overnight with a small leak. Just hook the gas back up, set to 100kpa and pour another pint. If it's slightly undercarbed, remember that in a day or so it will carb up at that dispensing pressure.

How did you determine you had lost pressure? Did you open the relief valve and there was no sound of gas escaping?

How did you determine you had lost pressure? Did you open the relief valve and there was no sound of gas escaping?

I hooked the gauge back up and it showed no pressure, pulled the relief and got only a small hiss of air.....going to pull a beer now and try it

I hooked the gauge back up and it showed no pressure, pulled the relief and got only a small hiss of air.....going to pull a beer now and try it

Most people leave the gas on all the time. The beer has probably absorbed what it could, which meant there was little left in the headspace when you pulled the PRV. Beer wont be flat yet, but it will eventually go flat as you drain the keg. CO2 will escape into the headspace.

Most people leave the gas on all the time. The beer has probably absorbed what it could, which meant there was little left in the headspace when you pulled the PRV. Beer wont be flat yet, but it will eventually go flat as you drain the keg. CO2 will escape into the headspace.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I did the same for a while as I have more kegs than Gas hoses. So each time I connected a hose back up I could hear gas going in. Thought I had a leak but realised that the liquid was absorbing gas.

You may be right.... I am a bit paranoid about losing the gas if there is a leak.

Drink beer. If beer is not carbed enough, carb it some more. No need to overcomplicate things. I doubt it will have gone too flat.
that about sums it up.....

.....I am a bit paranoid about losing the gas if there is a leak.
me too .. i've wasted a few bottles of CO2 when i've had a leak, so I always disconnect. I open up my taps (they have flow-controllers) as the pressure drops, and when they stop pouring I gas them up again.

Back