Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vials arrived and I got an old packet of wy1388 yeast to practice on.

I've got it on the stir plate now and the vials in the pressure cooker.

Do I need to sanitise the glycerine? Should I simply put the glycerine in the vials and then pressure cook them before adding the slurry? That would sanitise the vials and the glycerine

Yeah mate. Glycerine and vials need to be sterilised. I fill them 1/4 with glycerin, 1/4 with water then sterilise. 15min at 100°C+ in a pressure cooker will do.
Then they can be filled the rest of the way with yeast slurry and frozen.
Hope that helps.

Successfully restarted some 3787 from last years tripel (possibly 2 years ago I cant remember).

Nice white layer of creamy yeast, now in the freezer with 25% glycerine, 25% water, 50% slurry to be spun up as a test in a month.

I put the vials in a container insulated with ice packs. I filled the container half way with salty water and can slide the vials in and out of their "slots".

Got some 1388 crashing to decant and then some Dennys Favourite that I'll start up for a brew and freeze a few vials. I think I'll get some ESB 1968 and some 3068. That should cover me for most of my brews and see me through a year or two.

I've got ESB 1968 and American Ale II, just need a few more and I'll be mostly good too.

checked it this morning, the contents of the vial seem to be frozen... is that right?

Not solid, if I shake it up it becomes an icey slurry

I've just put some more yeast in the bank and noticed the original vials are frozen solid.

It was 12-13ml out of 45-50ml. So 25-30% glycerine and it is still frozen.

Is that ok?

edit: nevermind I reread through the start of the thread and it looks like it will be fine.

Anyone in Newcastle interested in some Glycerine? I just purchased 5L for $9/L

You're a bad man yob. :)
30 * 50ml microwavable tubes.
Now a starter of wyeast Scottish ale and try spring some up.
::slipperySlopeContinues::

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1464594015.439088.jpg

Yes , slippery slope.....

I've got about 8 varieties in packs of 3 frozen down now. Handy when time or unavailability of a strain, can keep brewing. Most of my local shops only stock dried so this method has come in handy.

I just struck up to life a 1084 that's been down for 4 months now. No probs. I tend to run my glycerine at 35% to 40% total vial amount as the 50% slurry I add into the vial ontop of the glycerine water mix already has some water in it. Mine are at -18', and when I look at them they are not frozen up, just sort of in a really thick state. Just under a solid.

Tks to Bribie and Yob for paving the way.

I went up to %50 and they remained fluid, however, it seemed at least anecdotally that ot took a lot longer on the plate to expel the glycerine first at start-up so I knocked it back to %25 and while they solidify, I do get seemimgly faster start times so have stuck with that ratio

In the yeast book Chris White and Jamil Z make the point that the problem with freezing yeast is dehydration of the yeast cells. The glycerine keeps them from dehydrating, not freezing. If your vial freezes solid it isn't a problem, so long as the yeast are stored in a glycerine solution. Mine freeze solid at 25%, and kick off just fine. I too have noted the greater lag at around 50% glycerine.

Latest posts

Back