Long Time Members Who Dont Post Much

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JM was well before my time, but if you check his profile "Last Seen: 6th December 2005 - 03:37 PM "

I'm an old member who does't post much at all, but check every couple of Days.If this was a comp i think i could win??

With 0.009 posts a day, I think...

...WE HAVE A WINNER! :D :D

Cheers - boingk

I have come accross the jovial monk somewhere, but it couldnt have been here hmmmmm

Thing with all forums is that at first its more "enthusiast" based and passing on knowledge. As the forum increases in size and age you get small groups who know one another in "real life", people who communicate via other mediums, facebook, MSN, Skype, phone etc. you get 'clicks' and because people become more relaxed in the presence of freinds that they have made via the forums, topics more easily get taken off topic.

Then you get the random "new guy" who has text book knowledge but little to no real world experiance who starts telling every one they are wrong. People get pissy, the newer brewer gets confused cause the "relaxed" crew are telling a different story to the "passionate" guy with NFI.

Forums work because of the creating of new threads, repetitive questions etc. this generates traffic, traffic generaes interest, interest leads to discussion/conversation/arguement/birth of new ideas, so on and so on.

As for the good old days of the forum... IMO they were good because you probably didnt take as much notice of the bullshit going on cause you were probably still learning a lot more compared to today. Where as now some of what used to interest you is now "begginers stuff" so you pay more attention to the sideline content, you get pissy with wrong information being presented - particularly to new brewers, and you start to get annoyed with the same people giving wrong information which earlier you wouldnt have noticed as much.

I'm a newer member / brewer and I've found AHB to be an invaluable resource so far. I find it to bevery freindly to n00b brewers. My only critism would be if find the layout a little confusing especially to a n00b as to where to look for certain topics, where to post certain questions etc

As for comments regarding commercial advertisers. I've got to be honest this board is one of the cleanest boards ive come across as far as commercial vendors not always pushing there wares but also the commercial vendors actually give advice and enter discussion as contributing members.

As for the good old days of the forum... IMO they were good because you probably didnt take as much notice of the bullshit going on cause you were probably still learning a lot more compared to today. Where as now some of what used to interest you is now "begginers stuff" so you pay more attention to the sideline content, you get pissy with wrong information being presented - particularly to new brewers, and you start to get annoyed with the same people giving wrong information which earlier you wouldnt have noticed as much.

Very true...

Sometimes I wonder if threads like this end up as self fulfilling prophecies on forums... someone makes a thread, everyone then starts to 'notice' the 'noise' more, more comments get made about threads derailing and petty crap where it would have normally be ignored and the mood of the forum in general shifts, the prophecy snowballs

Anyway, just thoughts...

I miss Pint of Lagers (POL) posts, straight to the point with straight down the line factual answers. Her wealth of knowledge is something that I miss on here.
Cheers
Steve

I dont post a whole lot because some people want to correct my spelling and Punctuation rather than help or let me help.
I Post alot more on my local forum which have people with great knowledge.
Where, if,you"re, not, careful, you'll, still, get, picked, up, by, the, grammar, nazis.
:ph34r:

+ they are easier to track down and beat the shit out of if you don't agree with them ...... Butters included.

BYB
You're just jealous cos I'm better looking than you, and have tons more hair. :unsure:

:lol: ha ha ha! Hear hear! Bring back The Monk!
OMFG.....isn't he too busy now that LOTR is popular again?

Where, if,you"re, not, careful, you'll, still, get, picked, up, by, the, grammar, nazis.
Hey, I resemble that remark. I was just correcting some ambiguity. Apologies.

Does someone having a bet going for longest time not posting, and are they just baiting everyone else into this thread to collect?

I've been an AHB member for 2 years and posted moderately in that time. Definitely more questions than answers from me, but some of those questions have prompted great responses that have undoubtedly helped others. So people should ask more questions, I say :icon_cheers:

AHB is a great site and the one I visit more than any other for anything beer/brewing related. Most of the other web sites and books out there are American, so it's great to have something truly local with a genuine community feel.

In an earlier post, Domonsura mentioned the word respect. I think that is a word everyone should remember whenever they post, that will go a long way to making AHB a more nurturing environment for new members and for furthering the aims of the site itself. Really, why say anything unless you can keep it on topic and positive?

The long-term, prominent members of this site that have helped me and so many others here are LEGENDS in my book. Don't get cynical guys, because you are appreciated and we need you! Ignore the crap and keep on trucking :beerbang:

Julez

But you all live in the same state so i can come around and give you a slap behind the ear :lol:

I miss Pint of Lagers (POL) posts, straight to the point with straight down the line factual answers. Her wealth of knowledge is something that I miss on here.
Cheers
Steve

It is indeed an enormous loss that POL isnt around here any more. But she has a busy life on at home, and her efforts would be lost in the noise.

You'll have to kneel down.

To be pedantic, and to qualify that statement: I'm short. Therefore to slap me behind the ear, you would need to kneel down; otherwise, it would go over my head entirely.

Couldn't help but put the usual AHB spin on things. :lol:

It is indeed an enormous loss that POL isnt around here any more. But she has a busy life on at home, and her efforts would be lost in the noise.

Spot on GL!

A lot of other interesting posts here. For example, Julez who mentioned respect.

I think most people have their strengths and weaknesses and of course, there are a few trolls.

Trolls can easily be banned, temporarily or for good. They never are.

As for the rest of us, we have our strengths and weaknesses and I think maybe we could all do with a lot more moderation. In my old posting days here, I think I wrote a lot of valuable stuff but often would get frustrated with illogic, dishonesty, flames by others and would respond in a likewise childish fashion which may have amused some, excited others but in no way served the brewing community.

Perhaps the long time lurkers here are the best people to be made moderators? These people would surely have skills and self-control that I do not possess.

The inability to edit or delete posts now is also a big minus. I always used to delete/edit my posts, sometimes through sheer embarrassment but more often to clarify information for future readers. (And yes, you can check with Doc, I wasn't the reason edits/deletes got removed.) In the BIAB thread I used to be able to modify the first four posts so everyone could stay updated. This is now impossible and there is no way now of keeping new BIABrewers updated.

I think this site would be well-served by more moderators - enough to be reading every post. I think Dane and Doc would like that as well. Maybe you long time lurkers should offer your services? You are probably the best people to reduce the noise.

A little PP post from,
Pat ;)

P.S. Stagga, Pete from Wagga Wagga stole my avatar for a week until POL corrected it. We do miss him!

PP
Your not the only one who used to get hot under the collar.
I have deleted a few RAW post in tha past.
A matter of fact I wrote a silly post last week that I hope no one ever read.
It's goooone now.

Great to see some old name pop up in this thread. The ghost of yesteryear are still breathing and drinking.

P.s Is that goat Yeeeeeros still kicking and are the limericks still flying in the hills of SA?
Swedeholic aka Matti

Back