Let's Freeze Some Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question, this seems to be the most relevant place to ask. I've got some Terumo disposable syringes from the chemist, they look to be older models of the Nipro which are apparently PP (autoclavable). I've seen some for 45 cents a pop but if I can reuse them...why not. Do you pressure cook the syringes and if so, how?

For transfer? I don't bother with syringes any more, just tip directly from flask or pack. Less process and equipment

I love this thread - definitely catering to my inner nerd. I made up some extra wyeast American Ale II from a starter for my last beer. Froze them last week. Will have to wait and see if they'll fire up.

I pulled one out last night that's been in the freezer for 18 months, will note it's progress for folks over the weekend. I hope to have it on the plate tonight for a first step and into a 3L starter by tmoz night and pitch Sunday (+ restock 3 vials)

So this is is about 18 months in the deep freezer

with my 500ml flasks in the fridge with some 1728 in them I had to use a bigger flask for the first step of 1.020

at 12 hours there were clear signs of respiration which I thought was pretty good, the first step like this isnt really about building number but more restoring health.

so at the 12-18 hour mark I make a further 200g into 1.5L, chill and tip the whole lot in.

at 18 hours later I have this, Ive let it go till tonight and have turned the plate off.

I'll let this lot settle out of it's own accord before decanting and pitching toward the end of the week.

Overall, pretty happy with an 18 month old sample, Ive done older ones with very similar results and this is fairly typical of the reactions I get.

Cheers

Yob said:

Overall, pretty happy with an 18 month old sample, Ive done older ones with very similar results and this is fairly typical of the reactions I get.

Cheers
that semen sample really did take off

I found a box of these at work today. 500 of them! Autoclavible too.
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1462962214.862089.jpg

Yep I think 50ml is a better size than the 28ml ones I've been using which are a bit of a pain in the arse to revive.
Growing up some 1272 as we speak.
I've borrowed about 20 of them...

Damn it. Should not have read this thread.
So time to buy some vials.....
Why are there so many expensive "money-saving" detours in the "cheap homebrew" rabbit warren?

"it'll pay for itself in no time"

The real advantage is just having all your favourite yeasts as a perpetual supply... The never ending list of equipment is of no consequence...

Bulk glycerine
Flasks of various sizes
Stirplates / yeast forge
Army of vials
Bulk dme (or frozen wort from ya brews)
Deep freezer space

Whole other (worthwhile) hobby in its own right

I made a 2L starter and put 1.8L into my wee heavy, and let the rest settle out in a jar and put yeast into a vial. Got it sitting in the fridge. If I don't make another beer with it in the next month or 2, I'll run up a starter in a month or two and do the same.

Will need to read through the thread again and start purchasing supplies to start freezing yeast.

you can get a small amount of glycerine from coles, 200ml I think..

better to freeze as soon as you can to keep as much health in the yeast as possible, if you don't have any vials, shoot me your addie and I'll send you a couple up to get you started.

all you really need additional to what you probably already have is the glycerine and vials.

:party:

Yob said:

with my 500ml flasks in the fridge with some 1728 in them I had to use a bigger flask for the first step of 1.020

at 12 hours there were clear signs of respiration which I thought was pretty good, the first step like this isnt really about building number but more restoring health.

so at the 12-18 hour mark I make a further 200g into 1.5L, chill and tip the whole lot in.

at 18 hours later I have this, Ive let it go till tonight and have turned the plate off.

I'll let this lot settle out of it's own accord before decanting and pitching toward the end of the week.

Cheers
So as a follow up to this, I let it all settle out and pitched a cube last night, there was a little bit of yeast left in the flask so I thought I'd run out 1.5L

Overnight this happened

I know its a little mucky but I can just rinse the yeast at the end once it's dropped clear and re freeze.. looks like this 1217 will be going back into cryo in a few days

What temp. you running that Yeast Forge at? Difficult to see from the piccies & seems to vary from one to the next (unless I'm seeing spin-speed?).

When CB gets a new shipment of those babies in, I'm grabbing one for myself :) .

Back