looking to get into kegging/pluto gun, need advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefKing

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was thinking about getting a kegerator, but a mate suggested instead of dropping $800+ on a kegerator set up.

I should start out with a cpl of corny kegs with a pluto gun attached as cheaper alternative and use that as a learning curve on how to keg properly/co2 gas set ups, force carbing etc...

I have been researching them all morning and have found this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pin-Lock-Home-Brew-Keg-Starter-Kit-Pluto-Cornelius-Post-Mix-Beer-Coca-Cola-/291728574849?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

The only thing stopping me is the pluto gun is not 100% stainless steel.

Perhaps I am better just buying separately a cpl of 2nd hand cornys, a stainless steel pluto gun, some decent food grade lines (5mtrs), a regulator and cpl of disconnects?

If I choose to buy all separate is there anything I am missing?

Anything anybody has learnt through trial by error?

Is there certain brands I should be looking for?

l would be very appreciative if anybody has got some good advice on the subject...

Thanks in advance,

$_57.JPG

Get ball lock kegs for starters,

An all fridge is a good place to start, add taps as needed, I started with a pluto but got pretty sick of opening the door every few minutes and soon installed taps in the fridge door.

Yob said:
Get ball lock kegs for starters,

An all fridge is a good place to start, add taps as needed, I started with a pluto but got pretty sick of opening the door every few minutes and soon installed taps in the fridge door.

Why Ball locks Yob, better for what reason?

Not challenging, just curious from a pinlock user cause thats what I got.

Also another question: I have the new coopers fermenter (krausen collar).

For the life of me I can see how I would connect hosing to the new spigot to transfer beer to keg any got any hacks or tips?

Go the plastic picnic taps. Way cheaper (around $5), they pour great and are easy to clean and setup and use. Unless you get a package deal maybe.

I think most people use ball lock kegs which means ball lock replacement parts and hardware are cheaper and easier to get. Plus it means you can use kegs on other people's setups.

I have a coopers fermenter that I don't use anymore. It uses the same diameter hose that you use on regular fermenters. I use 10mm outer diameter clear nylon hose from a hardware shop. It fits inside the tap outlet.

The thing I don't like about the coopers taps is that the hose was a bit of a loose fit in the tap. The hose came out a few times while transferring. Made a nice mess.

I run a pluto gun and i love it. So much easier to keep clean/maintain than taps (unless you spend the money and go all out with snaplok fittings). At the end of a session on the beers, i just fill a container with water and perc, and give the gun a soak for a bit then put it back in the fridge. It stays cold in there too, so you get a foam free pour every time

Had the pluto gun setup for about 1-2 years, finally got around to getting taps etc. couldn't be happier.
Easier, cleaner, less hose flapping about every time you want a beer.
I did have to change my carbing methods to suit the new system though.

Haven't tried anything else so can't comment on taps/Pluto gun etc-I'm using $5 plastic taps(bronco tap I think they're called) on the end of my beer line.Can pull apart to clean and soak + cheap enough to have a spare on hand.

These days I would not buy second hand kegs without seeing them first.

It is awfully expensive sending them back to the ebay seller when they arrive looking like they have been run over by a truck.

pcmfisher said:
These days I would not buy second hand kegs without seeing them first.

It is awfully expensive sending them back to the ebay seller when they arrive looking like they have been run over by a truck.
Whoops.... Just bought 4 x 2nd cornys.... Fingers crossed!

Plastic bronco pours better than Pluto gun, start with that you'll soon drill holes in your fridge for real taps. Ball lock is the standard.

At the time i bought mine the brand new keg king "premium" kegs that are pretty much identical to a ball lock corny were going for $125. I thought about it and by the time i bought all the bits and pieces to refurbish second hand ones and give them a thorough cleaning i was probably up around the cost of the new kegs anyhow, so that's what i bought. Can't go past them they are great kegs

+1 to ball lock - more commonplace, but also a bit narrower, so easier to squeeze more in the fridge.
+1 to brand new premium Keg King kegs - I just wish I could get them as cheap as $125 delivered.
-1 to bronco tap or pluto gun - you have to open the fridge every time you want a beer. That's a lot of cold air wasted.

I got some inter taps through keg king for my coffin keezer and they are pretty good, but I don't really like the flow control one, I would deffinatly recommend them

HI All,

I now have my temp setup running: 1 corny keg with co2, pluto gun all on 4mm line.

I have 4 intertaps turning up soon from KK, 4 way manifold, gas/beer disconnects, stepless clamps... basically the whole shebang to convert my fridge into a kegerator.

Anyhow for now I am running just a pluto tap

The problem is I keep getting a lot of wastage, roughly a pint every 6 schooners. I purged firstly, forced carbed the keg on point at 30 psi and rocked for 2 mins. Currently at 10 psi for serving. After I let the gun run some foam it comes good with a good pour. Though i think I am losing to much good beer to start off with.

All the lines are sealed correctly and the gas line has stepless clamps (even the connection between the beer line & pluto gun has stepless clamps), but for the life of me I just can't nail a perfect beer with losing a heap of good beer.

Any ideas on how to solve this would be much appreciated

Latest posts

Back