Kegging Issues - Going Insane

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiesy

Illmatic
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is driving me nuts...

I've been kegging for maybe 5-years now, same setup, never had this issue before. I have a twin tap kegerator, both kegs are pouring foam. It started with one keg, I thought maybe the poppet was blocked with hob debris, it was. Took it and the dip tube out, cleaned them and reinserted. Did this another few times as well. The last time I pulled it out it was fine. Now the other keg, which had been pouring fine for weeks is foam city. So I thought maybe they're overcarbed, even though the Micromatic is set to 100 KPA, which has never been an issue on my setup (I run Perlick flow controls, btw). I disconnected gas, bled off a fair bit of pressure and continue to pour for a week without gas hooked up.... still foam.

I have removed and cleaned poppets on both kegs. I have removed, stripped, soaked in PBW and re-assembled both taps. I have lowered fridge temp. I have lowered gas pressure. I have cleaned lines. Foam. I can see it in the lines exiting the keg.

I just don't get it. I haven't changed anything, but something is causing these beers to foam as they exit the keg.

Any ideas? I am going nuts, and it is really detracting from enjoying homebrew right now (thankfully my garage fridge is pouring fine, bronco tap of all things).

Maybe my reg is fucked, as it has to be something happening within the beer - beer pours under-carbed but with heaps of foam (hallmarks of over-carbed, right?)... I'm stumped.

Removed keg 1's beer disconnect, pressed the pin in and refitted - now appears to be working fine. Must have been an air pocket in there? Keg 2 has got even more hop debris in there... bloody hell, that's about 5 cleans I've done now! I will never be dry hopping commando again.

Latest posts

Back