looking to get into kegging/pluto gun, need advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChefKing said:
HI All,

I now have my temp setup running: 1 corny keg with co2, pluto gun all on 4mm line.

I have 4 intertaps turning up soon from KK, 4 way manifold, gas/beer disconnects, stepless clamps... basically the whole shebang to convert my fridge into a kegerator.

Anyhow for now I am running just a pluto tap

The problem is I keep getting a lot of wastage, roughly a pint every 6 schooners. I purged firstly, forced carbed the keg on point at 30 psi and rocked for 2 mins. Currently at 10 psi for serving. After I let the gun run some foam it comes good with a good pour. Though i think I am losing to much good beer to start off with.

All the lines are sealed correctly and the gas line has stepless clamps (even the connection between the beer line & pluto gun has stepless clamps), but for the life of me I just can't nail a perfect beer with losing a heap of good beer.

Any ideas on how to solve this would be much appreciated
Too much gas in your beer for your serving pressure.

ChefKing said:
Also another question: I have the new coopers fermenter (krausen collar).

For the life of me I can see how I would connect hosing to the new spigot to transfer beer to keg any got any hacks or tips?
I have a small piece of bottling wand cut off in the end of a hose, so i just plug her into the tap and away she goes.

Turn regulator down, pull the pressure relief valve and wait a day. It takes a while for the excess CO2 to come out of the beer.

Probably too late but those lids don't have the manual pull pressure release valve. Those fuckers got me already. This is a pain in the arse every time you want to purge. You can buy new lids for $25 or so from brew shops.
Also had the pin locks and have now converted to ball locks. Just easier/reliable in my experience.
If you've over-gassed, easiest way I've found to fix is to pull the pressure release valve and leave it open for a day.
When you get a few kegs going you can gas over a week at serving pressure while drinking the others. That way once the reg is set to give a good level of carbonation you don't touch it. It can be a fine line between good carb and overgassed.

Pin locks can be purged you just have to disconnect the gas disconnect and push down on the poppet carefully with a screwdriver. Yeah its a bit more of a pain than ball locks but it can be done

Latest posts

Back