Some kegging questions....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyrusty

Reaction score
Hi Guys sorry noob to kegging....

1.In the Ross method of Forced Carbonation it says rock the keg for 50 sec at 300 (45 psi) KPA, the turn off gas a rock for 60 sec until the KPA 140-160 and leave for 50 min. I have written from memory - so may not be exact BUT It does not say anything about the regulator. After I have turned gas off to shake more do I just leave the regulator as it was set or turn it to 0?

2. Once the beer is carbonated should I leave the gas on it at carb level say at 15 psi or if I remove gas line will it stay carbonated? It is funny it seems obvious too people that know this, and I have watched a few videos, read pdf's, and there is always a few important bits left out.

3. Once you depressurize to get to pouring PSI - that CO2 that came out, does that effect the carbonation level?

4. If I leave keg out of fridge (once carbonated), will that stay carbonated no gas line attached. I assume the keg is like a bottle once you crack it open it will loose some carbonation but if you recap it will stop losing carb. The temperature will be different of course which will effect the pressure. But I thought if there only about 5 or schooners left I might bottle those and get ready for next. If there was enough pressure left in I might be able to bottle without having to attach gas line (not that is a problem). But I know a guy who bumps up the pressure and takes keg to a party puts in an ice bath without gas and pours nearly the whole 19l without gas (not sure how he has does not get foam??) ... Trying to get my head around all this :). Probably answered my own question 4 but if you don't tap off the same day?? If I store carbonated keg outside fridge should bump up the pressure to say 20 psi and disconnect gas line - that will kept level of carbonation?

5. If I just did a normal carbonation some say 4 days, some say 2 weeks (seems a long time?) but I guess depends on PSI etc...There is not a lot of info about this and the thread had a number discussion but went back to 2006, so I am not sure if has changed. I have standard Keg King reg and bottle.

6. If I only have space for one keg in fridge and want to carbonate outside fridge so ready to put in fridge - I know PSI is 8 or so fridge and 25 or so outside...But does that use a lot more C02... The gas does not seem escape but there must be a difference?

Thanks

I chill the beer down over night. Crank up the regulator to 300 kpa and attach the gas disconnect to the gas post. Lay the keg on its side with the gas post at the bottom. Rock for 30 secs, turn off the gas at the bottle and rock for another 25-30 or until the dial is approx 100 kpa. Put the keg back in the fridge and then dial the regulator down to 100 kpa (pouring pressure) from 300kpa. I stick my finger in the gas disconnect and press the pin. After approx 20 mins I pull the pressure relief valve on the keg and then hook up the gas line to the keg and burp it a couple of times. Then attach the beer line and pour a beer. The first one is always foam but that soon dissipates. Sometimes if its a liitle under gassed I will leave the gas turned on and hooked up for a few hours. I overcarbed my beer the first time I did it after reading the times you have mentioned for rocking it. Ross kindly called me and walked me through it. Have used the same process for 10 or so years and works for me.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back