Long Time Members Who Dont Post Much

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is good to so see many "old" familiar names again. On a positive note I tend to post if I can add to the conversation but usually the questions have already been answered well. Read the forum at least once a day and learn a lot and get a few laughs as well. A great forum.

I've been a member for yonks, Never did anything with it for ages. Posted a few times trying to help people out and usually found other people giving advice over the top of me who actually had NFI. Got fed up and left.

Just recently I have trippled my post count in the last month or so...

Lefty

It is good to so see many "old" familiar names again. On a positive note I tend to post if I can add to the conversation but usually the questions have already been answered well. Read the forum at least once a day and learn a lot and get a few laughs as well. A great forum.

Shame on you Barry a member since 2002 , with your wealth of knowlege , and an impending launch of your new book the 'Brewing Jurrasic styles' by Barry, coming out soon ;).

I can only assume that the meagre 800 posts you have made during that time,

is due to to you capitalist intentions related to maximising the amount of people who will have to buy your book,

by limiting the sharing of your endless brewing knowlege on the forum.

Pumpy :D

long time member with a very low post count. i havent had the need to post as most of the information i need has already been posted. I am only just starting to migrate to all grain so im pretty sure the posts/questions will increase.

long time member with a very low post count. i havent had the need to post as most of the information i need has already been posted. I am only just starting to migrate to all grain so im pretty sure the posts/questions will increase.

Might have to be a record there poompy!

Well I'm just a lazy typer......but good reader and I check in most days :)
Cheers, Adam

I just come here to occupy time between hands of online poker. It's hard to post between 'dings' ;) :p
Have learnt a lot lurking though.

[
. The poor buggers writing sound advice seem to be too quickly drowned out or ignored in favour of some silly and usually full-on illogical argument.

This is the reason some people dont post as much. Lurking is better. Hard to bite your tongue sometimes though. I am guilty of "biting" sometimes. Still a great site though.

Im no expert, but if i have experience with something, i will share that experience, not quote a website or text book.
Yep....I second both of those comments. When I joined, sharing information was what it's all about with the occasional blow up. These days it seems it's all about "show me your ****" pictures & bulk buys, and almost every thread seems to descend into a shitfight that takes over the original post topic and leaves new members (and old I'm sure) wondering if this is a brewing forum or now some kind of virtual UFC venue.
I have deleted probably 20 posts (after writing them but before hitting the submit button) for every one I have posted this year........I doubt that's going to change as these days one has to watch what one says lest the trolls mi-interpret (deliberately) & twist it a little and run with it.... :( Opinions REALLY aren't worth sharing anymore, no-one seems to be able to respect anyone else's right to have one....bit of a shame really - let's hope it's just a little phase eh?

It seems that I rarely happen upon a thread these days that gives consistent sound advice. The poor buggers writing sound advice seem to be too quickly drowned out or ignored in favour of some silly and usually full-on illogical argument. To be honest, I can't even recall a promising thread I have looked at in recent times that didn't quickly depress me.

+1 Pat

Some of the shite advice offered these days gets me a bit hot under the collar. I begin to type a reply and then just give up and click on the back button. Have spoken to lots of others who now do the exact same thing. Good sources of factual homebrewing info such as Palmers "How To Brew" and brewing technical documents abound on the internet and yet there are those brew terrorists who persist in feeding crap info to brewing newbs. :angry:

Screwy

I read the forum everyday. Post when I feel that I have something to offer. Often beaten by someone with a quick trigger finger.

Cheers

I agree with the sentiment here. A couple of times while researching some stuff I come across a really old thread and it always amazes me how much different it was back then. The advice was good, unbiased and genuinely aimed to help people. These days it seems as if most posts are agenda-driven. Its either somebody trying to show how much they know about something (when they often know very little) or a retailer trying to flog one of their products or some other commercial objective. I must say I think allowing sponsorship has been a big factor. Seen it destroy plenty of forums and hoping this one doesn't follow the same path.

Bring back the old days I say! :icon_cheers:

To be honest, I can't even recall a promising thread I have looked at in recent times that didn't quickly depress me.

Yep I am getting a little :icon_offtopic:
To be honest, I would have to agree. Some threads do turn into a bit of a rabble but then that's the nature of the beast.I have not been around as long as some but understandably things have changed. Since joining near on 4yrs ago the membership has increased by over 10,000!! Fark!!! I tend to throw out queries through PM's to someone I think can give me an answer from their experience. Ask one question on a thread and end up with 10,000 answers :lol: But what I will say is that I have met and made a good network of brewers.
AHB you get out what you want to put in.

Im no expert, but if i have experience with something, i will share that experience, not quote a website or text book.

Yep, one of my pet hates. Second sought of pet hate is when the same person posts 1 minute apart on the same thread.Would it not be easier to edit / update the previous response? On occassions I am guilty of it but I try to also be mindful about not doing it.

BYB

+1 Pat

Some of the shite advice offered these days gets me a bit hot under the collar. I begin to type a reply and then just give up and click on the back button. Have spoken to lots of others who now do the exact same thing. Good sources of factual homebrewing info such as Palmers "How To Brew" and brewing technical documents abound on the internet and yet there are those brew terrorists who persist in feeding crap info to brewing newbs. :angry:

Screwy

Verbatim to what Screwy said. Simple advice just don't cut it anymore so I only post to shit-stir. :p

Warren -

Benny It is Quality not Quantity

Pumpy :)
The UK brew forums are a good example of people keeping on topic and most of the posts are helpful and informative "where can I get good hops in the Norwich Area" sort of thing. They do strike me as being a bit geeky compared to our forum with nothing really equivalent to the banter that goes on in the Case swap threads or the "Chinese hops - what next?" thread. However I am also a member of an Australian forum (Digital TV) which has about six times the membership of AHB and the threads very quickly get to fifteen or twenty pages within a few days. I don't visit there often anymore as I find it's a soulless place nowadays.

This current thread has got me thinking that AHB forum seems to be about the right size and mix, but unfortunately attracts some trolls and shitfights and it would be great to see the Mods jump a bit more firmly on these. The 'pub' , the 'nothing' thread and others in the off topic area are a good idea for bored people who want to post pictures of dogs and watermelons and leave the brewing threads for on topic stuff.

(reformed Bribie B) )

Back